News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Why become an Atheist?

Started by s0cks, February 16, 2009, 03:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SallyMutant

I second newblueradio. The same midset that made me non-believe in Santa at 3 or so, clicked and made me non-believer in God in my 40's. I was already agnostic, so no big leap.
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

Cemetery

The cracks in the christian "logic" began to crack in college when I began questioning why I believed in what I had been raised to believe.  I realized that I had been lied to about Santa & the Easter bunny & I figured there had to be other issues.  What got me was when "God" supposedly spoke to Moses & whatnot, but he hadn't spoken since.  Then the "virgin birth" came up & I thought about what a lie that was.  I followed Wicca for awhile, but that didn't seem to make any more sense.  Over the course of some time, I got really involved in forensic science & logic prevailed.  Atheism (really nihilism) made all the sense in the world!  I have since embraced my atheism & I feel so free!!!   :banna:

~C

Ponyboy

I attended bible college for a year and preached every Sunday for two.  My reasons for becoming an atheist are extremely numerous, but it all started when I witnessed the corruption at the highest levels of organized religion. The lies, and mistreatment of people are heartbreaking, and even now I find it hard to talk about. I was never sold on the science of the bible anyway, so from there I asked all the questions I always wanted an answer to, concerning the age of the earth, and how christians can so easily discount Darwin. The greatest question of all for me however, was this: Who created the creator? Isn't it just as easy (or easier) to assume the universe "just is" as it is to say god "just is"?
Of course, they have no answers to ...anything
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do.

tnolte

My mother brought me to church several times when I was younger, and every time I would be forced to pray, it just felt like I was closing my eyes and talking. When I got older in my teen years, I started becoming more intelligent and started thinking more and came to the conclusion that believing in mystical stories and a guy in the sky with a magical wand that went "SHAZAAM!" was crazy, and I felt stupid for even thinking that there may be a higher power.

PipeBox

Was a Christian throughout middle and high school.  [strike:3984yje9]Regular[/strike:3984yje9] Permanent fixture at the prayer circle, FCS, and even participated as a roadie for a local Christian band that only just broke up (composed entirely of people who I still know and call friends).  Was never a church person, though, and was happy to spout scripture to that effect, and proud to call myself just plain ol' Christian rather than religious.  I always acknowledged science as a pillar of humanity, and gave it more interest than my friends did.  I was the rationalizer of the faith, and was told I would do great things to unify science with the perfection of religion.  I openly regarded scripture as corrupted by man, and called Genesis allegory, but I still held the New Testament in highest regard.  Then I went to college.

By the end of my first semester, I had decided that drinking and having sex didn't mean you were possessed.  I even decided that I regretted not being more sociable in high school, though I didn't start in college.  Rather, due to family issues, I postponed further schooling.  I just left with the knowledge that it didn't seem as bad as we all clearly made it out to be in the prayer circle.

I got to see much of the internet, and little arguments got my attention.  I didn't participate in Christian forums, and altogether avoided atheists where possible, but when I saw a comment pop up I rushed to defend the faith.  I slowly accrued information that would end up helping me break away, but it never would have happened were that the end of it.

At some point, I asked myself why I gave faith a pass on so much, and arrived at the decision that surely God wouldn't mind if I thought over his veracity and examined some of the evidence for his existence.  I figured it'd be a learning experience.  Without the faith armor, all the "evidence" came crashing down and I was endlessly disappointed with my answers to various questions.  I asked my Christian friends, feeling they would be more knowledgeable, but no one had good answers for the problem of evil.  Finally, when I got drawn in to an evolution debate (this friend had known I'd always been one to call Genesis allegorical) while asking philosophical questions, a friend asked me why I didn't believe in Genesis and I remarked something to the effect that it was impossible.  He remarked that then I should consider Christ's resurrection impossible, as that was a miracle, too.  And that's when I realized how absurd the whole thing was.  It all came down pretty quickly after that, and I spent about a day rebuilding my philosophy and many weeks learning about the world, without the Bible goggles for a change.  I finally reached a point where I could say "there is no God" with the same certainty I might say "there are no tigers on my lawn," an I've called myself an atheist ever since.

