News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"You have nothing to believe in? How sad..."

Started by Sweetdeath, July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

This was a response i got today from my friend's friend. I went to high school with a boy named CJ. He's a nice dude who lives in my building. We went to see Spiderman today with HIS friend Tommy.

Tommy and i for some reason got into a discussion about religion. He sad he felt bad for me because i had "nothing to believe in."
He said he didn't understand people without religion, and don't want a connection to "God."

I didn't really know how to answer him, except "I just want to be left alone. I want to live my life. Take responsibility for my own actions. Leave it up to probability and chance, versus prayer and a 'miracle. I just feel no need to have a connection with something i feel does not exist. I feel no void. No emptyness. I make my own choices in life, not guided by a divinity, as most religious people seem to really need a crutch or else their lives don't feel valid. I don't need to be made valid by a supernatural being made up by old men who herded goats."

He didn't say much after that, except tried to ask where he thought my mother went after her death. I said "Nowhere. I guess she just doesn't exist anywhere, except in my memories and photographs."

I didn't mean for that to sound so 'cold', but that's how i felt.

I find it sadder when people look down at me with sympathy , saying they can't imagine a life without something to believe in.

Sorry for the mini-rant. It's been a day. I just want to stay home in the a/c. I really hate holidays X__x;;;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM
This was a response i got today from my friend's friend. I went to high school with a boy named CJ. He's a nice dude who lives in my building. We went to see Spiderman today with HIS friend Tommy.

Tommy and i for some reason got into a discussion about religion. He sad he felt bad for me because i had "nothing to believe in."
He said he didn't understand people without religion, and don't want a connection to "God."

I didn't really know how to answer him, except "I just want to be left alone. I want to live my life. Take responsibility for my own actions. Leave it up to probability and chance, versus prayer and a 'miracle. I just feel no need to have a connection with something i feel does not exist. I feel no void. No emptyness. I make my own choices in life, not guided by a divinity, as most religious people seem to really need a crutch or else their lives don't feel valid. I don't need to be made valid by a supernatural being made up by old men who herded goats."

He didn't say much after that, except tried to ask where he thought my mother went after her death. I said "Nowhere. I guess she just doesn't exist anywhere, except in my memories and photographs."

I didn't mean for that to sound so 'cold', but that's how i felt.

I find it sadder when people look down at me with sympathy , saying they can't imagine a life without something to believe in.

Sorry for the mini-rant. It's been a day. I just want to stay home in the a/c. I really hate holidays X__x;;;

You could always ask  him how he feels about the possibility his mother might be spending eternity in hell( bearing in mind only God knows what resides in the heart of man and who therefore will be consigned to the tender mercies of Old Nick).
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Not having to live for god and eternity, one can live for oneself and the moment, yes? That is nothing to pity, but rather something to look up to, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

He sad he felt bad for me because i had "nothing to believe in."

I feel bad for him because he sounds like a condescending asshole.

(Okay, I don't really feel bad for him.)

Firebird

I think you handled that very well. Forgive me for saying this, but I was expecting to read that you ripped him a new body cavity  ;) He would have deserved it, but you were very effective with your measured response while sticking to your guns.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on July 04, 2012, 11:13:35 PM

I feel bad for him because he sounds like a condescending asshole.

(Okay, I don't really feel bad for him.)

He was a bit. We had a pretty intelligent conversation-- or so i thought. :<

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Firebird on July 04, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
I think you handled that very well. Forgive me for saying this, but I was expecting to read that you ripped him a new body cavity  ;) He would have deserved it, but you were very effective with your measured response while sticking to your guns.

I didn't feel the need to argue. I just wanted to be honest in how i feel about life. At least living MY life. :D

Stevil

I believe with the advancement of scientific discovery and knowledge that one day humankind will cast aside superstitious beliefs, we will progress to a more enlightened, diverse, accepting and supportive society.
It will be terrific.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 05, 2012, 12:00:02 AM
I believe with the advancement of scientific discovery and knowledge that one day humankind will cast aside superstitious beliefs, we will progress to a more enlightened, diverse, accepting and supportive society.
It will be terrific.

Dream on.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: En_Route on July 05, 2012, 12:03:41 AM
It will be terrific.

Dream on.

That's a more realistic dream than a God actually existing.  :P

Stevil

It will be terrific.

Dream on.
Beliefs don't have to be true. It is a belief, so people can't simply tell you are wrong.

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 05, 2012, 12:07:40 AM
It will be terrific.

Dream on.

That's a more realistic dream than a God actually existing.  :P

There's nothing to choose between ideas of heaven on earth and heaven above earth. All of it is pie in the sky.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 05, 2012, 12:08:15 AM
It will be terrific.

Dream on.
Beliefs don't have to be true. It is a belief, so people can't simply tell you are wrong.

So your belief about beliefs need not be true. In which case it may be that beliefs do have to be true.

DeterminedJuliet

I'd probably just say "That's okay, I don't feel sad." and leave it at that.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 05, 2012, 12:08:15 AM
It will be terrific.

Dream on.

So if I say that I believe that creationism is correct you have no response?