News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Why the Atheists, Agnostics, and Non-Christians Will Save The Church

Started by Sandra Craft, January 28, 2018, 09:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I found this interesting, esp. given the popularity of atheist Sunday groups: Why the Atheists, Agnostics, and Non-Christians Will Save The Church

QuoteI see a strangely beautiful congregation assembling; many of those who claim the Christian faith—alongside those who no longer feel at home in the Church, people of differing traditions, those who aren't sure what they believe, and those with no religious affiliations at all. They are all speaking together with a singular, steady, strong voice—one that declares the inherent value of all people, a love that knows no caveat or condition, and the desire to live these days together well. It's as close to the thing Jesus was doing than anything I've seen before.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

There are such groups, Unitarians, Universalists and others of no narrowly defined religious propensity.

Today I finished a book titled: Kidnapped by the Taliban.   The author, Dilip Joseph, is a devout Christian. He a physician who has committed  himself to working with an NGO in Afghanistan.  During his four days of captivity by the Taliban barbarian fighters, he discovered that they are humans like the rest of us.  He talked to his captors, particularly one young Afghan named Wallakah.  The two of them reached a state of understanding and care for each other.  The Christian doctor and the devoted Muslim became as brothers.  Wallakah was obliged to treat Dilip as a hostage but no less a worthy human.  Dilip saw Wallakah and some of the others not as murderous fanatical Talibani, but living, breathing, men who had ambitions for a better life for themselves and their families. Jesus or Mohammed were not involved.

The captives including two other NGO workers, who were Afghans  and equally imperiled, were rescued by the Navy SEAL unit six. They were the same unit that Killed Osama Bin Laden.  One of the SEALS  died as a result of the rescue event.  This was all about the feeling of human brotherhood that was revealed in the episode.  It transcended the separate religions and embraced our sense of human decency on both sides of the insane conflict. 

In this book I embraced the religious beliefs of both sides, hard assed theist that I am. 

Dragonia

I can see why this "movement" (not sure that word is right) is catching on. People want community, to belong to something bigger than themselves, to be accepted just like they are, to have an organization through which they can volunteer or donate time or money. And that is lost when a person leaves The Church.
This kind of group has the potential to restore those things, although I'm not sure it should be called Church. Maybe it could be Gathering, though that has a wiccan ring to it. Maybe ...oh hell I don't know.
But from the last paragraph of the article:
QuoteMore and more I am certain that the Church .... will be redefined and renovated by those organized religion disregards, ignores, and vilifies. It will be composed of the motley assortment of failures, frauds, and messes, who realize that the table isn't big enough yet—but that it's worth building, no matter what it's called.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dragonia on January 29, 2018, 02:59:26 PM
This kind of group has the potential to restore those things, although I'm not sure it should be called Church. Maybe it could be Gathering, though that has a wiccan ring to it. Maybe ...oh hell I don't know.

I'd be fine with Gathering.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Old Seer

In order for the world to ever be at peace all religions and governments will have to be removed. It won't be done until all take a walk through Atheism. It won't be a matter of saving any religions, it will be religions will be removed. If religions go, so will governments as they are both the same. They rule over people-any ruler ship over people is government. If government is removed religions take it's place. I religion is removed so also will be government. I'm sure all are aware that one can be capable of "governing the self".
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

Peace and humanity, can not coexist. Humans suck, the whole stinking lot of them!

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on February 09, 2018, 07:35:35 PM
Peace and humanity, can not coexist. Humans suck, the whole stinking lot of them!
Them:headscratch:

"Still, they have one thing I envy. Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die."
--Markus Zusak
:shrug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Old Seer

Quote from: No one on February 09, 2018, 07:35:35 PM
Well. It depends upon what one understands "Human" to mean, or, what one's interpretation is. To an Old Seer human means "one who is Humane".
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.