Too long?   :lol:
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

RJMooreII

I've never been anything but an atheist insofar as I've had any coherent opinion on the supernatural.  I simply don't find that supernaturalism is coherent.  I also think that most 'gods' have extensive logical and empirical problems as far as justification goes.

I've never felt any reason to be a theist.  There also seems to be an instrumental dominance of rationality (insofar as one is psychologically inclined to accept its consequences) do to the fact that doxastic inconsistency would lead to a totaly uncertainty of repercussions.
Material reality is logically consistent, this is what 'existence' means.  Logic is, as logic does.

liveyoungdiefast

The great part about 'becoming' an atheist/agnostic/freethinker whatever is there is no process to it, you just are.

ryan-blues

I never found Christianity overly appealing, never one for public singing, especially of outdated and silly hymns. Went to a Church of England School/s between ages of 5-16 but within the U.K. Christianity is generally much more liberal (I assume anyhow from what I have read of U.S. evangelicalism). Religious belief never seemed like a good reason for people to jump up and shout and praise and point to the sky. Sitting in Church and listening to a middle-aged man reading from [a copy of] a 2,000 year old book, droning on about;

Jesus...Love...Sins...Hell...Heaven...Punishment..Jesus...Heaven...Repent...Hell...Heaven...Jesus...Hell...Punishment...Heaven...Sins...Hell...Heaven...Hell...Sins...Hell...Sins etc etc.

This was supposed to represent a way to live a full and happy life because if you followed God he would guide your soul to Heaven (or some other nonsense like that). Unfortunately some of the recurring themes weren't as pleasant as fluffy clouds, nice food, and everyone smiling. It was all a bit surreal and not really in keeping with reality. This was all part of a slow realisation for me, running parallel with a (relatively) open mind and a decent education; first to be placed on the 'not real list' was Santa, then Monsters and Ghosts, then God.

I was agnostic until three years ago or so and I started University (final year now), studying History and Archaeology I recognised the diversity in ritual and spiritual belief throughout man's past. Believing in God was never a fixed state of thought, it didn't have defined boundaries or specific guidelines. Even with Christianity one man's Creationist interpretation is another's figurative explanation of the Big Bang. I went from being unsure about whether a/any God existed (leaning towards atheism) to a complete lack of a belief in God.

Reading, listening, watching... it all helped (providing it isn't a strict combo of some lecherous preacher and Fox News). Watching the pentecost service this morning on TV, somewhere in London most likely, it was interesting studying the programme, especially the people. Thousands of people of all sizes, ages, skin colours and various backgrounds were crammed into some arena standing, clapping, singing, smiling. They all had the same look in their eyes, what I can best describe as staring intently through a glazed lens. They were singing some Christian pop-rock-celebratory "We Love Jesus" songs in unison, yet as the song progressed repitition of particular lines increased, finally ending in a minute long period of reciting these same two lines over and over in verse. Think it was, "Shine the light and let the world see, Jesus rose and conquered the grave."

Looking closely at these two lines you see the first one can be recognised as the archetypal, "Convert anyone you can, it will be good for them" view. And the second suggesting Jesus "conquered" death and resurrected; although considering he represents the Son of God it shouldn't be too hard a feat, I mean is that all he can do!?! Christianity in a nutshell; brainwashing children (and adults), condescending to all, focus on God and getting to Heaven before anyone else, and irrational propositions such as someone coming back from the dead (I am sure this can be applied to all religions to various extents, especially the monotheistic ones). I would much rather immerse myself in history, philosophy, even football (soccer), as opposed to constantly re-reading the bible.
"I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." Bertrand Russell
"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of formi

StardustSteph

I think I may be the odd ball here, but I was raised Jewish. My parents were very liberal and never overly religious, but they still felt this need to uphold "Jewish tradition" I suppose and go to temple for holidays, send me to sunday school, and get me Bat Mitzvahed. I always remember questioning the existence of God, but I was terrified of admitting that he may not exist. I  wasn't afraid of going to hell because we didn't believe in one, but it was such prominent figure in my life that completely denying it made me uncomfortable.

