News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Daniel Dennett: "How To Tell You're An Atheist"

Started by Recusant, May 28, 2012, 06:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Threads with links to youtube videos don't generally get much response, but they do get views, so when I come across what I consider to be interesting/entertaining videos, I post them.

Daniel Dennett: "How To Tell You're An Atheist"

Probably some people will think that Dennett borders on (or simply is) being snide in some parts of this talk, but he is an interesting speaker, I think.

I do like ". . . a thicket, in a swamp, in the fog."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

This was the first time I had the pleasure of hearing Dennett speak, and must say  I found him quite impressive. His tone might better be described as mildly condescending although I find it difficult to speak honestly about religious individuals without sounding condescending myself.

He may be onto something with the you might be an atheist jokes. As a redneck I can honestly say we do not mind the jokes and as an atheist I can say we should learn to take ourselves a little less seriously.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Firebird

Dennet's book "Breaking the Spell" is one of my favorite secular books.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on June 03, 2012, 05:12:09 AM
Mine to.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

cgmccall

I love the "deep-ity" part.
How many absolutely useless ideas have gotten respect because they were ambiguous yet worded poetically?

kitty

Quote from: Tank on June 03, 2012, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: Firebird on June 03, 2012, 05:12:09 AM
Mine to.

reading it atm! enjoying muchly.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

markmcdaniel

Great talk. I think I can learn to live with the "you might be an atheist" jokes, But, can the other side? I think that I will have to try some of his books even if he is a philosopher.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche