News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Rudeness as perceived in different languages and cultures

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 28, 2019, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 01, 2019, 08:01:46 AM
'I want an extra pillow (or blanket) please.' Is a euphemism for 'Can you arrange a prostitute for me please?'

:o

I did not know that! :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 01, 2019, 09:42:36 AM
'I want an extra pillow (or blanket) please.' Is a euphemism for 'Can you arrange a prostitute for me please?'

This isn't good.  Unless prostitutes bring their own pillows I foresee a serious feedback problem, a self perpetuating, increasing demand for pillows.  Worldwide ramifications could be worse than permafrost thawing, I know I'll be stocking up.

I see what you mean. How are people ever going to have pillow fights when there is a shortage of pillows?

( :secrets1: Should I invest in pillows for the coming price hike?)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 01, 2019, 09:42:36 AM

This isn't good.  Unless prostitutes bring their own pillows I foresee a serious feedback problem, a self perpetuating, increasing demand for pillows.  Worldwide ramifications could be worse than permafrost thawing, I know I'll be stocking up.

No added pillows, or blankets, are actually involved.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2019, 07:09:59 PM

Me either, maybe it's an English thing?  Must make vacationing in England very lively indeed.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 02, 2019, 03:30:10 AM

Me either, maybe it's an English thing?  Must make vacationing in England very lively indeed.

I first heard it in the USA. Asked in South Africa and it works there too. In the UK it tends to be the larger hotels with international clients that know it. If you're internally speculating how I know this I ask. I have spent years in hotels and I always get to know the staff as they can make a stay heaven or hell if they choose to.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on April 02, 2019, 08:19:04 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 02, 2019, 03:30:10 AM

I first heard it in the USA.

Holy Hell.  And the number of times I've asked for an extra blanket and gotten nothing but an extra blanket.  I must not have gone to the best hotels (damn Government travel orders).   :offtobed:
Sandy

Icarus

Icarus

We are now obligated to be very careful about how we select our nouns while in mixed company.  Or does PC suck or not? ......
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/americans-strongly-dislike-pc-culture?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on July 05, 2019, 08:36:57 PM
We are now obligated to be very careful about how we select our nouns while in mixed company.  Or does PC suck or not? ......
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/americans-strongly-dislike-pc-culture?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Using the wrong pronoun can be dangerous in unmixed company too.  I have to say, this honestly surprised me:

Quote from: the articleSo what does this group look like? Compared with the rest of the (nationally representative) polling sample, progressive activists are much more likely to be rich, highly educated—and white. They are nearly twice as likely as the average to make more than $100,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely to have a postgraduate degree. And while 12 percent of the overall sample in the study is African American, only 3 percent of progressive activists are. With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.
Sandy

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on July 05, 2019, 11:26:38 PM
Quote from: Icarus on July 05, 2019, 08:36:57 PM

Using the wrong pronoun can be dangerous in unmixed company too.  I have to say, this honestly surprised me:

Quote from: the articleSo what does this group look like? Compared with the rest of the (nationally representative) polling sample, progressive activists are much more likely to be rich, highly educated—and white. They are nearly twice as likely as the average to make more than $100,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely to have a postgraduate degree. And while 12 percent of the overall sample in the study is African American, only 3 percent (only? that's 25%) of progressive activists are. With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.

So do these highly educated well paid progressive activists see things the lesser souls don't or are they at the peak of Maslo's pyramid and this how they get their zing?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bad Penny II link=topic=16136.msg389216#msg389216

So do these highly educated well paid progressive activists see things the lesser souls don't or are they at the peak of Maslo's pyramid and this how they get their zing?

Why the "or"?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 06, 2019, 01:38:42 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II link=topic=16136.msg389216#msg389216

Why the "or"?

If being at the peak of Maslo's pyramid means having too much free time on their hands, I'm voting "zing".
Sandy

Icarus