News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Guilty Pleasures

Started by Kekerusey, August 31, 2016, 10:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

I kinda like this one:  :dance1:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Kekerusey

Quote from: No one on September 13, 2016, 10:05:30 PMAlso, I suppose you're going to tell me that the guitar player in nickelback is as good as Hendrix or Clapton.

In my opinion no but the point I am making is that neither I, nor you, nor any other f**ker in the entire world can support that argument. That is the nature of art.

To provide another example, how would you compare the best rock guitarist with the best soul one, or blues, or jazz, or country or [insert any musical genre here] ... you can't. Not empirically this is the essence of my argument. Another argument is the art of Jackson Pollock ... a brilliant artist so I am told ... $75m dollars as I recall. Personally I don't see it, nor do I think that Tracy Emin is any good or the guy who built a submarine out car tyres which I saw the same day as I saw the piece of art that was essentially a balcony surrounded by sinks. Responding to my somewhat caustic negativity someone assured me that they all work ... I was still thinking big f***ing whoop! A friend of mine has a piece of art on his wall, one of a limited set of 25 prints by an Australian artist whose name eludes me, that the Australian government has offered him £25K for ... it's done in crayon and, honestly, my kids could have done better aged 5.

The point is that art, any kind of art, be it music, TV, film, book, painting, sculpture or poem has value that is personal and not empirical so when you say Nickleback are average and Zeppelin and Rush are good then it is nothing more than your opinion especially since, as far as I'm concerned they only made two decent songs between them, "Stairway to heaven" and "YYZ" respectively.

I have no idea what your earlier post referred to.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2016, 11:46:22 PM
When I was a teenager I would listen to the pop rock band Creed. And like it.

Nickleback as well. I'm almost ashamed of that one.  :blush:
That's not so bad.  :(
I still like these two:
Shaggy - Boombastic and Ginuwine - Pony
:picard facepalm:
How embarrassing.
But this is about "Guilty Pleasures," right?
:P

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on September 13, 2016, 10:15:06 PM
I kinda like this one:  :dance1:

Yep love this. But then it's the only song by them that I know.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

I don't listen to music. When I want to break the silence and listen to this:

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Kekerusey

Quote from: Apathy on September 14, 2016, 07:51:46 AMI don't listen to music. When I want to break the silence and listen to this:

Cool, I can see that that might be kinda relaxing!

Not a guilty pleasure but once upon a time I used to listen to "whale music", just the sounds whales made in the ocean ... it was haunting and brilliant. This youtube video seems to be something like it:

Then someone, some cretin, went and ruined it by setting it to background music ... I mean WTF? It was perfect as  is(was) ... didn't need no [expletive deleted] background music.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Waski_the_Squirrel

It's brainless, it doesn't have any scientific or real world basis, and the people aren't realistic. But, I love the movie Tremors
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100814/

Magdalena

Quote from: Waski_the_Squirrel on September 16, 2016, 04:11:45 AM
It's brainless, it doesn't have any scientific or real world basis, and the people aren't realistic. But, I love the movie Tremors
I love those! The Spanish channels are showing those constantly, I, we, the whole family watches them! They are sooooooo cheap, and scary-funny!   :lol:

Tank

That is the silliest film ever! Love it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 16, 2016, 08:15:34 AM

Love it too, mostly for featuring actors not normally associated with horror flicks.  By the way, did you know they're now up to Tremors 5 (I think).  My favorite sequel is Tremors 4: the legend begins, which takes the story back to the Wild West days.  You haven't even seen silly till you've seen this:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on September 13, 2016, 10:07:48 PM
I found this for you guys.  :run!:
A Scientific Explanation for Why Everyone Hates Nickelback

This made me laugh:

QuoteAs another Nickelback scholar has observed, "the teenage girl is the most contemptible fan of all, and the mere suggestion that a band is popular with 'the girlies' may suffice to conjure the whiff of artistic failure."
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 16, 2016, 11:24:54 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 16, 2016, 08:15:34 AM

Love it too, mostly for featuring actors not normally associated with horror flicks.  By the way, did you know they're now up to Tremors 5 (I think).  My favorite sequel is Tremors 4: the legend begins, which takes the story back to the Wild West days.  You haven't even seen silly till you've seen this:

It looks terrible, I would totally watch it. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 16, 2016, 09:22:39 PM

It looks terrible, I would totally watch it. :grin:

It's even sillier and funnier than the trailer suggests.  YouTube has the full length movie, if you've got the popcorn.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

ASS BLASTERS! BLAST YOUR OWN DAMN ASS!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