News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hi everyone

Started by aniintheskywithtofu, November 18, 2009, 07:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aniintheskywithtofu

Hello reader!  Like many here, this is my first time joining an Atheist forum.  I work overnight and that is when I am usually lingering for a chat, making friends, or reading a good post (or two).

:)

Recusant

Hello, and welcome, aniintheskywithtofu.  There at least a few other night owls here, as well as people from various parts of the world who might be on when most of the US is asleep.  It can be pretty quiet here during those hours, though.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of interesting reading here, whatever the time. :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

aniintheskywithtofu

Quote from: "Recusant"Hello, and welcome, aniintheskywithtofu.  There at least a few other night owls here, as well as people from various parts of the world who might be on when most of the US is asleep.  It can be pretty quiet here during those hours, though.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of interesting reading here, whatever the time. :)  Those are some lovely signature quotes - I will have to definitely look at H L Mencken :)

Whitney

karadan

Welcome Aniintheskywithtofu. I'm in the UK so our forum browsing times may coincide.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Recusant

Quote from: "aniintheskywithtofu"I will have to definitely look at H L Mencken

Well you  certainly can't go wrong there.  Mencken was one of the great American writers of the 20th century, in my opinion.  His prose style is damn near impeccable.  He's one of the few writers that has consistently delighted me with his choice of words, though it's nice to have an unabridged dictionary in the vicinity when reading his work.  The book by him that's probably going to be easiest to find is the The Vintage Mencken, edited by Alistair Cooke.  However, just about anything you see by him is worth the time to check out.  Treatise on the Gods is both informative and fun; when it came to organized religion, Mencken was merciless.  

He's fallen out of favor due to some comments in his private papers that have been construed to be racist, but in fact he was one of the people who helped cultivate the Harlem Renaissance.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

prestonwatson

Hi All,
I am a newbie and I have just register today itself. One of my friend has refered me to this forum. I have done my master with finance as a main subject and at the moment I am working with a renowned financial company in UK. My friend told me that I will really enjoy here and that is the reason why I join. I always love making new friends and share my ideas with them. Thanks. Cheers.