News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Stone Tools Influenced Hand Evolution in Human Ancestors

Started by Tank, March 12, 2011, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Stone Tools Influenced Hand Evolution in Human Ancestors, Anthropologists Say

QuoteScienceDaily (Mar. 8, 2011) â€" New research from anthropologists at the University of Kent has confirmed Charles Darwin's speculation that the evolution of unique features in the human hand was influenced by increased tool use in our ancestors.

Research over the last century has certainly confirmed the existence of a suite of features in the bones and musculature of the human hand and wrist associated with specific gripping and manipulatory capabilities that are different from those of other extant great apes. These features have fuelled suggestions that, at some point since humans split from the last common ancestor of living apes, the human hand evolved away from features adapted for locomotion toward alternative functions...

See where playing with tools gets you! Tim 'The tool man' Taylor would be proud  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will

But seriously, it makes a lot of sense that in the hundreds of thousands of years we've used tools, those most suited to using those tools would stand a better chance at surviving the crucible of natural selection.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

fester30

I try to think about what tools would look like if we did not have opposable thumbs.  Instead of bar handles, perhaps they would all have handles in the shape of rings or something so we could get our fingers through.

hismikeness

Quote from: "fester30"I try to think about what tools would look like if we did not have opposable thumbs.  Instead of bar handles, perhaps they would all have handles in the shape of rings or something so we could get our fingers through.

I think tools (and weapons for that matter) would be used in more of a palm down and downward motion way as opposed to the tools we did use, which were attached to handles and sticks used from the top side of the fist in a downward motion.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "fester30"I try to think about what tools would look like if we did not have opposable thumbs.
Ye thumbs used to be useful but not much help when typing.  I mean there's two of them and all they can do is blob down on the space bar. I think they could do with another joint, jeez they can't even point very well.

hismikeness

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I think they could do with another joint, jeez they can't even point very well.

Nope, but the pinky point seems to be gaining traction.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "fester30"I try to think about what tools would look like if we did not have opposable thumbs.
Ye thumbs used to be useful but not much help when typing.  I mean there's two of them and all they can do is blob down on the space bar. I think they could do with another joint, jeez they can't even point very well.
:up:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.