I remember growing up Jewish people would often roll their eyes at Christians for thinking Jesus was some holy being. In our faith we didn't believe that, and we thought it was ridiculous someone did, so did I. That's when I started to think about it more. If I thought it was ridiculous that people thought Jesus was some holy being, then isn't it just as ridiculous to believe in a God that we have no evidence exists? Those thoughts crossed my mind a lot, but it wasn't until after I started college that I truly became an atheist. I went through a difficult time transitioning from high school to college. I had major self esteem issues and depression, and I'd find myself up at night just praying that things would be better. Of course, it never got better. None of it I remember. One day I just decided I was going to take action for myself. I worked hard on improving how I felt about myself, without praying once. I really improved myself from my own dedication. I think that is when I realized that I was the only person responsible for what goes on in my life. After that I just didn't see religon or God as a something that my life needed in it. It all just seemed like a concept people created because it made people feel more comfortable with the unknown, and gave some people an excuse to hate and be intolerant, which above all completely turned me off to all of it. I started delving into topics that had always interested me like astronomy and evolution, but I studied them with an open minded rather than a mind muddled with thoughts that evolution is true, but creationism is also true. My parents seemed fine with it, my uncle is an atheist also and has been probably since the day he was born. Ever since becoming an atheist, I have so much more excitment in life, and I have this passion to learn more and more about everything in the world around us. It has been very freeing, I suppose.

theVastMinority

I was raised Presbyterian, but had a pretty messed up home life as a child.  This forced me to be independant at an early age.  I learned to think for myself (something many folks NEVER learn) and I came up with my own set of core beliefs.  I still don't know what I am exactly, but I probably more of an Athiest than anything else.

rlrose328

I'm visiting my Catholic mom, like we do every summer, and she told me she still prays for me.  I told her that's fine, so to many of my friends back home.

She said her friends at her church asked her if she thinks I'm REALLY an atheist and she told them no, she knows in my heart, I'm a Christian, I'm just confused, influenced by my husband, and she knows I was "burned" by some religious people growing up.

I didn't respond.  No use.  Won't change her mind anyway.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Sophus

Quote from: "rlrose328"I'm visiting my Catholic mom, like we do every summer, and she told me she still prays for me.  I told her that's fine, so to many of my friends back home.

She said her friends at her church asked her if she thinks I'm REALLY an atheist and she told them no, she knows in my heart, I'm a Christian, I'm just confused, influenced by my husband, and she knows I was "burned" by some religious people growing up.

I didn't respond.  No use.  Won't change her mind anyway.
lol I feel your pain. I recently had a gentlemen whom I didn't even know tell me the same thing. He said he prayed for me causing me to have felt in my heart God's calling. He is now convinced I am in denial.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

rlrose328

I'm happiest in denial... I must be because that's where so many people think I am.  LOL!   :sigh:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

thiolsulfate

I used to be a devout Catholic. Three of my aunts are nuns, I have an uncle who is a priest. When I was very young my family was in a horrible car accident and drove off the side of a mountain, flipping several times and ending with the car overturned. We all survived. All of the children walked away unharmed, my parents were in the hospital and treated for shock, my grandmother had some broken bones but that was the extent. My parents ascribed it to god, something that I did as well until I concluded that German engineering was likely more responsible for our survival.

When I was seven my grandmother died, my mother and three year old brother went to the Philippines for her burial (yes, the same brother who no longer believes in god or the supernatural); my mom came back telling us that my brother had seen my grandmother's ghost as well as having seen god and my grandfather. I believed for over a decade until I really thought about a three year old in an overtly Catholic country where he cannot speak the language, surrounded by my aunts and uncle who are part of the ecclesiasty, where you can't throw a dead cat without hitting some religious icon or rendering. One of particular interest was his saying that  he saw a man with a beard with a silver spiky hair. My relatives said it was god and his halo. I went to the house where they stayed for the funeral and saw the print of Jesus with a jagged sort of mirrored halo hanging in the house -- and in other houses -- and in stores -- and on scooters -- and busses -- and inside taxis. It wasn't any surprise that he "saw god everywhere."

