News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Was Ireland Pro Nazi?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 17, 2017, 02:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

Let's just say I am proud to be Irish! My ancestors came from County Clare to New York city around the year 1885, yet I still consider myself as Irish as any real Irish person today!

I love St. Patricks Day, and Irish music can be so mysterious, sad, but also fun loving and happy!

That being sad, I am sad to say it appears Ireland was a borderline axis power in World War 2!

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/ireland-and-the-nazis-a-troubled-history-1.3076579

According to this article, yes Ireland was neutral but there was an unhealthy amount of Pro hitler leanings particularly amongst the IRA.

I really hope this isn't the case. If it was even remotely true I think it was sort of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" so to speak. Remember Engalnd was an occupying power in Ireland until recently and treated the Catholic Irish quite cruelly.

You seem a rather well read lot, well versed in history and politics. Is it fair to say Ireland had a pro Hitler leaning, or just simply an anti British one?

The anti British thing only holds so much. America had more Irish Catholics in it than Ireland did at the time, and it was anti Hitler.

jumbojak

If'n you weren't born in Ireland you ain't Irish. Having said that... I could imagine some support for Germany as a foil to the British but I doubt it was particularly committed. There were German attempts to spark rebellion in Ireland during WWI which could have been a factor as well. I could be completely off base here though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

I hate St. Patrick's Day here in the US...even when I was a kid I thought it was kind of ridiculous, with adults running around dressed as if Dr. Suess has designed the costumes, which really are so blatantly and crassly synthetic.

It's nothing more than a cheap marketing bonanza as greetings cards and worthless crap fill drugstores, along with "Imported" Irish shamrocks (indeed anything green and remotely Irish) show up on T-shirts, and the food and drink that became associated with the day have became nothing more than cheap bar promotions.

What other cultures do we celebrate simply by acting like an overgrown frat boys all day, oh I almost forgot...it has about as much to do with Ireland as a Cinco de Mayo sombrero has to do with commemorating the Mexican army's victory over the French at the Day of the Battle of Puebla.

First of all St. Patrick was British...not Irish, furthermore; "Patty" is a diminutive of Patricia, while Paddy comes from the Gaelic name Pádraig.

St. Patrick's Day celebrations are a lot like dyeing the Chicago river green, toxic and ephemeral, fading by the following day. Leaving nothing it it's wake but piles of trash and deep hangovers.

Some things are meant to be green, like trees, fields, Mint Cornettos, fucking cucumbers, and some things should just be left the way they are.

Damn it!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

Blah, blah, blah, I'm so proud of the patch of Earth that my forebears hailed from.

Recusant

The article that SisterAgatha linked to in the OP is a good synopsis of the relations between Eire and Nazi Germany. It deals with her disingenuous questions rather well.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on October 17, 2017, 03:08:42 PM
If'n you weren't born in Ireland you ain't Irish.

I remembered reading this, thought it was less than a month ago though.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/citizenship-gparents-born-ireland
QuoteYou may be an Irish citizen (or entitled to citizenship) based on when and where you, your parents or your grandparents/great-grandparents were born - or for how long your parents lived in Ireland before your birth.

Recently we've had something of constitutional crisis.
The constitution says you can't be a member of federal parliament and a citizen of a foreign land.
Lots, or at least some foreign lands have an inclusive attitude towards their diaspora.
The deputy prime minister had to resign because his father was born in New Zealand and that entitled him to NZ citizenship and he hadn't thought to renounce it.  There have been more than a few others gone the same way.
My wife's mother was UK born so she (she meaning my wife) would have to renounce UK citizenship to be a legit member of parliament.

'stralians with Italian routes that have never been to Italy can vote in Italian elections, so I've heard.

The USA way isn't the only way.
I remember poor Rupert having to renounce his home.
Cruel, you deserved Fox News.

"If'n you weren't born in Ireland you ain't Irish."

Must be ironical, otherwise it'd be far far from correct.

If'n you weren't born in America you ain't American.

Anyway none of that is of my immediate concern.

If you I or SisterAgatha lives in a stolen land.
One you are never truly going ever belong to.
Whatever recompense offered isn't enough.
You could think of a far away green land,
Or drink a lot and listen to The Pogues,
You could
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

SisterAgatha

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 17, 2017, 03:42:16 PM
I hate St. Patrick's Day here in the US...even when I was a kid I thought it was kind of ridiculous, with adults running around dressed as if Dr. Suess has designed the costumes, which really are so blatantly and crassly synthetic.

It's nothing more than a cheap marketing bonanza as greetings cards and worthless crap fill drugstores, along with "Imported" Irish shamrocks (indeed anything green and remotely Irish) show up on T-shirts, and the food and drink that became associated with the day have became nothing more than cheap bar promotions.

What other cultures do we celebrate simply by acting like an overgrown frat boys all day, oh I almost forgot...it has about as much to do with Ireland as a Cinco de Mayo sombrero has to do with commemorating the Mexican army's victory over the French at the Day of the Battle of Puebla.

First of all St. Patrick was British...not Irish, furthermore; "Patty" is a diminutive of Patricia, while Paddy comes from the Gaelic name Pádraig.

St. Patrick's Day celebrations are a lot like dyeing the Chicago river green, toxic and ephemeral, fading by the following day. Leaving nothing it it's wake but piles of trash and deep hangovers.

Some things are meant to be green, like trees, fields, Mint Cornettos, fucking cucumbers, and some things should just be left the way they are.

Damn it!

I understand what you mean Father Bruno. It has become rather bowdlerized hasn't it, especially in recent years. It is no longer even a holiday for Irish Catholics, but for Americans of all stripes. As a proud descendeant of Hibernia's sacred Sod I say bully for them! What a wonderful way for all things Irish to be celebrated!

I understand it is more of a solemn high holy day in Ireland. I suppose I like it in the sense I love a good Irish fiddle tune, beer/whiskey and the color green. It just has fallen victim to Christmas syndrome a bit.

Ireland was not pro-Nazi exactly but it was foolishly ambiguous in and after the war, and I say this as an Irish Catholic. De Valera expressing his condolences at Hitler's suicide,  refusing to permanently take even a paltry amount of Jewish refugees (UK took hundreds of thousands), and the most shameful of all, giving a dishonorable discharge to thousands of Irish soldiers who fought in the British army.

There is one consolation for me and my Irish heritage. Belfast and Northern Ireland apparently did a lot to help the British cause in WW2, since Belfast had a massive naval and factory base. Even though it is a predominatnely Scots-Irish Presbyterian entity, there surely were Catholics involved in the war effort!

Bad Penny II

QuoteThere is one consolation for me and my Irish heritage. Belfast and Northern Ireland apparently did a lot to help the British cause in WW2,
Is that the non catholic bits?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.