News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Sexist Super Bowl Ad

Started by Arturo, February 08, 2017, 08:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Now I don't hate woman, but this ad was blatantly sexist toward men. Most of the "facts" they put out here are not even true, and if they were the company who made the ad is guilty of doing so.

The ad is by Bianco Footwear and in the ad they are talking about how clothes are more expensive for woman so woman deserve more. But they sell over priced clothes! They also say there is not equal pay "anywhere in the world" which is an admission of guilt on the level of Donald Trump.

Meanwhile through the whole commercial there are women abusing men and at the same time telling you women need more. Essentially that's on the level of "do what I'll say or I'll hurt you".

I mean I'm not sexist or anything, I believe there should be equality but this isn't even talking about equality!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Don't see it as a problem. I mean, we're still in a male dominated society, though we have made some steps towards equality (and recently some steps backward), we're still a long way away from worrying about having to defend men's rights against women trying to control them.

So when I hear men complain about women being sexist towards men, I mostly just laugh. At least until or even if it ever becomes a problem, I don't think that it's an issue to take seriously.

Wake me up when they're forcing us men to have or not have medical procedures done to our genitals.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Yeah I don't know about the gender wage gap either. I haven't seen the statistics for myself but it's illegal to not be paid the same based on gender, yet people say woman don't get paid as much as men. Then I hear that woman don't take the high paying jobs as often as men do which would account for the gap.

But none of this is backed up by statistics. All of it is just anecdotes. However I would  ask why woman aren't taking higher paying jobs and try to come up with some data for that.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

The wage gap is a complicated issue. The statistics do show that women are paid less on average. People try to justify what the statistics show, those are the people that need to back up their claims. But because of mountains of past examples, one needs to highly scrutinize and evaluate any claims, in as unbiased a way as possible, that blame the victims.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Gender dufferences in pay are a whole crate of canned worms!

Where a woman is doing exactly the same job as a man there should be no difference at all. A friend's daughter is a building site labourer - she is a very strong and solid young woman. She gets paid the same rate as the young men in her skill grade, because she can hump as many bricks around as they can! She spent all her weekends since age six mucking out horses for a local stable to get rides - now she has to maintain her own horse.

Years ago, when they still made Ford cars in the UK,there was a strike in the upholstery shop. The women machinists and assemblers got a much lower wage than the male engineering machinists and assemplers. Both jobs required training but both were repetitive step-wise functions - the very basic of education was sufficient.

So, all that was needed was decent eye sight, good hand-eye coordinations, average strength and probably more muscle memory than intellect. Taken down to basics the functions they were very similar in their requirements, so should the wages have been.

[For some readon my tablet has taken it on itself to capitalise after commas . . .] [Also to charge at half its normal rate  >:( ]
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

To me, this is nothing more than an overly exaggerated, quite frankly retarded, commercial about shoes and fashion. In my honest opinion, if shoes and fashion rank this highly in your world order, you have some serious issues.

Arturo

Quote from: No one on February 08, 2017, 09:49:24 PM
To me, this is nothing more than an overly exaggerated, quite frankly retarded, commercial about shoes and fashion. In my honest opinion, if shoes and fashion rank this highly in your world order, you have some serious issues.

Yes I saw someone pick apart this commercial as well and showed how men's and woman's underwear cost the same. Just to make sure they were right, I went to amazon and yes they are about the same, unless you count bras as underwear.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Quote from: Apathy on February 08, 2017, 09:53:37 PM. . . unless you count bras as underwear.

What in the hell would you count them as, if not underwear?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 08, 2017, 10:17:47 PM
Quote from: Apathy on February 08, 2017, 09:53:37 PM. . . unless you count bras as underwear.

I would also like to know! :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

It's an ad, it's propaganda, which aims to tap into some deep-seated emotion present in a group who might feel oppressed in some way or form, and seek liberation. It's parasitical, in a way. 

If the idea is to stir controversy and get people talking so that they get more exposure, they've probably achieved that.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

Quote from: Recusant on February 08, 2017, 10:17:47 PM

I mean I thought they were there own thing. I wear layers in winter sometimes but I don't call the shirt at the bottom underwear.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on February 08, 2017, 08:36:03 PM
So when I hear men complain about women being sexist towards men, I mostly just laugh.
I don't. In my society, I could potentially not get a job while being the most qualified applicant simply because of my gender. A woman runs no such risk. Yes, I could go on, but I will not... Yet.

Sexism is a game both sides can play, and play it well they do. Me, I just try to avoid being sucked into it. I am not pro-equality as such, but I am absolutely for equal starting conditions for everyone. Still, not broadly discriminating against women, men or donkeys, for that matter, I still manage to annoy most modern feminists I get into a discussion with... I wonder why? May my aversion to any sort of preferential treatment for any one, including women, be an issue?

The answer, by the way, is "yes." Yes, it quite often is.

Moralising time.

...On second thought, nah. I'll get to it if I manage to start a fire in a jug of water again.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on February 09, 2017, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: Davin on February 08, 2017, 08:36:03 PM
So when I hear men complain about women being sexist towards men, I mostly just laugh.
I don't. In my society, I could potentially not get a job while being the most qualified applicant simply because of my gender. A woman runs no such risk. Yes, I could go on, but I will not... Yet.
That is something that is more complicated than you make it sound. Here in the US there was a thing known as affirmative action where by a company large enough, was required to hire a percentage of minorities. I heard pretty much the same issues brought up by white dudes, "well, if I go in to get a job and I'm more qualified than a black guy, I still won't get the job." I have a lot of issues with such a statement. For one, for a long time, the "black guy" had zero chance to get a job no matter how qualified he was because people were allowed to discriminate against race. So which is more important to me, that I might be more qualified and lose a job opportunity, or that members of my country may never be able to get a job no matter how qualified?

