News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Language oddities and funnies

Started by Dave, June 12, 2017, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

On my phone in hospital waiting room, reading Bill Bryson's book.

Quote"Shakespeare  used 17 677 [different] words in his writings, of which at least one tenth had never been used. Imagine if every tenth word you wrote were original."

That presumambly excludes  typos. Hmm, might try that . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Listrning to "Quote Unquote", a comedy quiz prog on quotations, on the BBC

St Paul's Cathedral in London, built after The Grest Fire, was variously described as "amusing,"  "awful" and "artificial and it's architect, Christopher Wren,   was very pleased.

In the 17th century "amusing" meant "amazing", "awful" - "inspiring awe", and "artificial" - "artistic".

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

learning Spanish... keep running into cool things like the phrase for "wrench" is "llave inglesa" which is literally "English Keys".

I wonder why...

Magdalena

Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 03:21:13 PM
learning Spanish... keep running into cool things like the phrase for "wrench" is "llave inglesa" which is literally "English Keys".

I wonder why...
I'm not sure but could it be because they were manufactured in England?  :eyebrow:
Llave inglesa.
Una persona inglés es de Inglaterra. I don't think they're using "English" as in the English language, I think it's more like a nationality.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on November 17, 2017, 04:13:41 PM

I wonder why...
I'm not sure but could it be because they were manufactured in England?  :eyebrow:
Llave inglesa.
Una persona inglés es de Inglaterra. I don't think they're using "English" as in the English language, I think it's more like a nationality.  :notsure:
I took it meaning the nation, when and where wrenches were invented is probably lost in history - perhaps an Englishman introduced them?

I think "French fries" has nowt to do with France, and who in Brussels grew the first sprout I wonder? Those are not so obscure as "English keys".

Oh, in Britain the tool used to smooth the mortar between laid bricks is a "Frenchman".

[4kposts minus 10 and counting.]

joeactor

Thanks Mags and Dave...

I gotta say, it's fascinating learning a second language in my fifties.

xSilverPhinx

I wonder why...

Yo tambien tengo que aprender español. :grin:

I may have an advantage though, as Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. "Wrench" would be "chave inglesa", which also literally translates to "English keys".   8)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 08:30:36 PM

I'm curious...what were your expectations? :tellmemore:

joeactor

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2017, 09:23:23 PM

I wonder why...

I may have an advantage though, as Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. "Wrench" would be "chave inglesa", which also literally translates to "English keys".   8)

That's cool...  Maybe Spanish will help me with Catalan and Portuguese next. One language at a time, though.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2017, 09:24:46 PM
Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 08:30:36 PM

I'm curious...what were your expectations? :tellmemore:

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. I took 2 years of high school Spanish, but didn't do that well. None of it really stuck. I'm at the point where I recognize words and phrases, but not fluent. I'm hoping there's a point where it becomes more effortless.

My wife is also learning, but this is her 4th language. Our perspectives and approaches differ. She's coming at it from a mechanics perspective (verb conjugation and such), and I'm just memorizing at present.

One advantage I've got is pronunciation. Although, it's a disadvantage too. I've already tried a few phrases on native speakers and they assume I'm fluent. Then I have to stop and ask for English!

I'm sure I'll get there with more practice, and maybe a bit of tutoring in the future.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2017, 09:23:23 PM

"chave inglesa" Muy interesante.  :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 09:31:12 PM
That's cool...  Maybe Spanish will help me with Catalan and Portuguese next. One language at a time, though.
My grandpa spoke Catalan, it sounds like a mixture of French and Spanish. Because I already knew Spanish, I had to take four years of French in high school while I learned English...It was not easy, but it was fun.  :)

Magdalena

One advantage I've got is pronunciation. Although, it's a disadvantage too. I've already tried a few phrases on native speakers and they assume I'm fluent. Then I have to stop and ask for English!
I remember this stage, I think it's the most difficult and embarrassing.  ;D You know enough, but not enough...You know what I mean, right?  ;D

joeactor

Quote from: Magdalena on November 17, 2017, 09:49:37 PM
I remember this stage, I think it's the most difficult and embarrassing.  ;D You know enough, but not enough...You know what I mean, right?  ;D

Excactamente! I'm hoping to get past it soon.

Magdalena

Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 09:51:16 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 17, 2017, 09:49:37 PM

Excactamente! I'm hoping to get past it soon.
This is when you go into high gear. Break that barrier. Laugh with those who laugh at you and with you, that's how you'll learn. People are always happy to correct you.  :snicker:

My man gets a little bit mad when I laugh at his English, and my son get a little bit mad when I laugh at his Spanish. It's part of learning another language.