News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Fleecing the credulous?

Started by squidfetish, January 06, 2012, 07:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

But if you go and get your car detailed, your car actually gets detailed.

I would equate selling Rapture Pet Care Services with selling someone some oceanfront property in AZ.  YOU know that what you are selling is worthless and will never be delivered.  Hence, scam.

lomfs24

Quote from: Ali on January 06, 2012, 10:27:41 PM
I would equate selling Rapture Pet Care Services with selling someone some oceanfront property in AZ.  YOU know that what you are selling is worthless and will never be delivered.  Hence, scam.
I would actually equate it to your auto insurance policy. With a little better odds though. If you never have a wreck, your auto insurance policy is worthless, yet you have to have it.

lomfs24

Or maybe a better one would be flood insurance in the Sahara Desert. Would it be wrong of me to sell such a policy if someone wanted it?

Ali

Quote from: lomfs24 on January 06, 2012, 10:31:36 PM
Or maybe a better one would be flood insurance in the Sahara Desert. Would it be wrong of me to sell such a policy if someone wanted it?

Yes, I think it would be wrong of you to sell flood insurance in the Sahara, even if someone wanted it.  You would be taking advantage of a delusional person.  Which makes it a perfect analogy for the Rapture Insurance. 

Stevil

You are selling piece of mind. As long as you intend to fulfill then not a scam

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on January 06, 2012, 11:41:47 PM

But you have no intention of fulfilling because you don't believe the rapture will ever come.  So in fact, you're banking on them paying you money for services that you assume you will never have to render.

Stevil

Quote from: Ali on January 07, 2012, 01:10:29 AM
Quote from: Stevil on January 06, 2012, 11:41:47 PM

But you have no intention of fulfilling because you don't believe the rapture will ever come.  So in fact, you're banking on them paying you money for services that you assume you will never have to render.
Its an odds thing, like sports betting or insurance.
If you play the odds well then in the long run you are up.
If you think the odds are very low but are prepared to pay the price should you lose then it is fair game.

DeterminedJuliet

You know, when I was a kid I once gave my entire allowance to the church collection as it was passed around.
My parents said it was so nice, they were so proud, etc,etc.

I still feel ripped off >:(

I think I'd feel bad taking money from other people for stupid reasons, but if I could find a way to take money from churches, I definitely would.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: lomfs24 on January 06, 2012, 10:22:34 PM
I don't think that I need my car detailed, so, I don't go and get it detailed. You may prefer to have a looking car and you think you need to go get your car detailed. Now, we some some religious folks who think their pets need to be taken care of in the future. They certainly can't have that done within there own belief system because everyone will be with them. So they have to go to an outside source that will take care of their pets once they are gone. It is simply a service they feel they need. I don't see how that is ripping them off. To rip them off you would have to neglect picking up their pets when and if the rapture really does happen. 

Don't let the nay sayers discourage you, you're selling peace of mind.
I hardly ever claim insurance but I still pay for it, it helps me sleep.
Just think of the reduced stress these people will experience, you'll be a positive influence on their health.  You're like a doctor, better than a doctor.

xSilverPhinx

And what if there really is a rapture? If you're genuinely willing to keep your end of the bargain, I don't see it as fleecing. :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

lomfs24

Of course I would keep up my end of the deal for several reasons. If I was wrong about the rapture I would be wrong about a lot of other things as well and they might be looking down on me prepared to bring about justice if I don't. Secondly, having all those stray dogs and cats running around would cause more problems than me going and picking them up in a timely manner. Third I made a deal so of course I would do it.

And it would be a lifetime promise. My lifetime anyway. Deals off if I die before the rapture.

xSilverPhinx

Someone should write a parody contract of the terms of such an insurance. :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Take religion out of it.  Let's say that someone is so consumed with the idea that s/he is going to be abducted by aliens at any moment that they begin making all sorts of elaborate plans for it (including paying people up front for services not yet rendered - like "take care of my pets if I am abducted by aliens.")  Wouldn't we consider that person mentally ill?  Would it be ethical to enter into that sort of deal with someone like that?  Even if it gives them piece of mind, it still feels like taking advantage.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on January 07, 2012, 03:56:20 PM
Take religion out of it.  Let's say that someone is so consumed with the idea that s/he is going to be abducted by aliens at any moment that they begin making all sorts of elaborate plans for it (including paying people up front for services not yet rendered - like "take care of my pets if I am abducted by aliens.")  Wouldn't we consider that person mentally ill?  Would it be ethical to enter into that sort of deal with someone like that?  Even if it gives them piece of mind, it still feels like taking advantage.

I have a couple of clients who come to my vet clinic that I feel this way about: they are SOO obsessed with their animals, they would literally do anything we tell them. They'd buy anything, take any kind of treatment, any kind of supplement, go to any kind of behaviour school. They are well beyond how a normal, loving pet-parent behaves. One of them tries to give me cash "tips" on a regular basis (which I, of course, turn down.) We could definitely fleece them for everything they own if we wanted to, because I'm pretty sure they'd sell their house before making their little dog go "without".

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on January 07, 2012, 03:56:20 PM

That's a great analogy, at least as far as the rapture or services insurance discussion.
Does it also apply to the "toast with jesus" analogy too, though? Let's take religion out of that too. Suppose I have a painting that I found in my attic which I hate and don't want. So I put it on ebay, and it turns out it's very valuable to a certain niche group out there, whether it's because of the painter, the style, they think it's got some spiritual power, whatever. If they're competing with each other to buy it and will offer me thousands of dollars for said painting, is it really unethical to sell it for whatever I can get, even if I think they're nuts? In this case, I am providing them exactly what they want, which is the painting, or burnt toast.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"