News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on April 29, 2019, 11:22:28 AM
Yay!  The onion knight survived the battle of Winterfell!

And apparently that little girl who promised to defend the crypt.  Now he can adopt her, if he survives the fight with Cersei, and they can live happily ever after.  Probably in Essos because Westeros is going to be nothing but a graveyard.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

That happening the way it did, ignoring physics (even in a fantasy world), things built up in the world, and almost anything resembling consistency, just to bring Dany low... is why I stopped watching the show many seasons back, but am grudgingly finishing it now. There are so many other ways to have accomplished the same thing that didn't make her look blind (how could she not see a boat on the ocean from up there?), or stupid (she's not), or give super natural aiming and power abilities to bits of wood shooting from a ship (abilities that seem to have disappeared after the first Dragon died). But they chose to do it this way for surprise and shock value over internal consistency, logic, and reason.

It's just silly.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

:redface: Still haven't watched episodes 2,3 and 4, though I know plenty of spoilers. I just can't help not going looking for spoilers. ::)

It's a sickness.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

A special warning for Silver, if she isn't caught up yet -- this post has the Liberal Redneck's recap of the first four episodes of season 8.  Spoilers, so many spoilers.

GoTdamn recaps

Episode 1: Winterfell

Episode 2: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Episode 3: The Long Night

Episode 4: The Last of the Starks
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on May 09, 2019, 08:56:35 PM
That happening the way it did, ignoring physics (even in a fantasy world), things built up in the world, and almost anything resembling consistency, just to bring Dany low... is why I stopped watching the show many seasons back, but am grudgingly finishing it now. There are so many other ways to have accomplished the same thing that didn't make her look blind (how could she not see a boat on the ocean from up there?), or stupid (she's not), or give super natural aiming and power abilities to bits of wood shooting from a ship (abilities that seem to have disappeared after the first Dragon died). But they chose to do it this way for surprise and shock value over internal consistency, logic, and reason.

It's just silly.

Yeah, I had considered not bothering with the final season but decided to go ahead since it is the final season.  Can't say I'm much lured by the prequel that's being planned tho.

It surprises me that they'd try to turn Dany into the Mad Queen because it seems to me that Cersei has that all sewn up.  And Cersei being the Mad Queen would dovetail so nicely with Jaime coming back to Kings Landing to fulfill the prophecy by killing her, just as he did the Mad King 20 years ago, and bringing their story full circle.

Altho, in view of what happened last week, I'd have no objection to Gray Worm killing Cersei instead while Jaime stood by and watched.  That would sort of fulfill the prophecy -- the younger brother was responsible for his sister's death by doing nothing to stop her assassin even tho he could have.

At this point I don't care at all who sits on the Iron Throne since all the people I'd thought actually likely to do a good job of leading Westeros (whether or not they were in either line of succession) are now dead. 
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Sandy

Bluenose

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 15, 2019, 12:08:06 AM
Episode 5: The Bells

I just love the Liberal Redneck's taqke on things!

BTW, FWIW I don't think anyone is going to sit on the iron throne, cause as far as I can see there isn't one left after Daeny's little effort this week.  My thoughts on next week: I wonder if Tyrion gets to make up with Sansa, Jon returns to Winterfel as King in the North with Tyrion as his hand.  Arya decides being a lady of Storm's End isn't such a bad idea and hangs up her assasinhood. Of course I'm probably wrong on all counts, so sue me...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

^^^
I don't know anything about GOT, but I could sit here and watch this Liberal Redneck talk about it for hours.  :lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on May 15, 2019, 03:16:56 AM
BTW, FWIW I don't think anyone is going to sit on the iron throne, cause as far as I can see there isn't one left after Daeny's little effort this week.  My thoughts on next week: I wonder if Tyrion gets to make up with Sansa, Jon returns to Winterfel as King in the North with Tyrion as his hand.  Arya decides being a lady of Storm's End isn't such a bad idea and hangs up her assasinhood. Of course I'm probably wrong on all counts, so sue me...

