News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Yep! Hope they get you sorted out soonest, BN.

Our NHS is in winter mode, more sick people than beds or hands, so there will be some postponed or even cancelled elective ops here. Just hope they are looking after those who need treatment well.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Bluenose on January 03, 2018, 11:02:12 AM
Started dialysis a couple of weeks ago.  All going fine until Tuesday when the needles kept clotting.  Now I'm sitting in hospital waiting to get on a list with the vascular team to perform an angioplasty.  Boring!  I'm not sick, I'm here because I need the procedure and they're not doing it for outpatients at the moment so I'm an inpatient.  Thank the FSM I brought my notebook in!
I hope everything goes well, Bluenose:console:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Thanks peoples, hopefully they get a slot on the list today.  Meanwhile I'm fasting...   :(
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Hang in there Bluenose.  You are our favorite Aussie and we HAFers need you to be up and running so that you can properly instruct us about all those wondrous things antipodean.

Bluenose

Ha, Ha!  Thanks Icarus, I'll do my best.  I'm on the list for tomorrow, then I get to go home, since it's not that major a procedure, it's just necessary... LOL
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Grrr, bloody Microshit does it again!

It was insistent that I download a major so-called upgrade. I did so, started about 7 last night, took two hourse to "prepare" my machine. This morning it wanted to do actual indtallation job, started that at about 11am, when I had to leave for an appointment, 2pm, it was still at 92% done - had to leave the laptop on unattended. Don't like doing that.

Switched it back on when I got home, entered my PIN . . .

"Personal Profile Service has failed . . ."

Tried my password - same result and the ever useful hint to go to the password change site (on a computer that you cannot even get started?) But I went there on my tablet and changed the password anyway - which proved the first password was still valid until then.

Then asked for help from my Linux using IT technician neighbour (he has to use Microsoft at work). Took us half an hour to find the appropriate page (where someone had figured the solution) and fix the problem.

The blurb for the upgrade said that my settings would not be changed and that reversing the upgrade was easy. Yeah, more Microshit shit...

Now I have to look for that path all over again and get familiar with it in case it crops up in my "Computer Buddy" mode!

PS

Here is a link to the site with the fix - just in case . . .

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-user-profile-service-failed-sign-solved

Link placed in "Tech help" thread as well.

Harmonie

Since I left the house, my dad has gotten into the annoying habit of leaving the toilet seat up. I've been home for a few weeks. I should be used to it by now. But just now it slipped my mind. And... I fell in.

:lynch:

Venting about this here because I don't want to get into it with my dad. It would get me nowhere.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dave

Quote from: Harmonie on January 05, 2018, 12:54:04 AM
Since I left the house, my dad has gotten into the annoying habit of leaving the toilet seat up. I've been home for a few weeks. I should be used to it by now. But just now it slipped my mind. And... I fell in.

Venting about this here because I don't want to get into it with my dad. It would get me nowhere.

Some might say you are luvky he lifts the seat at all . . .

Tank

Sorry. I shouldn't laugh. Should I?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 04, 2018, 08:29:07 PM
Grrr, bloody Microshit does it again!

It was insistent that I download a major so-called upgrade. I did so, started about 7 last night, took two hourse to "prepare" my machine. This morning it wanted to do actual indtallation job, started that at about 11am, when I had to leave for an appointment, 2pm, it was still at 92% done - had to leave the laptop on unattended. Don't like doing that.

Switched it back on when I got home, entered my PIN . . .

"Personal Profile Service has failed . . ."

Tried my password - same result and the ever useful hint to go to the password change site (on a computer that you cannot even get started?) But I went there on my tablet and changed the password anyway - which proved the first password was still valid until then.

Then asked for help from my Linux using IT technician neighbour (he has to use Microsoft at work). Took us half an hour to find the appropriate page (where someone had figured the solution) and fix the problem.

The blurb for the upgrade said that my settings would not be changed and that reversing the upgrade was easy. Yeah, more Microshit shit...

Now I have to look for that path all over again and get familiar with it in case it crops up in my "Computer Buddy" mode!

PS

Here is a link to the site with the fix - just in case . . .

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-user-profile-service-failed-sign-solved

Link placed in "Tech help" thread as well.

Messing with the registry can have disastrous consequences. I am still on Win7 and have followed the Agilent guidelines to disable automatic updates, which can probably be done in 10 as well. It's also useful to have a boot CD in these cases. I use the Acronis boot CD, as well as their backup tool to create an image of my C: drive. That way you can revert to previously-working state within less that 15 minutes.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

^
I have dibbled in the registry in the past, but not in W10 and only with explicit instruction.

Whilst the thing was "updating" it would not accept anything from the DVD drive past simple files, now it is sorted I managed to effdct a "repair" using  the onstallation disc for the app in question - that now works OK.

Re blocking updates: used to do that on earlier versions but W10  had serious issues (not to mention a whole library of nag screens) with trying to do thst. I would go back to XP if I could. The old "industrial" NT (the core of all later versions) was the best - you could suffer a power failure half way through typing a letter and maybe only lose one word on power-back!

There is a restore function to undo last changes and, being a laptop, there is a back-up syxtem on the disc, not sure if you cab mske a rescue disc anymore.

Seems to be working now.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 07:12:11 AM
^
I have dibbled in the registry in the past, but not in W10 and only with explicit instruction.

Whilst the thing was "updating" it would not accept anything from the DVD drive past simple files, now it is sorted I managed to effdct a "repair" using  the onstallation disc for the app in question - that now works OK.

Re blocking updates: used to do that on earlier versions but W10  had serious issues (not to mention a whole library of nag screens) with trying to do thst. I would go back to XP if I could. The old "industrial" NT (the core of all later versions) was the best - you could suffer a power failure half way through typing a letter and maybe only lose one word on power-back!

There is a restore function to undo last changes and, being a laptop, there is a back-up syxtem on the disc, not sure if you cab mske a rescue disc anymore.

Seems to be working now.

Try to get hold of a copy of Acronis True Image, which is practically foolproof (even I can use it).
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I've procrastinated and now I can't find the time to finish what I need to finish. Why do I keep sabotaging myself? ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2018, 07:37:11 AM

Sorry. I shouldn't laugh. Should I?
:rofl:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 08, 2018, 10:21:26 PM
I've procrastinated and now I can't find the time to finish what I need to finish. Why do I keep sabotaging myself? ::)
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.