News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on January 09, 2019, 11:04:45 PM
I broke one of my big toes this afternoon. Going up a step.... not a flight of stairs... a single step. Bent it over backwards when I slipped. I'll be wearing my boots to bed from now on. If I had been wearing more than socks I would've been fine.

Ouch! *shudder*
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

Sooo painful. I go barefoot indoors all year round and every now I stub a toe and that's painful enough. Have you had to have it set, or is it just left to heal on its own? Can you get a shoe on? Are you able to work?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

Quote from: Essie Mae on January 09, 2019, 11:56:57 PM
Sooo painful. I go barefoot indoors all year round and every now I stub a toe and that's painful enough. Have you had to have it set, or is it just left to heal on its own? Can you get a shoe on? Are you able to work?

I moved everything back into place earlier. I've set worse broken bones before... I can get my boots on and they help a lot but I'm a little worried about my work shoes. They are very soft soled for slip resistance and won't offer much support. Walking is out of the question. It's a hobbling, shambling shuffle. Work might be challenging.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 09, 2019, 11:04:45 PM
I broke one of my big toes this afternoon. Going up a step.... not a flight of stairs... a single step. Bent it over backwards when I slipped. I'll be wearing my boots to bed from now on. If I had been wearing more than socks I would've been fine.

Ewwwww ouch!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

My grand daughter Natalie is a single mom. She has a little one year old demonic child who is cute as hell and although he was a preemie he is apparently healthy and happy.  The kids father turned out to be an irresponsible clod who knocked up a different woman while Natalie was pregnant with his child.

The most recent chain of events is that Natalie, who is a gainfully employed registered nurse, has had two strokes.  She is only 25 years old. At present she is still working and mobile. The chances are she might lose her job because of the strokes and possibility for another one while she is at her job at the pediatric ER at a large Hospital.  If she dies, or becomes incapable,  from another episode, then her parents will be responsible for the welfare of the little kid.  Those parents are good and responsible people but they are only middle class earners and they are approaching their sixties.

I am on the periphery here but I would almost surely become involved in the present and future of the little kid.  I am a really nice guy, a caring one, but I am approaching 90 years old and part time caring for a one year old is not on my bucket list.  Forgive me if I am a little bit grumpy.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on January 11, 2019, 01:12:31 AMForgive me if I am a little bit grumpy.

You are forgiven, you've made me a bit grumpy too.
Shouldn't a medical establishment be a bit more caring?
OK, if she was a surgeon, or a bus driver maybe she'd be a risk.

QuoteThose parents are good and responsible people but they are only middle class earners and they are approaching their sixties

God forbid Natalie suffers any further but those guys sound pretty good to me, fifties is the new forties, so they say.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 11, 2019, 10:45:14 AM
Quote from: Icarus on January 11, 2019, 01:12:31 AMForgive me if I am a little bit grumpy.

You are forgiven, you've made me a bit grumpy too.
Shouldn't a medical establishment be a bit more caring?
OK, if she was a surgeon, or a bus driver maybe she'd be a risk.

QuoteThose parents are good and responsible people but they are only middle class earners and they are approaching their sixties

God forbid Natalie suffers any further but those guys sound pretty good to me, fifties is the new forties, so they say.

Seconded.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

That's definitely something to be grumpy about. Do they have any idea if an underlying condition is causing the strokes?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

As yet no idea why the strokes have occurred in such an otherwise healthy young woman. She has had a colossal number of tests, MRIs, and other stuff.  One of her blood tests required 20 vials for that many individual analysis  procedures. Damn that 's a lot of vials of blood and ...who knows....maybe a vampire Phlebotomist.  We will have to wait and see whether the analysts discover something out of the mainstream.

Essie Mae

Here's hoping it turns out to be something treatable. A horrible set of circumstances.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dark Lightning

That's a pretty bad ailment for anyone, let alone someone that young. As was mentioned, hoping that the medical professionals suss out the cause soon!

Guardian85

Quote from: Icarus on January 13, 2019, 01:28:57 AM
As yet no idea why the strokes have occurred in such an otherwise healthy young woman. She has had a colossal number of tests, MRIs, and other stuff.  One of her blood tests required 20 vials for that many individual analysis  procedures. Damn that 's a lot of vials of blood and ...who knows....maybe a vampire Phlebotomist.  We will have to wait and see whether the analysts discover something out of the mainstream.
Phlebotomist....would be a dream job for a vampire, to be sure!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

I'm going to spend a few days in my hometown in June and a Venezuelan guy from 'the lab next door' wants to tag along. He's harmless but really clingy since he doesn't speak Portuguese all that well, and asked me to tour the city with him. He also wants to share the apartment I'm going to stay in (no way) and bought tickets for the same flights.

Two things:
1) His clinginess is starting to get to me. I get that he's insecure because of the language issues but still.  :Gaah:
2) Brasilia is not exactly a tourist city. There are some cool-looking buildings and stuff, a few museums and a dwindling nightlife but that's about it. It wasn't made for pedestrians either (it's a planned city) so to get anywhere from somewhere walking is a pain. Also, June is draught season: ugly brown grass and lots of dust in the air.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 10:32:57 AM
I'm going to spend a few days in my hometown in June and a Venezuelan guy from 'the lab next door' wants to tag along. He's harmless but really clingy since he doesn't speak Portuguese all that well, and asked me to tour the city with him. He also wants to share the apartment I'm going to stay in (no way) and bought tickets for the same flights.

Two things:
1) His clinginess is starting to get to me. I get that he's insecure because of the language issues but still.  :Gaah:
2) Brasilia is not exactly a tourist city. There are some cool-looking buildings and stuff, a few museums and a dwindling nightlife but that's about it. It wasn't made for pedestrians either (it's a planned city) so to get anywhere from somewhere walking is a pain. Also, June is draught season: ugly brown grass and lots of dust in the air.

Ooh! Sounds romantic.
:love:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 20, 2019, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 10:32:57 AM

Two things:

Ooh! Sounds romantic.
:love:

:lol: No no no no no...

I don't think that's the idea. He's just really insecure and I'm too nice.