I am an atheist because, like these very personal mysteries, there are always better answers to puzzling questions than "god."

In the bible god gets a married woman pregnant without her consent, he leaves the baby to be raised by the mother and her husband, he is totally absent from his child's life for thirty five years, in his absence his child totally disrespects the man who raises him, when god finally returns to his child's life he asks his kid to do him a favor -- a favor that gets his child killed. God is a crap role model.

I am an atheist because that, and many more serious charges against god (e.g. genocide, sexism, slavery, child abuse, rape, murder, pedophilia et al ad nauseam) make god a terrible source for morality.

It is essentially those two things -- the uselessness of god to explain phenomena and the inability to even act as a guiding principle make him, if he exists, totally redundant and unworthy of my acknowledgment except as historical flotsam and preferably jetsam.

God is a relic from a time when we were too ignorant to even guess at how the world worked and too stupid to try.

There is no good reason, intrinsic or otherwise, to believe that god exists -- so I do not.

Popo

Hi Gary

Quote from: "s0cks"I just wondered if some former theists could highlight why they became an atheist? It would be even more interesting if there were some true bible-bashers, who came to our side of thinking, that could give their account.

I became an atheist after reading the Bible and engaging in apologetics. To put it really blunt, the Jews were right to kill Jesus. He broke the commandments, he didn't fit the prophesies and was inconsistent with the OT. So, that proved to me that Christianity was false.
But I read the OT and it didn't click either. Judaism contradicts the Torah plenty of times. Besides, the OT is full of baby slaughter and the Morgan Freemanesque God I believed in was nowhere in the Bible.

I also figured out I was gay.. And I knew how the Bible felt about us. So I was a seeker - this was in middle school. I was a secular Buddhist in high school, but even then, I wasn't truly consistent with what the Buddha taught.

If I had to put forward all the reasons I'm a non-believer now, I'd say:

1) No evidence for any particular religious theology over others... Especially because sincere believers with completely contradictory dogmas have spent their whole lives wholeheartedly debating and even dying for their faiths. This is absurd. The sincere seeker, who wants to know the true religion among them, has no recourse. Also, there are ideas found in many faiths which are very similar... However the idea that they all come from the same source (like Baha'i) doesn't make sense, given that most faiths (including Baha'i) name themselves the authority and make claims that others don't agree on.

2) Evidence that god is a myth and religion is a natural phenomenon is abundant. We can trace the history of "god-ideas" and see the psychoanalytic reasons why gods are conceptualized the way they are. We can also find evolutionary reasons for why people believe in gods (and spirits/witches/unseen agents) that are compelling. It also makes sense of why religions are contradictory (since they are based on virus-like ideas instead of revelations) and also explains dogmas found in most faiths (hell, heaven, etc) which are used for their survival.

3) Natural evil A LA Epicurus.

4) Religions claim to be the source for ethical guidance, however, their teaching doesn't conform to the modern conscious (and those that do are usually revisionary and derive from humanism). Many scriptures condone or demand tribal barbarity, genocide, misogyny, homophobia, racism, slavery and other evils.

5) The teachings of many faiths are anti-human. They tell us that our life and human endeavors are meaningless based on metaphysical clap-trap (Samsara for Buddhists, Original Sin for Christians, etc). They teach that things that humans value are dirty, and ask that we debase ourselves and live in denial of our needs.

6) The good in religion is human good and not from a god. The beauty of the art, the wisdom of the moral aphorisms, the poetry, the literature, and the myths are all likely the product of human imagination. This accounts for why there is a glimmer of this beauty in every tradition and culture, and also why none of these things couldn't have been done by someone living at the time in history they were performed.

Sorry if this post is too long. :)
[size=85]There never was such a thing as absolute justice, but only agreements made in mutual dealings among men in whatever places at various times providing against the infliction or suffering of harm.
-Epicurus[/size]