News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 19, 2022, 02:16:00 PMwhat are the applications of that level of precision on things that large?

I don't know, but they are showing off their capabilities very well to anyone who needs that kind of precision. They don't mention the accuracy, but I'm guessing that it is quite good as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Ooh! This, I am totally giving a watch.

Always fascinated me how they managed to make all them tiny parts even back in the days when precision machinery operated with a completely different understanding of "precision."
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i need to buy a lathe, but i keep finding other things to do with the money.

maybe its time to bite the bullet

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on February 18, 2023, 06:12:47 PMi need to buy a lathe, but i keep finding other things to do with the money.

maybe its time to bite the bullet

You only live once, is what I say to myself when I want a new toy.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

They are very useful, just not alone. Chucks, tooling, tools to sharpen tooling.  Indicators, indicator stands, calipers. Collets, indexing collets.

And after you have everything you need you realize that the ways are worn slam the fuck out and need to be scraped. So you buy scrapers, surface plates...

A lathe is a deep, deep rabbit hole.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on February 19, 2023, 07:22:20 PMA lathe is a deep, deep rabbit hole.
:sadnod:

...On a other hand, shiny go WHIRRRRRRR! :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.