Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Politics / New Politically Correct Language in the US
« Last post by Recusant on Today at 06:43:46 PM »
Almost added this to "The Memory Hole" thread, but it's a somewhat different approach to throttling science that Trump and his fellow kakistocrats don't like.

The Trump administration has determined that certain words will be forbidden from use by the CDC.

"CDC banned from using 7 words, including 'science-based,' in budget documents" | Vox

The Trump administration has reportedly banned officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from using these seven words in budget documents — a move that some are calling downright Orwellian:

• evidence-based
  • science-based
  • vulnerable
  • entitlement
  • diversity
  • transgender
  • fetus

[Continues . . .]
Ask HAF / Re: Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list.
« Last post by Magdalena on Today at 06:23:24 PM »

I hope those guys rushing in got to the beer can before it all spilt.

:lol:
Good one!
There are a lot of groups I follow in which the use of organized religion as a tool of racial oppression is a frequent topic.

Is there racial oppression going on here? it seems a southern black church is doing the oppressing.

Christianity was introduced to slave populations as a form of control. As we see in any population, simply dropping religion isn't a thing.

Combine that with internalized racism (or sexism or any other ism depending on the specific group) and there will always be some amount of people who happily participate in their own oppression.

I had a good vlog on this, I'll have to see if I can find it later.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What are you doing right now?
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 05:01:05 PM »
Just finished re-watching Vanishing Point. Still a brilliant movie after all these years. I kept thinking of Easy Rider during the movie.
Obituaries / Re: Heinz Wollf has died
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:45:31 PM »
Ever heard of "optalysis" optical computing?

Life As An Atheist / Re: sad news
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:37:39 PM »
I am sorry for your loss but, as Icarus intimated prayer is nit really going to be of any practical hrlp - just makes the prayers feel better maybe.

Better to make a donation to some organisation in memory of the lost friend. That way a bit of your love will be converted to helping others.
There are a lot of groups I follow in which the use of organized religion as a tool of racial oppression is a frequent topic.

Is there racial oppression going on here? it seems a southern black church is doing the oppressing.

« Last post by joeactor on Today at 04:33:10 PM »
I hadn't heard of him before. Interesting concept for this program. I liked watching them work together to figure out the best method to solve the problem.

Sorry he's passed on.

I'm in favor of all of our science educators, but have some faves myself.

Julius Sumner Miller was very good. Also Paul Zaloom (Beakman's World), Bill Nye, and of course Carl Sagan.

« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:31:33 PM »
And another one:

And

I cannot find any examples of the actual egg races, where teams have to transport an egg, intact, for A to B fastest, highest etc. All using exactly the same materials.
Life As An Atheist / Re: sad news
« Last post by Recusant on Today at 04:28:01 PM »
She certainly has had some nasty luck. Sorry to hear about that. Praying may help people feel better about her suffering--they believe they're doing something to help her. Believers also can say "God has a plan, this is all for a good reason," and again, feel better about the situation. There's no question that theistic belief can help people feel more comfortable with shitty things that happen, but the reality is they're just shitty things that happen whether anybody manages to insulate themselves from them or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10