News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Questions for Christians

Started by MikeyV, July 13, 2006, 06:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyV

Although this thread is for everyone, I'm really interested in the christian take on these questions. If you have other good questions you'd like answered, please post them.

Introduction: I was a serious student of the bible. I have a minor in theology from Wayland Baptist University. I really did study this book quite hard. I will post my story in Mommasquid's thread a little later.

One thing I've found maddening is the sheer impossibility of debating scripture with a christian. The stock answers to any errors you find in scripture run along the lines of:

• "My sect doesn't believe that!"
  • "That's allegory!"
  • "Since you are an atheist, you cannot be infused with the Holy Spirit, therefore, you can never understand it!"
  • "You aren't putting it in context of the time that it was written!"
  • "Unless you are fluent in biblical Hebrew and Koine Greek, you can't say for certain that that is what it REALLY says!"
  • etc...ad infinitum...ad nauseam

So, I have decided to look at their morality instead. On to the questions.

• Say you have two sons, one is a fantastic farmer, and the other is a great shepherd. Both of your sons love you very much, and give you the fruits of their labor. The farmer brings to you the best that his fields have to offer, while the other son brings you the best sheep from his herd. Do you:

• Thank both of your sons for their wonderful gifts, and let them know how proud you are of them.
    • Tell the shepherd that his gift just isn't good enough.
    • Tell the farmer that his gift just isn't good enough.
  • Say a guest comes to your house for dinner. Suddenly, there is a knock on the front door. Opening the door, you find an angry mob demanding that you give them your guest for sexual pleasure. Do you:

• Find a weapon and declare "Over my dead body"!
    • Turn the guest over to the mob.
    • Turn your young daughter over to the mob who will brutalize her to death.
  • Say your child has commited some infraction against you. Do you:

• Punish the child for the infraction and go about your life.
    • Punish your child and your immediate family.
    • Punish the child and any children he has for seven generations.
  • Say you have a very good friend that has been in a pretty bad car accident. He is a paraplegic, and has to move about in a wheelchair. One day, he comes to your house. Do you:

• Let him in to talk about old times.
    • Tell him you have to run an errand even though you do not.
    • Tell him now that he's handicapped, he is no longer welcome in your home.
  • Say you are walking along one day, and a group of children start calling you names. Do you:

• Ignore them, they are only chidren after all.
    • Shout names back, and threaten to tell their mothers
    • Pray to your god to hurt them, which he promptly does.

I'm pretty sure I know how the atheists will answer these. That's all for now, I will come up with some more later.

P.S. Sorry for the length!  :P
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Jassman

MikeyV, excellent post. I have a feeling this thread will be pretty important when we have a few more Christians posting here.

It's fun figuring out the parallels between those and the events in the bible.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Court

Fabulous post, MikeyV :D
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

MommaSquid

There's something vaguely familiar about all of this.  Hmmm.....

(insert conspiratorial wink here)

MikeyV

Quote from: "MommaSquid"There's something vaguely familiar about all of this.  Hmmm.....

(insert conspiratorial wink here)

Really? I mean I know it's not a new idea, but I didn't plagarize. I made those questions up on the spot, but I suppose I may have heard variations of them before, but I don't THINK I did. Sometimes, it's hard for me to seperate other people's thoughts that I have read from my own. I thought I was being fairly original  :cry:

If you know where these were posted before, could you give me a link, Momma? Was it WWGHA, or the SAB?
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

MommaSquid

I think you misunderstood my meaning.  Your questions are modernizations of biblical stories.  They are quite good, and I'm sorry if I scared you.

Jassman

Quote from: "MommaSquid"I think you misunderstood my meaning.  Your questions are modernizations of biblical stories.  They are quite good, and I'm sorry if I scared you.

Haha and you probably had him frantically searching the net to see if he ripped anything off...
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

MommaSquid

I pity the christian who tries to follow this thread.  Maybe laetus should delete our crap and let the questions stand alone.

MikeyV

LOL...I was doing google searches with my text ;) I get what you mean now, MommaSquid. Thanks for clarifying!
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.