News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Atheism and Hedonism

Started by xSilverPhinx, April 30, 2019, 11:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 03, 2019, 02:54:59 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 02, 2019, 03:11:45 AM
"Only God can judge me"....then how the hell is it that the Jesus people assume so ngatively judgemental an attitude toward, atheists, gays, hippies and anyone else not cut in their own mould?

I saw a meme about that yesterday:  "Only God can judge me; translation: go away and let me sin in peace."

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16175.msg387160#msg387160

I knew that looked familiar!  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2019, 03:06:34 AM
I knew that looked familiar!  ;D

Oh yeah -- I was thinking I saw it on FB.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 01, 2019, 02:55:33 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on May 01, 2019, 01:50:13 PM
The version of this question I have encountered is "if there is no god why don't you just go around stealing from people or even killing them as much as you want?"  To which I reply, I do.  Just as much as I want.  How much I want, however, is not at all.  Why do you need to be told by some magic man in the sky that it is bad to do these things?

:grin:

Do you slowly add some space between yourself and them as well?

Indeed.  It amuses me that these people do not realise that effectively saying they don't go around doing all sorts of mayhem simply because they think their invisible friend told them not to is really scary as all get out!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on May 03, 2019, 04:30:37 AM
Indeed.  It amuses me that these people do not realise that effectively saying they don't go around doing all sorts of mayhem simply because they think their invisible friend told them not to is really scary as all get out!

I hear "I want to do cruel and destructive things and I rationalize this by telling myself that everyone else wants to do them too."  And yes, it does make me feel like inching away from them.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

What I want to know is why we don't kill all children at birth.
They get a special place in heaven, it's explained somewhere.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dark Lightning

I missed out on the hookers and blow when I was a good little Catholic boy. Now I'm an atheist and still don't indulge. Where did I go wrong?  :query:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 03, 2019, 03:53:22 PM
What I want to know is why we don't kill all children at birth.
They get a special place in heaven, it's explained somewhere.

A good pro-abortion argument. If fetuses have a soul then wouldn't it be better to abort them before they have the chance to grow and become irredeemable sinners?  ::)

Dark Lightning

Well, the RCC used to say that unbaptized babies (ought to qualify as a fetus) go to Limbo, which is a place they stay "forever". But then, much to my shock,  ::) Limbo was declared null and void.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-limbo/catholic-church-buries-limbo-after-centuries-idUSL2028721620070420

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2019, 11:31:10 PM
I'm sure many of us have heard someone say something along the lines of, "if there's no god, then why not pursue a life of pleasure in detriment to all else?"

Excessive drugs, sex, games, spending...anything that gives you that dopamine rush is all fair game when there's no god or afterlife.

Besides being a childish assertion on the part of the believer who thinks they need a father figure to live a reasonable life, it's a ridiculous question. However, sometimes I have trouble putting a reply into words that wouldn't invite more ridiculous comments and questions on an average atheist's lifestyle choices.   

How do you shut down people who keep asking such things? I could go into physical changes to the brain such as cell death or alterations to dopamine receptor density which could cause tolerance and anhedonia but ...meh. :-\  I could go into how the single-minded pursuit of pleasure isn't a viable life strategy, but...meh.  :-\

I could mention that all play and no work made Jack a dull boy (or was it the other way round? :???: Oh well. :P )

Thoughts?

Humans have evolved to be a balance between altruistic and selfish. Altruistic because we are a social animal that cannot reproduce (in the long term) in isolation. Selfish because the unselfish ones died out. So there is an innate behavioural requirement not to act like a dick for most people most of the time. No god required, we have evolved this way.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2019, 08:17:45 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2019, 11:31:10 PM
I'm sure many of us have heard someone say something along the lines of, "if there's no god, then why not pursue a life of pleasure in detriment to all else?"

Excessive drugs, sex, games, spending...anything that gives you that dopamine rush is all fair game when there's no god or afterlife.

Besides being a childish assertion on the part of the believer who thinks they need a father figure to live a reasonable life, it's a ridiculous question. However, sometimes I have trouble putting a reply into words that wouldn't invite more ridiculous comments and questions on an average atheist's lifestyle choices.   

How do you shut down people who keep asking such things? I could go into physical changes to the brain such as cell death or alterations to dopamine receptor density which could cause tolerance and anhedonia but ...meh. :-\  I could go into how the single-minded pursuit of pleasure isn't a viable life strategy, but...meh.  :-\

I could mention that all play and no work made Jack a dull boy (or was it the other way round? :???: Oh well. :P )

Thoughts?

Humans have evolved to be a balance between altruistic and selfish. Altruistic because we are a social animal that cannot reproduce (in the long term) in isolation. Selfish because the unselfish ones died out. So there is an innate behavioural requirement not to act like a dick for most people most of the time. No god required, we have evolved this way.

Can't find fault with that but try talking facts and reason to a bible-thumper.  :-\ Going into evolution would open a whole other can of icky worms.

Icarus

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2019, 11:07:46 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 04:21:01 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2019, 11:49:02 PM
A little humor here........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s   Wait for the punch line.
I would try the Darwin Genuine Draft... :thoughtful:

Does it come in a Darwin stubby?

I'm a small woman so when I drink from those huge bottles I have to hold them like this:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2019, 11:07:46 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 04:21:01 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2019, 11:49:02 PM
A little humor here........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s   Wait for the punch line.
I would try the Darwin Genuine Draft... :thoughtful:

Does it come in a Darwin stubby?

I'm a small woman so when I drink from those huge bottles I have to hold them like this:

Oh, please, please, choke on that water!  :-[