News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Political Correctness

Started by Bad Penny II, October 25, 2017, 01:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

I don't like the derogatory use of the term "political correctness," I remember when it was new and all the cool kids were using it, there was a lot of incorrect stuff back then.  If you are oppressed by those oppressive lefty oppressors name your particular gripe and argue it, don't wave "political correctness madness" around like a fricken rebel flag.  Ye, ye I know, I'm being an oppressive lefty oppressor again, go on righties, play with your flag. Anyway they're serving the minimal chew meals now and if I don't eat it quick they take it away so that's all I've got to say for now.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tom62

I's love to reply, but I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Being part of the patriarchy and having all those white privileges, definitively makes me a misogynistic, xenophobic, fascistic racist by default  ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Blimey, BP, you are old enough to remember when it was "new"?! Or do you mean just when it became popular? Quick check on the history of the phrase serms to indicate it goes back to the Soviet Russia of the 1920-30s in its orthodox political sense but gained its present use, in a more social sense, in the 1970-80s.

Interesting looking up that history.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/15/editorial-a-little-history-of-politically-correct/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness
But I think it is so often used badly, just to try to make something some group does not agree with sound bad. Being "heightist", "fatist", "agist" etc are all, basically, just bring prejudiced or bad mannered.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

I am proud to be a racist. There is one race of people on this planet. The human one, I hate the whole stinkin' lot of them!

Icarus

The PC thing has invaded and poisoned the reason of far too many college administrators.  Holy shit, there are campuses with "safe zones" where argumentative commentary is not allowed.

Snowflakes were not before and will not in the future be responsible for the adequate defense of our society.  One must wonder how those hypersensitive pussy cats would have responded to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  How would they have fared during the French Revolution? , The Spanish inquisition, Our revolutionary war, and so much of the history of the human race that has not been very kind or  politically correct? 

Respect and consideration for ones peers is an admirable trait. Getting all bent out of shape because one of our associates say something that we do not agree with is evidence that the offended party is, sadly, not ready for reality.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 25, 2017, 11:59:35 PM
Snowflakes were not before and will not in the future be responsible for the adequate defense of our society.  One must wonder how those hypersensitive pussy cats would have responded to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  How would they have fared during the French Revolution? , The Spanish inquisition, Our revolutionary war, and so much of the history of the human race that has not been very kind or  politically correct? 

I agree with you that the hypersensitive should not have a place in any defence situation, but I'm curious to know how you think a hypersensitive snowflake would have responded in those events you listed. IMO Trump for instance is among their number, a hypersensitive, twitter-ranting narcissistic snowflake and had he been in charge with free rein during the attack on Pearl Harbor he would have probably nuked Japan. Oh wait...

I understand that you're an American and you witnessed that time, but in my mind there's nothing admirable about killing that many noncombatants. No terrorist attack in the world comes close.

As for censoring oneself because it might cause offense, it's ridiculous. When you challenge someone's core beliefs and they become irate, demanding that you shut up, that sort of thing angers me. Sometimes what needs to be said will be, and if they can't take it then it's their problem.     
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: Icarus on October 25, 2017, 11:59:35 PM
The PC thing has invaded and poisoned the reason of far too many college administrators.  Holy shit, there are campuses with "safe zones" where argumentative commentary is not allowed.
Is it really that big of a problem for college students to have a place where they can to recharge?
Do you think that there should be no where for college students to go to get away from arguments?

Quote from: IcarusSnowflakes were not before and will not in the future be responsible for the adequate defense of our society.  One must wonder how those hypersensitive pussy cats would have responded to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  How would they have fared during the French Revolution? , The Spanish inquisition, Our revolutionary war, and so much of the history of the human race that has not been very kind or  politically correct?
This doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe you could fill in the logic gaps between snowflakes and not defending society.