Well, after guessing pretty well about how things were going to go at the beginning of this series, I have completely bombed on the entire 8th season.  I thought, given what I'd seen in the last 7 seasons, that there'd be one episode spent on gathering/catching up, 4 episodes of the battle at Winterfell with every single one of the living having died horribly by episode 5 (I mean, c'mon, they were facing an enormous army of zombies backed up by an ice dragon) and then the final episode showing the Night King over-running King's Landing and eating Cersei's face off.  Altho with the kind of story this is, he'd probably turn Cersei into a White Walker and make her the Night Queen.  I'd hate her getting off the hook in any way, but that ending would make sense to me.

Needless to say, what happened was pretty much the opposite of that. 

The only thing in the real episode 5 that made any sense to me was Clegane Bowl.  I was sorry to see the Hound die, he was one of my favorites, but I knew he had to kill his brother and the only way to kill the Mountain would be something so extreme it would end them both.  And of course Maester Frankenstein's sudden, violent death was a huge bonus.

But other than that . . .

Jaime and Cersei getting a romancey, ride or die death was my biggest complaint.  Seven seasons of Jaime's redemption arc thrown right out the window.  Why did they even make the effort.

As for the whole killing of the innocents while burning King's Landing to the ground after it had surrendered and it's soldiers lain down their weapons --

I can't really blame the Dothraki, they were being true to their culture and following Dany's lead,

And I can't really blame Gray Worm either, he was not only being true to his training and following Dany's lead but was in serious need of grief counseling before he did anything else, much less go into battle against the people he associated with Missandei's death the day before.  He had, briefly, a love that could be called transformative without it being a cliche, something so outside the realm of possibility it must have seemed like a true miracle -- explainable only by supernatural means.  As you can see, I'm a Gray Worm/Missandei fan and GoT has broken my heart.

But Dany, what in the blue blazes was she thinking?  She'd won, with comparatively little effort and after only killing soldiers.  King's Landing had surrendered to her, Cersei was on the run and if Dany acted fast enough she'd have been able to catch her, and if she'd burned the Red Tower to the ground to kill Cersei and whatever minions she had left, I wouldn't have blamed Dany in the least.  But no, she had to turn insane just like that and torch all of King's Landing, killing most of the population. 

And yes, yes, I know Dany had threatened cities before with "fire and blood" and being burned to the ground, but she'd also declared she had no interest in being "the Queen of the ashes" and had always shown the greatest concern for the innocent and helpless, the "small folk" as they're called here.  She'd only turned her dragons on powerful enemies before, or those who'd betrayed her like poor Varys.  (I am upset about him too tho he really did bring it on himself)

In fact, being a champion of the small folk was her main political plank, the way she was showing the world she was different from other rulers.  Well, not any more.  I suppose this is setting up Dany to be killed by outraged or terrified Westerosi -- either Jon and/or Tyrion, or any one of the remaining powerful families of Westeros who have no desire to go from crazy to crazier in a ruler.

And speaking of these, wasn't Yara on the way to King's Landing with an Ironborn fleet, and hadn't Dany secured the Vale and Dorne as allies?  Why was the war started before any of those three even got there, what was the point of getting them to come in on the fight if they weren't going to be used?  I get the feeling that this was only to have a large army (some of whom have a history of dragon killing) marching in that can now be turned against the untrustworthy Dany, and bring the story to a rushed and clumsy end.

I could whine also about Arya's remarkable ability to survive an entire city falling on her, and a dragon breathing at her, or for that matter Euron's ability to get blasted off a ship by a dragon and not even have a blister or a limp, but I won't.  This show has made me tired.

Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on May 15, 2019, 06:57:48 AM
^^^
I don't know anything about GOT, but I could sit here and watch this Liberal Redneck talk about it for hours.  :lol:

I know, I know.   :dance:
Sandy

Bad Penny II

I can't look what anyone else is saying but I just watched ep3.
I expected Arya would kill King Blue but I was worried for her.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Sandra Craft

And so ends our watch.  I wasn't thrilled with the last season, but I'll take a handful of happy endings for the much put upon Starks as a consolation prize.

Here's a nice present for us:  most if not all of the favorite characters from all 8 seasons.  (Note where Brienne is sitting).

Sandy

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey