News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Stop the Madness

Started by MommaSquid, August 07, 2006, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

I think we can all agree that things with onlyme have gotten out of hand.

Laetusatheos made a nice little forum and we are running it into the ground with this nonsense.  Recently I have made a conscious effort to respond to onlyme in his designated “random questions” thread, but I am finding it difficult because onlyme has a habit of derailing every topic he responds to.  

Further ridicule and fighting serve no purpose.  onlyme has claimed that he doesn’t understand how forums work; maybe it is up to us to educate him.  

I propose that we ignore his posts unless he makes a valid contribution to the conversation and stays on topic.  If anyone else has a suggestion, please post it here.

iplaw

I find forums which allow users to use an "ignore user" function in a judicious and sparing manner a good method.  Allows the troubled user to still post and only have interaction with those who choose to interact with them.

McQ

I agree, MommaSquid, but I hope this isn't simply a finger-pointing exercise. As I recall, everyone, including you, was taking pot shots at onlyme all along.

I also recall iplaw doing some sarcastic and counterproductive name-calling when he called Chris "Gramps", and that Chris' writings are "hippie drivel" and that is was "Time to head back to the home for jello pudding and craft time."

So let's not get too self-righteous here, ok?

That said, I agree completely that it has not been a good or positive thing for the forum, and that I took part in it. I will make a commitment to keep things civil, as I was trying to do early on in postings with onlyme, when everyone else was bashing him.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

Quote from: "McQ"I agree, MommaSquid, but I hope this isn't simply a finger-pointing exercise. As I recall, everyone, including you, was taking pot shots at onlyme all along.

I have admitted (in another thread) to having my fun at onlyme’s expense.  I am now proposing that we all unite in an effort to clean up the forum.  You may ignore my proposal if you wish.

Quote from: "iplaw""ignore user" function
I don’t think we have that ability here.  But we can all read a post, decide if it adds to the conversation and stays on topic, and ignore or respond as we see fit.  Like I said, onlyme has a habit of derailing every thread he responds to.  The occasional odd comment is fine, and most of us do that, but that’s not what onlyme does.  

I am making an honest attempt to change my ways and contribute to the health of this forum.

Whitney

I personally find the ignore function childish and on forums where it is made available it ends up becoming an issue in itself.  We are all adults and can exercise restraint by not responding to someone who annoys us.  If that someone is annoying everyone then it is better for that person to either change their ways or leave than to have them talking to themselves.

McQ

I agree to unite to clean up the forum. I never said I was going to ignore your suggestion, MommaSquid. In fact, I said I agreed with it. It's good.

I don't think we need an "ignore" feature either, atheus. MommaSquid is on the money with her suggestion.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

Alright, sounds good. This will be an excellent exercise in restraint.

Onlyme is probably going to respond to this thread as well in due time.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "McQ"MommaSquid is on the money with her suggestion

Quote from: "Big Mac"Alright, sounds good. This will be an excellent exercise in restraint.  

Thanks for your support.  I think if we all stick together we will see positive changes.   :)

Big Mac

Or it may destroy us....bum bum bummmmmmmm bumm bum bum bummmmmm!!!

Whitney

mommasquid...sounds like a good idea to me.

On a similar note, it would be good if everyone practiced restraint in general, for example, if someone starts a little fight don't help to stir the flames...find a way to discuss things in a civil manner.  Part of the reason I started this forum was to not have the flame sessions that occur on other forums...but the only way to achieve that goal is for everyone to also have that goal.  Sound good?

Big Mac

Well, my friends, at 430 posts, it seems only me is finally going to give up and leave this place. I would say I'm going to miss him but I think everyone knows that is a joke at best.

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/fpost2902.html#2902

Anyone else celebrating with a few beers like me?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Big Mac"Well, my friends, at 430 posts, it seems only me is finally going to give up and leave this place. I would say I'm going to miss him but I think everyone knows that is a joke at best.

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/fpost2902.html#2902

Notice that he went off topic yet again!  He didn't even post his intention to leave in the right thread.  Some people never learn.

Quote from: "Big Mac"Anyone else celebrating with a few beers like me?  

:cheers:  

(clink)