Quote from: IcarusRespect and consideration for ones peers is an admirable trait. Getting all bent out of shape because one of our associates say something that we do not agree with is evidence that the offended party is, sadly, not ready for reality.
Yeah, some one should tell Icarus, because that guy is getting really bent out of shape by all these snowflakes getting offended and all these "safe places."

It would be cool if you would answer my questions and respond to counter points, but I'm not against you running off to your safe place either.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on October 25, 2017, 07:54:26 PM
Blimey, BP, you are old enough to remember when it was "new"?! Or do you mean just when it became popular?

How old?
Well when I was pope we called prostitutes courtesans.
Those were the days.................... sorry back to point.
I did mean the 1980s.

I might soon use the word pig but I'll be referring to human pigs, I don't mean to besmirch animal pigs.

Trump is a pig, I loved the De Niro denunciation, how could any one vote for it after that?

Our Bruce said his country isn't as divided as I painted it,
Our Bruce said Trump was the most divisive Pres' since some date.

Or he's a symptom, or an expression of a divided America.

I love our Bruce, he is conservative leaning but he says no you've gone too far to his own side.

Quote from: Tom62 on October 25, 2017, 07:34:58 PM
I's love to reply, but I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Being part of the patriarchy and having all those white privileges, definitively makes me a misogynistic, xenophobic, fascistic racist by default  ;).

No you don't get out of it with a wink, challenge something, risk being disliked.
I think you might be at least as wrong as me but I'm the only one on the out here.

Dave

I would certainly argue that a "quiet place", no telephones, radios, music, raised voices etc allowed, would be a boon not only in colleges but in workplaces as well! In the latter work might be fine - I often used to go and sit in the canteen to think problems out - with a chocolate bar instead of a cigarette after my heart attack. I was jealous of the place a friend worked at, they had a combined library/cafe where you could sit in quiet to research or work in other ways.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 25, 2017, 01:37:50 PMYe, ye I know, I'm being an oppressive lefty oppressor again, go on righties, play with your flag.

Now you're talking. It would be cruel to deny the inarticulate one of the few slogans they can easily pick up and use as a rhetorical cudgel when they are otherwise so woefully under-armed.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on October 26, 2017, 04:04:19 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 25, 2017, 01:37:50 PMYe, ye I know, I'm being an oppressive lefty oppressor again, go on righties, play with your flag.

Now you're talking. It would be cruel to deny the inarticulate one of the few slogans they can easily pick up and use as a rhetorical cudgel when they are so otherwise so woefully under-armed.

Yes but I don't want to exclude inarticulates
I'm willing to forgo my feeling of superiority
I'm feeling more inclusive than I've ever been.
I want to win them to the light side of the force.
Trump is a pig, people with daughters, I appeal to you
Trump is anti gun, he's always been anti gun, he's just been hiding it.

Bad Penny II

Stop whining and say something useful.

Bad Penny II

Celebrate rejoice.
Woman no longer have to resign when they marry.
It's OK to be a homosexual

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 28, 2017, 05:27:38 PM

Sorry about the "stop whining," it's all that's left to us.

I don't get the use of white as a self imposed slur.
We are having a referendum, yes is a yes for same sex marriage vote, no means no.
A Macklemore was hired to sing songs at a football final but he sings of yes and the noes didn't like it that he was coming to spread yes at a sacred festival. He heard and told his own some old white men are griping.
I am an old white guy who supports yes.
When they say white they don't mean all whites.
When they say old they don't mean all old or exclusively old.
It's about privilege and advantage.
Logically Mugabe's grand daughter is probably an old white man.
And millions of old homeless white men aren't white.

Tom62

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 28, 2017, 05:27:38 PM

Fuck Political Correctness. It is a silly though crime that is invented by a minority of people,  who are insulted on behalf of other minorities. It also the idea that if you rename words, they become less harmful or get a different meaning (doublespeak). Main problem is that almost every word could trigger a negative reaction with some idiot (oops, I should have said mentally challenged  ;D).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein