News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Funerals and Family

Started by rickrocks, May 21, 2012, 06:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Hmm... Music... Difficult question. Well, in part, that is - I'm not getting married, so that one is pretty damned easy. As for whatever ceremony some well-meaning asshole might cook up in my memory against my expressed wishes... Well, I think I'd go with Chi Mai.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

To add to my previous post. I don't plan on getting married or having children. The only thing that my family will have to worry about is what to do with my horses, but I plan on making the necessary arrangements beforehand.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

AnimatedDirt

As a Christian, I don't want any fuss over me in death either.  Just cremate me and scatter my ashes somewhere in plants at Disneyland...I would be well cared for there!  :)

Siz

I'm surprised y'all want burnin'. What a waste of good nutrients... If it's the last worthy thing I do, I'd like it to be supporting Mother Earth... for what it's worth...

And Soilent Green isn't such a bad idea...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

I'm not very fond of the idea of sprouting daisies in death... I'd rather let my usefulness end with my life.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

I never thought about the nutrient part of it.  I just think it's silly to donate large swathes of land to sticking dead people in the ground and marking their final resting place with a rock.  That land could be used for something more interesting, like building more Ikeas.

Asmodean

If every cemetery was converted to a nuclear power plant... Bad example, as we'd run out of Plutonium, Uranium and pretty much every other heavy -nium in no time at all, but the idea, it's sound, yes?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

I've always said we should eat dead persons at a funeral banquet.  Very green, less CO2 and pollution ...  And the most sincere celebration of their life.

Mrs Git doesn't really agree, so I expect it won't happen to me.

Siz

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 06:13:09 PM
I never thought about the nutrient part of it.  I just think it's silly to donate large swathes of land to sticking dead people in the ground and marking their final resting place with a rock.  That land could be used for something more interesting, like building more Ikeas.

I don't want to end up in a cemetery. I'm thinking more somewhere where my nutrients will do some good. Like in the middle of nowhere. Or my childrens back garden. Or in the middle of a planted roundabout in Milton Keynes.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 21, 2012, 08:42:29 PM
I don't want to end up in a cemetery. I'm thinking more somewhere where my nutrients will do some good. Like in the middle of nowhere. Or my childrens back garden. Or in the middle of a planted roundabout in Milton Keynes.

...or the well manicured/kept plants and trees at Disneyland.  What better place to be than the Happiest Place on Earth! 

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 09:23:04 PM
What better place to be than the Happiest Place on Earth! 
Yuck! How about... Oh, I don't know... ANYWHERE?  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

rickrocks

I have no idea where my reply went so I'll try to replicate it here.

I've always fancied myself buried in a forest and becoming nutrients for a tree, which in turn provides food, shelter, building materials, etc for so many creatures, until it in turn becomes part of the forest floor out of which springs new life in an endless cycle, until developers hack down the forest, anyway. Then I hope to be some condo-dweller's plumbing problem before I'm washed down to the waste treatment plant!

And Old Git, I can't see myself raising a forkful of you to my mouth, no matter how good the mead is.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 04:08:05 PM
On the other hand, I think that funerals are for the living, not the deceased.  When I'm dead, it won't matter a whit to me if they pray over my corpse; I just hope that my loved ones do whatever gives them the most closure and peace. 

That's my take on it as well and why I have no funeral plans tho I have arranged to have my cremation paid for (hoping I live long enough for inflation to make it very expensive indeed).

My sympathies to Rickrocks as well, both for the loss of family and the showboating of a preacher who decided to use the occasion to be an asshole about his religion.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Sorry to hear about your nephew, rickrocks...my condolences. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hismikeness

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite