Words, Words And More Words!

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 04, 2017, 01:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Yes, the Dothraki own it now. It is known. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: Father Bruno on February 25, 2017, 08:03:43 PM
This is the top definition of "It Is Known" on the Urban Dictionary.

TOP DEFINITION   
It is known.
an expression indicating that a given idea is based more on superstition or outright bullshit than on fact \ derived from dialogue in TV series "Game of Thrones"
Global warming is naturally caused by the Sun - just as the Moon is a goddess and the Sun's wife; it is known.
#falsehood #superstition #myth #hyperbole #misrepresentation
:o

Meh, the phrase predates "Game of Thrones." I recall hearing it in the 70s. It may currently mean what the Urban Dictionary says, but originally it was simply a smug assertion, and didn't connote "superstition or outright bullshit."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

I think this sort if thing is become a common "problem".

Because something becomes an iconic meme of a recent popular person or series or whatever, and therefore gets "attached" in social media, it becomes assumed that it originated with whatever the modern source is. I would bet that, "It is known..."  has been used in rhetorical speeches and orations since such were first uttered!

Nothing like as new minted and unique as, "It does what it says on the tin..."! Now, how many times have I heard that applied to other than a specific brand of wood preservative - until many have forgotten its origin, it has developed an idiomatic life all of its own. But, one day it will be forgotten, until another utters or uses it and it becomes "theirs" thereafter.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I won't assert it with certainty but the association with GoT will most likely fade in some years and it might take on another meaning.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 27, 2017, 12:54:03 AM
I won't assert it with certainty but the association with GoT will most likely fade in some years and it might take on another meaning.
Or be rediscovered and re-attributed?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 27, 2017, 01:18:01 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 27, 2017, 12:54:03 AM
Or be rediscovered and re-attributed?

Time will tell.

xSilverPhinx

More of a challenge this time:

How would you explain the verb "to fold", as in fold a piece of paper, to someone with intermediate English. Words such as "bend" are a no-no.  :sadshake:

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2017, 01:24:37 AM
More of a challenge this time:

How would you explain the verb "to fold", as in fold a piece of paper, to someone with intermediate English. Words such as "bend" are a no-no.  :sadshake:

Bend is like folds smaller weaker brother. Fold does 250 bench press at the gym all the way through while bend can't get a full report with 15 lb curls.

Ok but seriously, they would both work in that sentence but it depends on what meaning you want to get across. Fold is going all the way and putting a crease that can't be removed. Bend is to just shape the paper so it's a different shape but not to where it won't go back. Additionally, bend can be used to convey the same as fold and people will still know what you mean but fold doesn't hold that nuance.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

This is an old one, but can still elicit interesting responses:

How would you convey the meaning of "left" and "right" to an alien civilization? You can only use verbal communication, no pictures. The aliens have a perfect understanding of English.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 16, 2017, 04:25:23 AM

How would you convey the meaning of "left" and "right" to an alien civilization? You can only use verbal communication, no pictures. The aliens have a perfect understanding of English.

They are both directions going on a horizontal plane. One goes east as if looking at a map, that's right. The other one goes in the opposite direction towards west, that's left.

Easy. I did not use an actual map but telepathically sent the image to their mind.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Quote from: Arturo on March 16, 2017, 05:31:34 AM

They are both directions going on a horizontal plane. One goes east as if looking at a map, that's right. The other one goes in the opposite direction towards west, that's left.

Easy. I did not use an actual map but telepathically sent the image to their mind.

Good, so how would you define east and west?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Observe the face of an Earthling clock.
Draw out that face on the ground, including marking the centre of that face, the location where the two pointers, or "hands", obviously swivel, at a size that you can stand in and be able to see the numbers in the face by turning your head and/or twisting your body.
Stand at the centre point of that clock-face-on-the-floor such that you are facing the number 12.
Turn your head to look to the number at 90 degrees from that number 12.
If that number is 9 you are looking to your left side.
If that number is 3 then you are looking to your right side.

hermes2015

Perhaps I should clarify:

The idea is to explain to an alien on another planet what me mean by left and right, without using any pictures.

I think it would be much easier to explain to the alien what the directions "up" and "down" mean. We can say that down is the direction that points to the centre of their planet (if they live on a planet). Left and right seem far more difficult directions to define. I suspect we would need some advanced physics.
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 16, 2017, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: Arturo on March 16, 2017, 05:31:34 AM

Good, so how would you define east and west?

They should know if they understand English.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on March 16, 2017, 12:31:22 PM
Observe the face of an Earthling clock.
Draw out that face on the ground, including marking the centre of that face, the location where the two pointers, or "hands", obviously swivel, at a size that you can stand in and be able to see the numbers in the face by turning your head and/or twisting your body.
Stand at the centre point of that clock-face-on-the-floor such that you are facing the number 12.
Turn your head to look to the number at 90 degrees from that number 12.
If that number is 9 you are looking to your left side.
If that number is 3 then you are looking to your right side.
We would have to send instructions to draw a clock face, going back to the problem of describing what clockwise and anticlockwise mean, so that the numbers can be drawn in the correct direction.
― Charles Eames