News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

New images of Titanic wreck revealed

Started by Amicale, April 02, 2012, 02:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-images-of-titanic-wreck-revealed

I thought this was pretty cool. Article's from March 30th, 2012.

"Sweeping images of the sunken ship were made by stitching together hundreds of optical and sonar images collected by deep-diving robots during a 2010 expedition".

:)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Jimmy

Pretty awesome!!

I read a book called Shadow Divers, which was about an American professional deep sea diving team that searched sunken ships for treasures and memorabilia and discovered a German U-Boat off the East Coast. They then tried to identify the crew that was onboard. It was really fascinating!!!

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Amicale

Quote from: Jimmy on April 02, 2012, 02:17:46 AM
Pretty awesome!!

I read a book called Shadow Divers, which was about an American professional deep sea diving team that searched sunken ships for treasures and memorabilia and discovered a German U-Boat off the East Coast. They then tried to identify the crew that was onboard. It was really fascinating!!!

Thank you, my friend! I looked it up, it seems to be by Robert Kurson. And better yet, there's a copy available at my library, and me & the kiddo are headed there tomorrow! Excellent. That's a read I'll enjoy very much!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Jimmy

Quote from: Amicale on April 02, 2012, 03:08:56 AM
Quote from: Jimmy on April 02, 2012, 02:17:46 AM
Pretty awesome!!

Thank you, my friend! I looked it up, it seems to be by Robert Kurson. And better yet, there's a copy available at my library, and me & the kiddo are headed there tomorrow! Excellent. That's a read I'll enjoy very much!

Your welcome!  :) I hope you enjoy it!!
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Guardian85

That is more then a little awesome. Thanks for sharing.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

I'd heard about these pictures but not seen them. Thanks for posting the link.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

John_5.0

Wow fantastic link Amicale! Thank you very much for sharing! Its amazing what we can do now a days!

ThinkAnarchy

That is really cool. I didn't realize they sunk an actual ship when making the movie.  ::) That smiley means I'm not that stupid, just to clarify.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 04, 2012, 01:25:29 AM
That is really cool. I didn't realize they sunk an actual ship when making the movie.  ::) That smiley means I'm not that stupid, just to clarify.

Glad everyone's liking the pics, I was so happy to stumble across that, I think it's so cool what they managed to do!

LOL, true story: when the movie Titanic came out in 1997, I went to go see it in theatres. I got to school the next day, and a classmate told me "I haven't seen it yet, don't tell me what happens!" and very sarcastically, I responded with "the ship SINKS..." and she says "why did you ruin it?!?"  :D

Facepalm didn't exist back then, but I did one anyway!

Guardian85

Quote from: Amicale on April 04, 2012, 04:21:44 AM
LOL, true story: when the movie Titanic came out in 1997, I went to go see it in theatres. I got to school the next day, and a classmate told me "I haven't seen it yet, don't tell me what happens!" and very sarcastically, I responded with "the ship SINKS..." and she says "why did you ruin it?!?"  :D

Facepalm didn't exist back then, but I did one anyway!
Almost as bad as my date who would have liked "Pearl Harbour" more if there were less fighting and explosions....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-