News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Project

Started by Worldview93, October 25, 2011, 07:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on October 26, 2011, 09:20:56 AM
I take it you refer to Wv93 and not Our Lady St. Postula.  ;D
Correct :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Quote from: Worldview93 on October 25, 2011, 07:14:30 PM
Hi everyone!
I have a school project and I was hoping I could get some help. The project is on worldview. 
1.what do you think about the idea of time and space? And how is it related to our life on earth?
2.where do you receive your morals from?
3.what do you think happens after death?
4.how do your beliefs shape your worldview?
5.how does your worldview play out in your everyday life?
Lengthy answers are appreciated! Thanks!
1. I like the idea of time and space. Life on earth would be pretty boring without them
2. Critical thought, survival instincts, experiences, learned behaviour, enforced law, societies norms
3. decomposition
4. My worldview is about lack of beliefs, so Not Applicable
5. Irrelevant, there is no ideology, no rituals required for being an Atheist. In comparison to theists I have no inhibitors to being supportive, non judgemental, tolerant, humanistic and compassionate of others.

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on October 26, 2011, 09:16:11 AM
So far she's been on once for 10 minutes.

Since she didn't bother to respond I'm going to lock the thread, she can PM me to have it unlocked.

Worldview93

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if I seemed ambiguous with my earlier thread.  It was not my intention to offend anyone.  I'm taking a philosophy class. I am a Christian and my project is investigating different world views. I'm not here to "convert" anyone or say that what you believe is wrong. I'm solely here for information. Also, to the person who said that my questions were heavily biased, I'd be interested in finding out why you think that.

Once again I apologize if I insulted anyone, that is not at all my intention. Thanks again guys. I won't ask further questions.

Thanks.

Tank

Quote from: Worldview93 on October 27, 2011, 07:36:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if I seemed ambiguous with my earlier thread.  It was not my intention to offend anyone.  I'm taking a philosophy class. I am a Christian and my project is investigating different world views. I'm not here to "convert" anyone or say that what you believe is wrong. I'm solely here for information. Also, to the person who said that my questions were heavily biased, I'd be interested in finding out why you think that.

Once again I apologize if I insulted anyone, that is not at all my intention. Thanks again guys. I won't ask further questions.

Thanks.
Welcome aboard.

We would normally require a new member to post ten times before starting a 'serious thread'. However in your case this rule has been waived.

Regards
Chris
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

WV93

The reason I gave a hard time was because there are some people who get their jollies pissing other people off. Sometime the troll is an atheist who knows full well what will piss off other atheists, sometime it's a theist just here for 'shits and giggles'.

For your generation the internet will be an integral part of your life in a way it has not been for people of my age (born 1959) you need t be careful how you approach people online as you have now found out :)

Chris

Worldview93

Thank you Chris for clarifying everything.  I was not aware of how I would affect people and I never wanted anyone to get offend.  Thank you for helping  :) I will be more careful as to how I approach people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Worldview93 on October 27, 2011, 07:36:36 PM
Also, to the person who said that my questions were heavily biased, I'd be interested in finding out why you think that.
That would be The Asmo  :P

Here are the wrongs of the questions:

Quote1.what do you think about the idea of time and space? And how is it related to our life on earth?
Presenting time and space as ideas, rather than dimensions of the universe we inhabit.

Quote2.where do you receive your morals from?
Assuming our morals are solely recieved, possibly from an external source rather than achieved through personal processes

Quote3.what do you think happens after death?
Sort of explains itself in terms of bias. A proper question would be: "Do you consider death to be the end of your existence? If not, explain"

(In case it is unclear despite what I think, the bias here lies in assuming that something beyond rotting or being cremated DOES happen after death, not just as you die)

Quote4.how do your beliefs shape your worldview?
Assuming beliefs are what shapes the individual's worldview. It is more complicated than that. For instance, interactions and experiences take part. Certain beliefs can be a direct part of someone's worldview, of course, but the question is worded the way many looking at life through the eyes of faith would word it.

Quote5.how does your worldview play out in your everyday life?
Nothing wrong with that, really, although I would establish whether or not we consider worldviews to do so before asking how.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Hi everyone!
I have a school project and I was hoping I could get some help. The project is on worldview. 
1.what do you think about the idea of time and space? And how is it related to our life on earth?
2.where do you receive your morals from?
3.what do you think happens after death?
4.how do your beliefs shape your worldview?
5.how does your worldview play out in your everyday life?
Lengthy answers are appreciated! Thanks!

I'll have a quick pop at this.

1. Totally relative, time is a human construct that is only applicable to our planet in the form that we view it. Its relevant to our life because it helps us measure increments through days and nights, helping us to manage our lives. When it comes to space time our view of the present is a view of the past, even our perception of the sun is viewing the past as all light we see (from the sun) has taken 8.32 light-minuets to travel to earth, what we perceive of the suns position is actually where the sun was 8.32 minuets ago.

2. A mixture of life experiences, passed down from elders through conversation, and my own perspectives of what is moral.

3. Nothing

4 & 5. I just allow life to happen, I don't fight things or meddle just experience things as they come my way. I don't care what others think just selfishly enjoying my own life.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

I'll give it a go...

They're linked to existence, and even in a hypothetical solipsist world, thoughts can be divided into some sort of unit of time? Don't know exactly how space would factor into that though. On some days, seeing signs of aging just doesn't cut it.

(I'm not really a serious solipsist, I just wonder about these things a lot)

Quote2.where do you receive your morals from?

Partly innate, partly learned. Not as relative as some think, I just like to throw the question back at people I see as immoral and not deserving of respect. Ok, maybe deserving of certain things too. ;)

Not some god-given set of unchanging and objective rules.

Quote3.what do you think happens after death?

Nothing. Literally nothing.

Quote4.how do your beliefs shape your worldview?

They are a framework from which I filter incoming information so that I can navigate through the world and existence.

Quote5.how does your worldview play out in your everyday life?

It's a part of who I am and affect many decisions I make.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Hi everyone!
The concept of time and space is interesting to me. In my life it helps me understand what is happening and what order it happens in and allows me to predict many things.

Quote from: Worldview932.where do you receive your morals from?
Same place as everyone else, from myself and others.

Quote from: Worldview933.what do you think happens after death?
The body decays.

Quote from: Worldview934.how do your beliefs shape your worldview?
I don't believe in anything. If I do not have the knowledge of a thing, I do not accept or deny that thing because I do not see any purpose in doing so.

Quote from: Worldview935.how does your worldview play out in your everyday life?
I don't see the use of a worldview.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.