Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Religion / Re: "Spirirualisation"
« Last Post by Gloucester on Today at 11:44:49 PM »
I think, at least in my experience, that a lot of the more traditionally religious people don't like the use of the label "spiritual but not religious" by people who believe in some divine power but don't follow a particular creed or church. Growing disillusionment with groups bound to religious institutions is one of the reasons people take to this view. Not only do some look outward to quench their spiritual thirst and feel united with something larger than themselves, but also look inward. 'Spirit' can refer to a collective feeling but it can also refer to individual essence, thus being present in all levels of society.

As an atheist I would much rather refer to my inner essence as 'spirit' over much more loaded words such as 'soul'. IMO the religious 'own' that.  ::)

It seems to be part of the humsn survival toolkit. Should we be so afraid of using it? Are there other terms or phrases that we can use for "spirit" or "spiritual" that give the same sense of a united intent?

Zeitgeist for instance. I can't think of any good ones...'psyche of the times' has an almost cacophonous ring to it. :P 'Milieu'?

Your thoughts, mostly, parallel mine, Silver. English, at least, is riddled with words that have multiple meanings but have, mostly, been attached to one in people's minds. Like "discipline" invokes ideas of "punishment".

"Elan" is little used these days. Er, "zeitgeist" surely means "the spirit of the times" basically?

Politics / Re: Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald
« Last Post by Gloucester on Today at 11:36:07 PM »
An item of casual interest.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpxCl8ylJgE&t=173s
I always thought he talked a load of hyperbollocks.
« Last Post by Gloucester on Today at 11:31:45 PM »
If the anti-facist protesters want to defend themselves perhaps they should carry shields - with a suitable slogans on them.

Because, you know, we just sell shields everywhere. There are other things I don't like with the idea of shields but I don't have time to elaborate right now.
Not talking about police riot shields, more symbolic, home made ones - piece of wood and some rope. The symbolism is "We are prepared to confront and defend - we will leave the aggression up to you psychos."
« Last Post by Icarus on Today at 09:59:34 PM »
« Last Post by Arturo on Today at 08:10:14 PM »
I see "it" as an energy. This energy flows through everything in existence. When the body hosting the energy becomes to frail to carry on, the energy is released and recycled.

Do you mean the force?
« Last Post by No one on Today at 07:28:55 PM »
I see "it" as an energy. This energy flows through everything in existence. When the body hosting the energy becomes to frail to carry on, the energy is released and recycled.
« Last Post by Arturo on Today at 06:39:06 PM »
Collective conscious
Philosophy / Re: I Have Written Down My Philosophy
« Last Post by Arturo on Today at 06:28:42 PM »
Are you OK, Arturo? :scratch:

What does "one step into myself" mean? It's poetic and I would like to fully understand it. Something like introspection?

Self-Actualization through isolation
Nothing wrong with Hondas. They build excellent vehicles. I drive one under their Acura label. But their four cylinders sound ridiculous with a performance exhaust. Even when you see a seven second Civic it's hard not to shake your head when you hear it make a pass. It sounds like it's passing, well... Gas.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: That Awkward Dream
« Last Post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 05:56:35 PM »
...but it was a great dream.

That's great Father Bruno. :tellmemore:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10