News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

It Gets Better Project for LGBTQ youth

Started by Amicale, February 11, 2012, 02:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

I forgot to mention that I really like this project, btw! I remember watching the first couple when it first started up and then the whole thing just exploded across the internet (in a good way)  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Willow

Q = Gender Queer, people who do not want to be constrained by our bipolar ideas of gender use it.  If you think of a trans person as someone whose gender identity is misaligned with their body sex, then a gender queer person does not feel that they need to ally themselves with men or women, but are people between or outside of gender.

Amicale

I wanted to share one specific video for the It Gets Better project from the University of Florida. Paul Favini (the professor in the video wearing the orange shirt and blue tie, which are the school colours I'd guess) just passed away after a long, hard fight with cancer. He was looked after by his partner, John Reger.

According to an email from Mr. Favini's brother in law to the Savage Love podcast, even while he had cancer, Paul continued to work with students (and the LGBT community specifically), to encourage them and give them hope. This man was an inspiration, and seeing him speak here about the need for community, love and acceptance is a privilege:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWtvwALxQo

I don't mind telling you that although I never met this man, I did in fact cry after watching this video and hearing his story. If I'd had professors like him in university, my own world would have been a better place.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

statichaos

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan