News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Caro Emerald - Back it Up

I never heard of her until my sister-in-law took us to see her last week. She's a Dutch jazz singer, great voice and really catchy riffs.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

bisbell6

Today I've been listening to Missing Andy, Loch Lomond, Girls and The Rifles. Does anyone else like any of their music?  Check them out, if you are so inclined!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqTXDLxtNxs&feature=relmfu - Missing Andy "money"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k0Ha1x5U6c  - Loch Lomond, "I love me" - this one amazes me because Ritchie is multi-tasking like an octopus. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqSUK3JEKw4&feature=related - Girls "love like a river"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B47ycgK08X0&feature=related - The Rifles "coming home"
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

markmcdaniel

I have been listening to the group Blackmore's NIght.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tom62

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 18, 2012, 05:33:05 AM
They are OK, but a bit kitchy.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Tom62 on July 18, 2012, 05:51:28 AM
Its almost embarrassing to admit, but I am not familiar with the term kitchy. I tried to look it up in my computers dictionary but it is not listed. I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a definition as that I can properly reply to your comment.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Tom62 on July 18, 2012, 05:51:28 AM
Ok now that I have a definition I will agree with you in part. I do not think this a group that will achieve greatness, but, it is something a bit different it and easy to listen to. 

Crow

Retired member.

Amicale

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 18, 2012, 01:05:09 AM
Today I've been listening to Missing Andy, Loch Lomond, Girls and The Rifles. Does anyone else like any of their music?  Check them out, if you are so inclined!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqTXDLxtNxs&feature=relmfu - Missing Andy "money"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k0Ha1x5U6c  - Loch Lomond, "I love me" - this one amazes me because Ritchie is multi-tasking like an octopus. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqSUK3JEKw4&feature=related - Girls "love like a river"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B47ycgK08X0&feature=related - The Rifles "coming home"

Sounds like you and I are music buddies.  :D This is good stuff, thanks!

I particularly like The Rifles!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

bisbell6

YAY!!! Glad you liked them, Amicale!  I am a great fan of many genres... though I seem to listen mainly to alternative music. 
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so that I may wet my mind and say something clever". (Aristophanes)

Non Quixote

I am generally a fan of all types of music with the absolute exception of rap.  I have even been known to listen to country on occasion, although it would not be my first choice.  Lately I've been on a 60's and 70's rock kick, tracking down live performances from bands of that era.  I recently ran across the last live recording of Hendrix (apparently a bit of a bootleg) and it has been fantastic to listen to.  It's been available for a number of years and it's hard to believe that I had never run across it.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

bisbell6

I have a large collection of 60's and 70's music and eclectic tastes as well ;)  Perhaps you'll share with me where I can listen to the Hendrix recording?  I'd love to hear it!

Non Quixote

Quote from: bisbell6 on July 21, 2012, 05:35:29 AM
I have a large collection of 60's and 70's music and eclectic tastes as well ;)  Perhaps you'll share with me where I can listen to the Hendrix recording?  I'd love to hear it!
It's actually an album produced in '87 called The Last Experience and billed as his last live performance.  Reading a bit more though it looks like it may have been his last recording, not his last performance.  Anyway, google Jimi Hendrix The Last Experience and you should be able to find it.  If not let me know and I'll figure out a way to share my copy.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker