News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

My Core Values -- For any curious.

Started by SektionTen, May 23, 2009, 08:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SektionTen

I saw that thread on you guys' core values, and was going to post in it, but It seems it's a dead thread. Anyway, as I was looking over the values, I noticed a broad consistency among them, with a few odd ones thrown it. My values are completely different.  :hide2:

PipeBox

So there are no values you would not discard beyond adaptability?  Just wondering.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Sophus

Have I found a fellow Ethical Nihilist?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

ProRealism

Adaptability sure does come in handy but really if that's all you have then you're just being suckered in by the crowd and you'll find yourself buying the latest trend in shoes just because someone else said to.

What would you do if you were left to your own devices then? Without something to conform to then would you do nothing?

When presented with a blank piece of paper what would you draw?

When faced with a compromise how do you decide what to do if you have no ethical preferences?

SektionTen

I think you guys are thinking that I reject all values beyond adaptability. That's not exactly it. I recognize that in any given situation there is a noble, good, and moral way of acting that should be followed. The difference is that I don't believe a set of values can adequately cover all situations in all circumstances. Lucky for me, however, I am not a mindless drone that needs a pre-recorded set of values in order to act upon them; I simply recognize which is the correct action in any given situation, which isn't really all that hard to do. I find that having a set of values which I must adhere to at all costs always produces "blind spots", but it's also stupid to try to define such a set of values, because you don't need to rigidly define them to figure out which actions are ethical in any given situation.

So really, it's not that I reject all values and only uphold adaptability, but rather I don't bother trying to define my ethical system in advance and would rather take in as much information as I can before decided what would be the best action. You see, to define your values beforehand, you need to discard all situational information because that information doesn't come beforehand, but only as you walk into it. I prefer to define my values given situational input, which means I have to continually adapt my values to the situation at hand, given that the situation is always changing.

Quote from: "ProRealism"Adaptability sure does come in handy but really if that's all you have then you're just being suckered in by the crowd and you'll find yourself buying the latest trend in shoes just because someone else said to.

What would you do if you were left to your own devices then? Without something to conform to then would you do nothing?

When presented with a blank piece of paper what would you draw?

When faced with a compromise how do you decide what to do if you have no ethical preferences?

ProRealism, I think you're confusing adaptability with "conformity", which is incorrect. The values I choose upon any given situation are determined by my wish to live consciously. Thus, I don't adapt in order to "conform", but rather I adapt to have the effect upon the world that I have consciously chosen to have. Thus, If I feel that screaming and hollering and throwing a tantrum will have the effect upon the world I consciously desire, then that is what I shall do. Of course, that doesn't have the effect I want right now. If it had the effect I wanted sometime in the future, then of course I would do it. You see, my conscious goals are not set in stone any more than the values I choose to acheive those goals. They change from moment to moment, indeed, but whatever they are,  I still seek to fulfill them.

Eh? EH?? :pop:

ProRealism

Ok then I can see how you could differentiate the terms.

I think that may be a form of moral relativism. If for example you think stealing is wrong, you still may do it for survival in some cases even if you don't normally  which would be the more logical thing to do.