Another problem is that being qualified is somehow quantifiable. I get that we want to be able to code and rank things, but I don't see how that is possible. We can't look at the paper trail, so many people with good recommendations, good education, and great looking job history have turned out to be more useless than a high school student. The other problem is that even if we could trust the papers, how is someone who is not going to be allowed to work, because of their gender or race, supposed to start creating their own job history and references?

I get that it's not a perfect system, but at times, some intervention is useful to try to get us as a society to a point where we don't need to police people being bigoted assholes.

Quote from: AsmodeanSexism is a game both sides can play, and play it well they do.
It is, but the women oppressing men thing isn't even close to being a problem. It's like worrying about what were going to do when out planet is going into global cooling trend. Like putting the cart before the horse.

Dave

In some cases in the UK the initial stages, resumė to application form and any tests, are done "incognito". It is only when the interviews take place, after any shortlisting or grading, that the gender and ethnicity are made known to those who chose the final candidate(s).

I like that system.

Not sure whether age is "hidden" or not.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on February 09, 2017, 01:59:36 PM
That is something that is more complicated than you make it sound.
In certain areas, yes. Where I am at, not at all. (That being middle-middle class and above in an urban Northern European setting)

QuoteHere in the US there was a thing known as affirmative action where by a company large enough, was required to hire a percentage of minorities.
Yes, I actually know that. Yay, me!

QuoteI heard pretty much the same issues brought up by white dudes, "well, if I go in to get a job and I'm more qualified than a black guy, I still won't get the job." I have a lot of issues with such a statement.
If the statement is correct right here and now (Or, well, at the time it's made) is your issue with it objectively-ish valid?

QuoteFor one, for a long time, the "black guy" had zero chance to get a job no matter how qualified he was because people were allowed to discriminate against race.
And if that is still the case, that issue may well require addressing, but not at the expense of any fucking body else. If, on the other hand, your use of past tense indicates a past issue, then maybe the current problem is something else?

QuoteSo which is more important to me, that I might be more qualified and lose a job opportunity, or that members of my country may never be able to get a job no matter how qualified?
I despise using the following statement, but this screams for a "The former president was African American." oO(Especially in light of how the oranger sort of gentleman seems to be going about running the "free world")

I do recognise the validity of your question, subjective as it may be. Me, I'm a strong proponent of a "Fuck you. Earn it." attitude. That's well-established. Thus, my answer to it would be "If they didn't earn it, it's only fair that they don't get it. If they did earn it, they should have it."

QuoteAnother problem is that being qualified is somehow quantifiable.
Not really. I even have a formula for comparing qualifications around here somewhere, with weighing of education, experience, various personality traits, etc. Actually, written recommendations are not worth that much more than the paper they are printed on, according to that. Interviewing former co-workers does yield reasonable results though.

That said...

QuoteI get that we want to be able to code and rank things, but I don't see how that is possible. We can't look at the paper trail, so many people with good recommendations, good education, and great looking job history have turned out to be more useless than a high school student.
...this is a non-issue, because one has to assume that a person hired based on some affirmative action scenario would be just as susceptible to poor hiring practices as the rest of them. Just because you have to hire somebody to fill some bullshit government quota, does not mean that that somebody will turn out to be more useful than a high school student. At a certain point, you just take a chance on a person. Sometimes you get lucky. If you do your job right and preferably without interference, you are likely to get lucky more often.

QuoteThe other problem is that even if we could trust the papers, how is someone who is not going to be allowed to work, because of their gender or race, supposed to start creating their own job history and references?
Start at the bottom and kiss influential ass all the way to the top, just like the rest of us losers. Well, not necessarily, but this is also a non-issue. I was a useless-ass student without any sort of job history too at one point, and I'm doing OK. I wasn't just handed my victories to either. And I am far - FAR from unique. Most people I've had the misfortune of meeting have followed a similar path. Men, women, whites, Middle-Easterners, Africans... Whoever. You start with nothing - if you are lucky, with whatever your parents give you. If you are very lucky, that also contains a solid network which can propel you along. Then you build on that, one fucking brick at a time. From there, it's the proverbial "Be good, get good or give up."

QuoteI get that it's not a perfect system, but at times, some intervention is useful to try to get us as a society to a point where we don't need to police people being bigoted assholes.
Yeah... At the risk of sounding Republican, that's their bigoted asshole parents' job.

QuoteIt is, but the women oppressing men thing isn't even close to being a problem. It's like worrying about what were going to do when out planet is going into global cooling trend. Like putting the cart before the horse.
It's a moot point. People oppressing other people within their society is a problem for me as long as it affects me in any way, shape or form, which it often does (albeit indirectly)

Who is oppressing who and based on what traits is... An artificial issue, I'm inclined to call it. Are you a woman being oppressed by men, or an Asian being oppressed by Indians, or a G being oppressed by an H? I don't give a shit. You've had me at oppressed (If you indeed are, by any standard I am willing to apply to the term)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.