News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 27, 2017, 03:18:42 AM
...with Johannesburg classified as a forest.

Interesting. I only passed though downtown Joburg and would describe it more like an urban jungle. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 27, 2017, 11:38:52 AM
Quote from: Icarus on December 26, 2017, 11:50:26 PM
You said that the two were in a maternity ward.  In that case, Joint accommodation may have some undesired connotations for dirty old men.  :-[  Hint: "Joint" is one of the many slang expressions that refers to the penis)

:o

I did not know that...

Did you want to ?

:D

Might have to start a "Euphemism for penis" thread just for your education.

:devil:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 27, 2017, 12:16:10 PM
You said that the two were in a maternity ward.  In that case, Joint accommodation may have some undesired connotations for dirty old men.  :-[  Hint: "Joint" is one of the many slang expressions that refers to the penis)

I did not know that...

Did you want to ?

I want to know everything! :lol:

Go on, I dare ya. :devil:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 27, 2017, 12:28:05 PM

I did not know that...

Did you want to ?

OK!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 27, 2017, 12:35:47 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 27, 2017, 12:28:05 PM

I did not know that...

Did you want to ?

OK!

:lol: If anyone opposes, we blame Icarus. :devil:

:P

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 27, 2017, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 27, 2017, 03:18:42 AM
...with Johannesburg classified as a forest.

Interesting. I only passed though downtown Joburg and would describe it more like an urban jungle. :grin:

You saw the worst part of the city. The old central business district of Johannesburg with the tall buildings is only a small part of of the city, which is more than 1700 square kilometers in size. Much of the rest of the city and the suburbs are estimated to contain about 10 million trees. This is a typical scene in the Northern suburbs, where I live.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 07:55:05 PM

We've got those.
There's a town a bit north, they have an annual jacaranda festival.
A guy from there wrote a song inspired, at least initially by them.
Jacaranda is hard to roll into song so he changed it to flame trees.

We had one in the backyard, it was my favourite climbing tree.
One day I pissed off an older brother, ran, jumped into my jacaranda
Jump works well with jac, maybe he never thought of that.

I heard Lou appreciate the local factory out of worker line.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Ok, I've run into the worst case scenario: the dreaded obscure term for something that doesn't even turn up more than one Google hit in the original language it's written in. The words I searched for are "comorbidades sorológicas"(as is in the original). "Sorológica" is "serological" and "comorbidades" is "comorbidities", except the original in Portuguese doesn't seem to be commonly used in the biomedical sciences.  :picard facepalm: It would be something along those lines but I'm having trouble finding the equivalent in English. 

:query:

According to the paper, diseases that fall within that categorisation are HIV, hepatitis A and C, for instance. I'm assuming that it refers to diseases with markers that show up in a blood test (serology = blood serum).

Thoughts?

Icarus

Fernanda try Wictionary.com.   There is no posted definition of the words but there is a request for subscribers to respond, hopefully with definition.  It is not clear whether the words are English, Spanish, Portugese or Swahili.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 19, 2018, 12:32:07 AM
Fernanda try Wictionary.com.   There is no posted definition of the words but there is a request for subscribers to respond, hopefully with definition.  It is not clear whether the words are English, Spanish, Portugese or Swahili.

Yes, wiktionary is useful. Thanks, Icarus! :smilenod:

Recusant

Could you give the sentence in which it's found? Any context at all would be helpful. If the author is discussing diseases that are commonly found through serum tests to be infecting the same person for instance, you could keep both terms and make a slight change to clarify it in English-- "sereologically revealed comorbidities" or something along those lines.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Is it the problem that there are articles that use both words but not the specific phrase "comorbidades sorológicas" ? That, efen in English, the two words together are obscure in meaning (jargonistic), even meaningless?

Recusant's "implant" does seem to make more sense.

xSilverPhinx

Ok, so worst case scenario meets worst nightmare: the words "comorbidades sorológicas'' pop up in several places of the paper.  Good news is, it does clarify it to mean what I thought, they are comorbid diseases, or diseases that co-occur with others, that can be revealed through a blood test.

Some more context:

The paper is on morbid obesity and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. The author mentions a few exclusion criteria for the study, one of which is having tested positive for comorbid diseases such as HIV, hepatitis A or C.

It seems some sort of patchwork is indeed necessary here! :lol: This pic turned up on my Facebook feed, and it describes how I feel right now: