News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Started by MommaSquid, July 05, 2006, 11:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

I don’t listen to the radio very often, but I had the local rock station on today and they censored a Green Day song.   The line in Holiday is “kill all the fags that don’t agree” and they made some weird noise over the word fag.  

This has become more prevalent in my area (Phoenix). Stone Temple Pilots songs that used to get played unmolested now are played in a censored form.  Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind gets censored here, too.  And the list goes on.  :evil:

My view is if you can’t play the song the way it was intended to be heard, then don’t play the damn song at all.  

Howard Stern went to satellite radio to get away from the FCC.  The show didn’t get any dirtier, even though they can say whatever they want whenever they want.  Consumers can decide for themselves what they don't want to hear and change the station.  

Hubby and I read Scott Adam’s blog and he mentioned that any newspaper that prints Dilbert has the right to censor his strip.  WTF?!

Maybe I’m just in a mood today, but that doesn’t make this any less wrong.  

Thanks.  I feel better now.

Whitney

I agree...they shouldn't censor anything like that.  I think people have gone overboard with censorship.  Unless the station is specifically family oriented  they shouldn't have a need to censor (and if that's the case they should just find other content).  

I didn't even know that Holiday said fag...which is just another reason not to censor.  In most cases it brings more attention to the words.

TwistOfCain

You're in Phoenix, MommaSquid? I'm in Tempe! Cool.

You know, even down in Georgia they didn't censor the word "fag" in that song. And Georgia's in the middle of the Bible belt. What the hell's up?
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Whitney

They don't censor it in oklahoma either....part of why I didn't now fag was in the song.  But, they do bleep out other words here on some stations like bitch and fuck.

Court

Well, it does say kill the fags, and the bible belt certainly agrees with that statement...
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Whitney

Quote from: "Court"Well, it does say kill the fags, and the bible belt certainly agrees with that statement...

The song seems to be anti-religion...it's a surprise that any religious person likes it.

Lyrics

Big Mac

Well they probably aren't to sharp on subtle things like that. Hell even Kent HOvind used an April Fool's Joke on Young Earth Creationism for a serious presentation against evolution.

http://www.nmsr.org/Archive.html

http://www.nmsr.org/hovind.htm
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Jassman

I will never understand why certain words are deemed by society as evil and offensive.

Offense is subjective. It is your choice whether to find the term "fag" objectionable.

I don't believe in "going to far" or "crossing a line". Racism for instance would lose a lot of its power if people just decided that words like nigger, wop, and cracker weren't actually harmful or offensive. The only reason that a word like "nigger" has any power at all is because people have decided that it does.

Censorship, outside of a very select few circumstances, is complete bullshit.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Big Mac

I agree. If you don't like to listen to something, change the station or turn it off. It's not like someone put a gun to your head and made you listen to it against your will. I especially hate how people like the AFA will cause a fuss over a show like Desperate Housewives. Ohhhh, a show that talks about sex but shows covered up boobies.....very very bad.....

I'm gonna go watch the Shit Episode of South Park now.....

Court

That's a good episode :)
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

Yeah I especially like the part when the Dragon talks, Cartman's all "What a stupid voice..."

Court

:D
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Asmodean Prime

Censorship is insidious.  Once it gains a foothold, it is accepted without too much protest.  For example, network television and basic cable are heavily pre-censored for content...yet hardly a whimper emerges any longer from the general public.  If anything, the public protests are for increased censorship, not less.  There is nothing one can do about pre-censorship.  On the other hand, post-censorship is actionable.  For example, I NEVER watch a movie on network television.  If I can't see the director's vision, untampered by naysaying nabobs, I'd rather not watch it at all.  Now for the bad news...the music industry has become as bad as the movie industry, in that two versions of the same product are almost always created, if there is a desire for larger distribution.  The pre-censored version is what one most often hears or views if listening/viewing anything the FCC claims jurisdiction over.  Most people aren't even aware this is occurring, but it is woven throughout almost all media creations these days.  

Censorship is fucked up.  Pre-censorship is even more fucked up.  Post-censorship is the norm.  Did we win over the Soviet Union, or did their values win over us?

Jassman

Another reason why I refrain from listening to the radio. That and the fact that radio-played music always sucks.

Did you guys see the "Cartoon Wars" set of episodes of South Park taking on censorship?

Comedy Central proved Matt and Trey's point so perfectly by censoring the episodes...
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Chris"Censorship is insidious...Censorship is fucked up.  Pre-censorship is even more fucked up.  Post-censorship is the norm.  Did we win over the Soviet Union, or did their values win over us?

Well said.  

I don't know what's happened to this country.  Too many people are afraid of too many things.    

QuoteTwistofCain wrote:   You're in Phoenix, MommaSquid? I'm in Tempe! Cool

Actually I'm in the 'burbs, too.  I'm too paranoid to give my actual location.  Can't sleep, clowns will get me!