News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Evolution Resources

Started by Tank, May 16, 2011, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 19, 2017, 06:38:35 PM
That is a pretty neat site. I have some issues with the 'tree of life' approach to evolution but that site is still cool.

Maybe one day, when you have time, you can tell us about the issues you have with the 'tree of life' approach to evolution. You always post some interesting things.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Magdalena on May 19, 2017, 06:58:45 PM
That is a pretty neat site. I have some issues with the 'tree of life' approach to evolution but that site is still cool.

Maybe one day, when you have time, you can tell us about the issues you have with the 'tree of life' approach to evolution. You always post some interesting things.

I'll try but I'm typing on my phone.

The problem is it that it massively over simplifies what is going on.

In reality it is probably much more web like than tree like.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/jan/21/charles-darwin-evolution-species-tree-life is quite a good article on it.

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 19, 2017, 07:01:40 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/jan/21/charles-darwin-evolution-species-tree-life is quite a good article on it.
Interesting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on May 19, 2017, 07:05:26 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 19, 2017, 07:01:40 PM

Interesting.

:secrets1: I told you she always posts 'Interesting' stuff.
But you already know that.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

New entry in the resources OP.

The Burgess Shale Details of one of the most significant fossil beds ever found. "High on a mountain ridge in Canada's spectacular Yoho National Park in British Columbia is one of Earth's most important fossil deposits: the Burgess Shale. Preserved with exquisite detail within the rock layers for the last half-billion years are the remains of soft-bodied and often bizarre animals and algae dating from the Cambrian period. These exceptional fossils include some of the oldest members of many animal groups still alive today. "

Dave

^
Yesh, there was a great docu on BBC TV years ago talking in general terms about the Burgess Shales, fossil history, exploration history and the presenter did a little ad hoc spitting as well - finding interesting stuff (to me) but since he classified all his finds there and then probably routine to him.

When I was a kid we had a "coal hole" under the stairs of our tiny terraced house with a door into the "parlour",  were we sat and ate. There was a coal hammer, bit like a geologist's hammer with blade edges at right angles. I volunteered to break up the big lumps, then I could inspect them for fossils. Had a fairly good collection of tree bark and leaf impressions, and some fools gold. Would have broken it all down to walnut size if left to my own devices. So I had a had a sort of affinity for Burgess, wish I could go there!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on December 11, 2017, 08:22:08 PM
^
Yesh, there was a great docu on BBC TV years ago talking in general terms about the Burgess Shales, fossil history, exploration history and the presenter did a little ad hoc spitting as well - finding interesting stuff (to me) but since he classified all his finds there and then probably routine to him.

When I was a kid we had a "coal hole" under the stairs of our tiny terraced house with a door into the "parlour",  were we sat and ate. There was a coal hammer, bit like a geologist's hammer with blade edges at right angles. I volunteered to break up the big lumps, then I could inspect them for fossils. Had a fairly good collection of tree bark and leaf impressions, and some fools gold. Would have broken it all down to walnut size if left to my own devices. So I had a had a sort of affinity for Burgess, wish I could go there!

Fossil hunting in your own home. Wonderful!

Dave

https://youtu.be/olC3fTcOalU

This is not the docu I mentioned before, but relevsnt.

No one

Isn't this mammoth mountain of information refuted by Kent Hovind simply saying evolution isn't real?

Tank

Quote from: No one on December 11, 2017, 10:28:17 PM
Isn't this mammoth mountain of information refuted by Kent Hovind simply saying evolution isn't real?
Only in his little pea of a brain.

Dave

Loads of stuff! PBS Eons has loads of videos related to evolution etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

Tank

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on March 02, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
Loads of stuff! PBS Eons has loads of videos related to evolution etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

Yes, a worthwhile show from one point of view, a horrible waste of money, believe me, from another.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken