News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

It's amazing how many entertainment centers are found in junk stores. It used to be the key piece of living room furniture but the flatscreen killed them off. Who wants a giant wardrobe in their family room, even if it has built in VHS tapes racks?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2019, 02:22:48 PM
It's amazing how many entertainment centers are found in junk stores. It used to be the key piece of living room furniture but the flatscreen killed them off. Who wants a giant wardrobe in their family room, even if it has built in VHS tapes racks?

There's lead light glass
how many hinges?
Paint it white, paint it white you entrepreneurs

https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1861694

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dark Lightning

Wowzers, that's some plunder, right there! I've gutted some cabinets to use for other projects, given the high cost of wood these days. I bought a 1" X 6" X 8' poplar board and paid $20. I was pissed. I bought a 2-drawer "dresser" from the local Habitat for Humanity Restore. I usually wait for the price to drop, but this was made of some of the best-figured quarter-sawn white oak, and is solid lumber, not veneer. I'm going to turn it into a chest to sit on my work bench, for my carving tools. Paid $160, but that much of that highly figured QSWO would be about triple that in raw form, if one can find it. Here's a crappy pic. I had to use a flashlight since the ceiling lights in my "shop" have this in shadow. It's up on top of a cabinet, and I can't get up to take a pic of the top, currently.

hermes2015

The wood is beautiful and it looks very solidly constructed.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Cut out that center panel and let children get behind it to 1) sell lemonade in the summer; 2) do puppet shows; 3) have silly photographs taken of them; or 4) pretend to be a bank teller, etc. dispensing money or something else.

Dark Lightning

Hah! Yes, the thing is really solid! You can see how thick the sides and top are. It's like that all the way through, even the drawer fronts. I showed a picture of my QSWO carving chest elsewhere. It cost almost $300 for the wood in that chest, and I had to go to three different stores to find it all.  >:( And then here's this for half the price and far better figure.

My next acquisition from that Restore is some mahogany. They have a bunch of doors with some sort of fiber board with a wild grain painted on, or maybe it's melamine. The frames are solid mahogany! Whatever, they've had them for months and the doors haven't sold. I'm waiting for them to drop the prices. It's $50 for the cheapest (and smallest) door (they are up to $200 for the larger ones with mirrors), which works out to $2 per board foot for the mahogany frames. But I'm still too cheap, as I'd like to have all the wood and don't want to pay that much. They'll come down eventually, I'm hoping.

Icarus

I am with DL for salvaging fine wood, or even ordinary wood.  The prices for high quality wood are astronomical insofar as we amateur craftsmen are concerned.

Dumpster diving is beneath my dignity but as a cheap skate I do it anyway.  There are often some treasures in that nasty dumpster.  In addition, there are people who put furniture, cabinets, and such things out on the curb for the city refuse haulers to pick up.  Most of it is junk stuff with veneer over particle board, but often enough there are some really valuable lumber in some of those older items.

joeactor

I've got an old cherry wood high boy dresser. Kinda old and dinged up.

I was thinking of painting it, but I'm not very handy.

Light sanding and paint with a brush? Or is it more difficult?

jumbojak

Scrub it really well first. Stripper might not be a bad idea to cut the oils that are built up on it. Then sand it as nice as you want, prime, and paint.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: joeactor on June 05, 2019, 11:43:37 PM

I've known a few high boys in my long life. But not old and dinged up.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 06, 2019, 05:15:39 AM

You should of kept in touch, or maybe not I suppose.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 06, 2019, 01:31:06 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 06, 2019, 05:15:39 AM

You should of kept in touch, or maybe not I suppose.

No, ships that pass in the night, if you get my "drift".
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I think I want to learn how to play an instrument. Might pick up a bass. I like the bass.

joeactor

Quote from: jumbojak on June 06, 2019, 01:10:16 AM
Scrub it really well first. Stripper might not be a bad idea to cut the oils that are built up on it. Then sand it as nice as you want, prime, and paint.

Thanks JJ - that actually sounds like something I could manage ;-)

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on June 06, 2019, 04:16:32 PM
I think I want to learn how to play an instrument. Might pick up a bass. I like the bass.

Drums. Loud and fun :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.