News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident

Started by Dagda, February 16, 2010, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagda

Comments on (or in?) another thread got me thinking and I have come up with this: most truths should be based upon fact, but some truths are self evident. For instance we assume it is true that the Universe as we know it exists (solipsism is wrong etc) even although there is no way to be certain of this fact. However, at which point do we say that this truth is self evident and this one requires evidence?
That which does not benefit the hive does not benefit the bee either-Marcus Aurelius

AlP

I think there is strong evidence that the universe is all around me.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

I think there are some things that we might as well accept as a functional truth simply because doing otherwise isn't conducive to enjoying life or even just simply functioning.  Like why should I waste time I could spend enjoying the universe worrying about if it is just a figment of my imagination?

AlP

I'd replace "a functional truth" in the above with "reality". Humans constructed truth.

Dagda

Quote from: "AlP"I think there is strong evidence that the universe is all around me.

Actually there is not. There is strong evidence to suggest that you (me) exist, but as far as I am aware anything beyond that is completely unproven.
That which does not benefit the hive does not benefit the bee either-Marcus Aurelius

Whitney

Quote from: "AlP"I'd replace "a functional truth" in the above with "reality". Humans constructed truth.

I agree with your wording change.

SSY

Quote from: "Dagda"
Quote from: "AlP"I think there is strong evidence that the universe is all around me.

Actually there is not. There is strong evidence to suggest that you (me) exist, but as far as I am aware anything beyond that is completely unproven.

Sure, it is unproven, but if the only thing you're willing to accept is your own existence, you are going to lead a pretty empty life. I think it is better to accept (tentatively) that the world around me is more or less as it seems, and live my life on that basis, with a chance of being wrong, than take some mad solipsism inspired path through life (whatever the hell that would be, solipsism kinda sucks for guiding you through life I imagine).
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

AlP

Quote from: "Dagda"
I wasn't suggesting it is proven, only that there is strong evidence.

metalchick717

It would be really nice if these things could be proven. Alas, they remain theories.