News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Things that make you chuckle

Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Dave on April 28, 2018, 05:30:56 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 28, 2018, 05:14:57 PM

It's in the blood...

In an assessment "Vote for Joe" type exam for selection for technician training in the RAF the question that stuck in my mind was,:

The shape of a radar antenna reflector dish is:
A. diabolic
B. carbolic
C. hyperbolic
D.  symbolic

Hah! I got it wrong, shoulda been "parabolic"! Though a hyperbolic reflector dish would sort of serve.

But why do these things suddenly occur to me days later and at 2 o-bloody-clock in the a-bloody-m!?

Not chuckling.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I was wondering about that myself. Parabolic sprung to mind immediately.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 02, 2018, 02:24:33 AM
I was wondering about that myself. Parabolic sprung to mind immediately.

Yup, I failed thst test! Still, that was about 50 years ago . . .

All bolics anyway.

Dave

Talking with a friend about abbreviations, some amusing (like our boss would not let us abbreviate the name of our department - Applied Resesrch Section and, I think because of personal politics, the big boss sould not change it.)

I am lazy so often resort to abbreviations, shortened versions or similar, these are common items on my shopping list:

Scorn
Scream
Broots
Bans
Poms
Toms
Sal
Ons
Pots
Carts
Q
Os
Sweepers
Smilk
Grees

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Got any idiosyncratic abbreviatiins of you own?

Bad Penny II

"dementia guy'd be upset for hours"

It is obvious that that means - guy would be upset for hours.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Arturo

One time I was so messed up I slept in the woods with a blanket down the road from my parents house after they told me to come home.

Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Watching a few minutes of Jaws, specifically the part where the Orca is broken down, and had a good laugh when Richard Dreyfus called out "The injectors were scored when salt water got into the fuel." That ties in nicely with the hacker siliness in the drone thread. Of course when it was time to chase the big fish the boat fired right up...

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on May 09, 2018, 07:34:09 PM
Watching a few minutes of Jaws, specifically the part where the Orca is broken down, and had a good laugh when Richard Dreyfus called out "The injectors were scored when salt water got into the fuel." That ties in nicely with the hacker siliness in the drone thread. Of course when it was time to chase the big fish the boat fired right up...

I was watching that earlier as well and I was trying to figure out why there was a rivalry between Cooper and the Fisherman. Maybe it's outdated for me but I didn't see any point to that.

Also the big fish was smarter than the fisherman at fishing. Instead of wearing the shark out by letting him draw out the line, he drew it out then went under the boat to make the fisherman pull the line in. And he even alludes to this when he says the shark is smart but he keeps pulling the line in as fast as he can. I'm also pretty sure that's not how you would fish for a shark anyways. Sharks won't get tired as fast as a smaller fish.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

joeactor

Dave

RECORD BREAKER - world's fastest road legal motorised garden shed record broken by a Brit!

Too recent for video as yet, but here's last year's effort.

https://youtu.be/yAgdOa0D3Z8

Gone green yet JJ?

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on May 12, 2018, 04:07:25 PM
RECORD BREAKER - world's fastest road legal motorised garden shed record broken by a Brit!

WHY ????
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on May 12, 2018, 04:07:25 PM

Gone green yet JJ?

The last one we had on the road didn't go over 45...

And yes, that is a photo I took of us moving a shed. Having a three point hitch forklift makes it pretty easy so long as the cops don't get you.

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