News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Fake News

Started by Bad Penny II, June 02, 2018, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Today Pope Never Fiddled A'boy the 1st invoked his infallible super power to declare that old people seeking to avoid the pain and inelegance of old age by transferring their consciousness to digital form are mortal sinners, and god doesn't like them any more.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

No one

Does god even like anyone?

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on June 02, 2018, 04:17:05 PM
Does god even like anyone?

You know he likes Any one.
Isn't that why you're so glum?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

It would be meddling in divine matters in the view of the Catholic church, I expect, not to mention attempting to cheat the Christian god as well as disrespecting the inestimable gift he supposedly gave us (a mortal body). Yeah, I can see how a pope might feel it necessary to express official disapproval of such a thing.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Unfake news but RCC knocking relevant:

QuoteFather Ted set to return with Ireland's favourite priest as the Pope in new musical

The show is perhaps Ireland's most famous comedy export, and ran for three series on Channel 4 between 1995 and 1998.

It featured the adventures of an Irish parish priest, Father Ted Crilly, in fictional Craggy Island.

In the musical, Ted will move from the island to take up the role of Pope in the Vatican.
https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/father-ted-set-to-return-with-irelands-favourite-priest-as-the-pope-in-new-musical-a3853781.html

If you have never heard of "Father Ted" it is an hilarious parody/satire!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Old Seer

So, how did the Pope come up with the idea that one can transfer his/her/other/insert own here- consciousness to digital form. I didn't know that could be done. Consciousness is not even known to be understood. (as far as I know). Anyone can be infallible?---1+1=2, there--I did it. Go ahead, try it for yourself.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Arturo

Quote from: Recusant on June 02, 2018, 06:51:11 PM
It would be meddling in divine matters in the view of the Catholic church, I expect, not to mention attempting to cheat the Christian god as well as disrespecting the inestimable gift he supposedly gave us (a mortal body). Yeah, I can see how a pope might feel it necessary to express official disapproval of such a thing.

In that case every catholic should stop taking medicine and using doctors. And just wait for God's plan to take them to the grave.

Quote from: Old Seer on June 02, 2018, 10:26:19 PM
So, how did the Pope come up with the idea that one can transfer his/her/other/insert own here- consciousness to digital form. I didn't know that could be done. Consciousness is not even known to be understood. (as far as I know). Anyone can be infallible?---1+1=2, there--I did it. Go ahead, try it for yourself.

He watches a lot of science fiction on YouTube. Or someone else has and they kept bugging him about it. There was a thing about that a few years back that with the progression of neuroscience with things like "brain mapping" and technology people would begin to slowly transfer themselves into the digital world. This would most likely not be an actual transfer of your conscious self into the digital format but more like a copy. President Obama had been the one to announce that officially but who knows how that project is going now with all the arbitrary budget changes.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

I suppose that today's Fake News should be no surprise since humanity has made shit up ever since we got a functioning imagination.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank link=topic=15818.msg375664#msg375664
I suppose that today's Fake News should be no surprise since humanity has made shit up ever since we got a functioning imagination.
I think it's other things, including an agenda, but mainly language.

Many social animals have inagination, if limited to "life play" mainly, and many also have power agendas. Our difference is that we have a complex language to describe or promote our agendas to others and the means to do so to a very wide audience via the media.

Plus, of course, a largely credulous public who believe what they read and hear if it in any way resonates with their gut feeling.

[Re-written 'cos I wanted to develop the idea.]
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74