News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

why we'll probably never have any HAF members in Iran...

Started by Too Few Lions, January 13, 2012, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

spotted this in the news yesterday, yet more crazy news from Iran. Ahmad Reza Hashempour is a 40 year old who has been arrested and sentenced to death for 'membership in anti-religion and blasphemous website'.

http://www.iranian.com/main/2012/jan/ahmad-reza-hashempour-prisoner-day

what a bunch of cunts they are in Iran. Apparently he's been found guilty of the crime of moharebeh, which roughly translates as 'waging war against God' and can carry the death penalty in Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moharebeh

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Ugh, it's hard to fathom we even live in the same world as a country like that. That is seriously beyond aweful.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crocoduck

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Guardian85

Yet one more reason to believe that everyone who believes lack reason.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 14, 2012, 11:23:59 AM
Yet one more reason to believe that everyone who believes lack reason.

I simply can't piece together anyone with such strong belief and faith has reasonable intellect.

How can you stand there and prosecute someone who doesnt believe in a mythical god? >___< it is insane. Why do so few see how insane this is??

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

If you find the answer, I guarantee you will get a Nobel prize.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 14, 2012, 04:38:01 PM
If you find the answer, I guarantee you will get a Nobel prize.
Or be burned as a heretic, depending where you are at the time!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Holy crap.

There should be a concerted effort to get brains out of that country.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 15, 2012, 03:58:33 AM
Holy crap.

I know scienctists exist there, but....they're also highly religious. How the heck does that work?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 15, 2012, 04:19:37 AM
Holy crap.

I know scienctists exist there, but....they're also highly religious. How the heck does that work?

Well, nuclear physicists are welcome apparently. ::)

Some sciences have a higher or lesser correlation with religiousity. Biology, for instance would be one with lesser correlation with religious beliefs.

I'm guessing in a theocratic country with death penalties for blasphemy and atheists, there should also be a much higher incidence of closet atheism than elsewhere. ;)

But seriously, this is just sad. Why they hell do people feel they need to carry out the will of their prefered mythical beings? If there is a god who didn't like atheists, that god could very well smite them on its own!  There's no shortage of possible god-caused deaths which don't include a country's law sentencing a person to death.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 15, 2012, 04:19:37 AM
Holy crap.

Very easy. Particularly for Muslims. All a scientist does is discover what happens, nothing more and nothing less. The Koran is the infallible word of god, yet no human could possibly know god's mind. So when a scientist discovers something that appears to conflict with the Koran it was the previous human's interpretation of the Koran that was at fault. Reality can't be wrong, the Koran can't be wrong, QED the fallible human was/is wrong. This is why scientific discoveries used to flourish under Islam, but not Christianity which valued dogma (fixed interpretation of the bible) over reality and in too many places still does.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2012, 09:10:12 AM
Very easy. Particularly for Muslims. All a scientist does is discover what happens, nothing more and nothing less. The Koran is the infallible word of god, yet no human could possibly know god's mind. So when a scientist discovers something that appears to conflict with the Koran it was the previous human's interpretation of the Koran that was at fault. Reality can't be wrong, the Koran can't be wrong, QED the fallible human was/is wrong. This is why scientific discoveries used to flourish under Islam, but not Christianity which valued dogma (fixed interpretation of the bible) over reality and in too many places still does.
good point Tank, plus the Qur'an is very short and has little real information in it, just an abridged rehash of the major biblical stories, so maybe there isn't quite so much in it for science to conflict with (although there's still plenty in there that does conflict with modern science). The Christians are catching up though, they're getting pretty good at reinterpreting parts of their holy book as allegory these days when they clearly conflict with science or history.

Asmodean

Who are the Iranians to fight Allah's battles for him? Is he, in his supposedly infinite power, too powerless to do his own dirty work, I wonder?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.