Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2019, 07:55:19 AM
Love it.

Thanks, Tank. Althought it's just a maguette, my daughter wants it for her house. It should work there, because her living room is about 75 square m.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 14, 2019, 04:13:28 PM
That's interesting. It has a Yin Yang-ish look to it. :tellmemore:

My intention was to give a feeling of propeller movement. Your Yin-Yang interpretation is an added dimension; I guess others will have different impressions.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 14, 2019, 05:54:33 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 14, 2019, 04:13:28 PM
That's interesting. It has a Yin Yang-ish look to it. :tellmemore:

My intention was to give a feeling of propeller movement. Your Yin-Yang interpretation is an added dimension; I guess others will have different impressions.

I 'see' the propeller movement now that you've mentioned it. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I'm guessing that's sort of a mock up? What metal are you using for the finished product?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 14, 2019, 09:52:37 PM
I'm guessing that's sort of a mock up? What metal are you using for the finished product?

Yes, it is a mock-up. That's why I called it a maguette, which is a sculptural term for a mock-up or "dress rehearsal" before executing the final sculpture. For this one I used corrugated cardboard slices (hence the interesting textures) that I cut out by hand after printing the files from a program called Rhino. Our family factory is very busy at the moment with projects, but when things calm down later in the year I will cut the metal slices on a 3m bed CNC machine. I would like to use brass, but it isn't used much for our projects, so will probably use off-cuts of 3mm stainless or aluminium. I could use a water jet cutter to give smoother profiles, but we don't have one and don't want to pay another company to do it. As long as one has software controlled machines, one can do almost anything.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Do you do any anodizing at your facility? I bet you could get something close to brass in color with an interesting texture too.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 15, 2019, 04:29:39 AM
Do you do any anodizing at your facility? I bet you could get something close to brass in color with an interesting texture too.

No anodizing, because all the aluminium cladding sheets are bought pre-anodized.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Hermes as our resident chem wizard, you will know that stripping the anodized surface is neither difficult, nor costly. 

Actually I have anodized a gazillion small pieces and dyed them in various colors colours. 

Matter of fact I still have a substantial rectifier that I had used for that purpose.  I need that power supply like I need a paper ass but what if I want to anodize some boat parts or something one of these days. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on January 26, 2019, 11:22:27 PM
Hermes as our resident chem wizard, you will know that stripping the anodized surface is neither difficult, nor costly. 

Actually I have anodized a gazillion small pieces and dyed them in various colors colours. 

Matter of fact I still have a substantial rectifier that I had used for that purpose.  I need that power supply like I need a paper ass but what if I want to anodize some boat parts or something one of these days.

Icarus, I may have degrees in chemistry, but I've always been a traitor to my profession, in that my true passions are design and the arts. I would like the sculpture to develop a natural patina, so feel that the surface of anodized aluminium will be too clinical.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I know a cabinet maker who took a job fixing an antique China cabinet that had been destroyed by a falling tree in a hurricane. The tree fell through the house and smashed the cabinet in two.

Ralph repaired the cabinet, too well at first. It looked practically brand new. To remedy this he and his apprentice beat the cabinet with chains and burned it with cigarettes to replicate the original worn look.

Just an idea to develop a patina.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 27, 2019, 04:27:17 AM
I know a cabinet maker who took a job fixing an antique China cabinet that had been destroyed by a falling tree in a hurricane. The tree fell through the house and smashed the cabinet in two.

Ralph repaired the cabinet, too well at first. It looked practically brand new. To remedy this he and his apprentice beat the cabinet with chains and burned it with cigarettes to replicate the original worn look.

Just an idea to develop a patina.

I could turn it into a performance and sell tickets to people who want to watch the event. That would take us back to the happenings staged by Rauschenberg and other pop artists in the sixties.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

If you do we want to see the video.

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Icarus

If you were consigned to use ally then strip off the anodized parts and allow nature to take its course.  To hurry the process you could use a sodium chloride wipe or some other suitable chemical. 

From a pure art standpoint I suspect that brass would make a better choice of materials.

My town has an annual outdoor display of metal sculptures on one of our busy streets.  Artists from around the country submit their art work that is usually in steel or other metals.  Most of the work is marvelously well done but some of it is pretty weird.  My local art museum has some spectacular permanent outdoor sculpture, mostly done in stainless steel.  There are all sorts of geometric shapes that are almost suggestive of Eschers work.