News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

About Me

Started by 100Facts, May 24, 2012, 09:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

100Facts

So without revealing too much information about myself...

I'm an atheist. Probably have been ever since a Bible-thumper friend of my mother's stormed into my bedroom while I was about 10 years old and still sleeping. She ripped the covers off me and started to chastise me (loudly) about sleeping in on a Sunday. If religion meant interrupting a good solid sleep, I wanted nothing to do with it.

As I got older, the things they talked about in Sunday school didn't make any sense. Although I distinctly remember the Lord's Prayer being recited in grade school. By high school, religion fell completely by the way side. It wasn't until I looked around, a decade later, that I began to see the negative effects religion has on the world. And I've decided to put an end to it. ;-)

Recusant

Hello, 100Facts. I think that an effort to end religion per se is unlikely to meet with success, but one can't fault you for lack of ambition.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

ThinkAnarchy

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Welcome! Blood offerings to The Asmo are made on The Gray Altar to your right, gifts of hats to The Pudding go to your left. Other prominent features are... Somewhere.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: 100Facts on May 24, 2012, 09:17:22 PM
And I've decided to put an end to it. ;-)

Take the book "Easy way to stop smoking" and replace cigarettes with religion then give it as homework to every school child in the world and we would be half way there.
Retired member.

Stevil

Quote from: Crow on May 24, 2012, 10:56:30 PM

Take the book "Easy way to stop smoking" and replace cigarettes with religion then give it as homework to every school child in the world and we would be half way there.
Surely simply teaching the kiddies all the religions will turn them off them all.
Well, the Christians believe in JC because in their book he has magical powers, can walk on water and can turn water into wine. Moses could only part water. Jesus died came back and then disappeared shortly after, kind of like Sean Connery's character in Highlander II.
The Muslims believe in Mohammed who recited their book. Mohammed married a nine year old girl and she joined many other women as one of his wives. He said that good men will get 72 virgins when they go to heaven. Mohammed rode a winged horse up to heaven and was never seen again.
The Maori people believe in Maui (they didn't have books but recited the stories by mouth). Maui used his grandmother's jawbone as a fish hook. He caught the land beneath the sea and pulled it up to the surface, this land became New Zealand or Aotearoa depending on who you talk to.

rainbowcat212

Hello and Welcome!! Not sure that we can end all religions, but I guess that it's a goal.
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: 100Facts on May 24, 2012, 09:17:22 PMI've decided to put an end to it. ;-)

I've been working on it for a while, at times I've thought I had it but so far subjects of my gene therapy have all displayed unacceptable side effects.   It's surprisingly easy to suppress the attraction to religious fantasy but subjects have all lost something else, an appreciation for Star Trek, raspberry jam, music or banana sandwiches.  It is so very frustrating.  :(

Tank

Hello 100facts

I think Institutionalised Superstitions (aka Religions) are going to be around for a while yet, possibly forever or until we meet ET and he laughs at our mythology!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on May 24, 2012, 11:15:14 PM

Surely simply teaching the kiddies all the religions will turn them off them all.
Well, the Christians believe in JC because in their book he has magical powers, can walk on water and can turn water into wine. Moses could only part water. Jesus died came back and then disappeared shortly after, kind of like Sean Connery's character in Highlander II.
The Muslims believe in Mohammed who recited their book. Mohammed married a nine year old girl and she joined many other women as one of his wives. He said that good men will get 72 virgins when they go to heaven. Mohammed rode a winged horse up to heaven and was never seen again.
The Maori people believe in Maui (they didn't have books but recited the stories by mouth). Maui used his grandmother's jawbone as a fish hook. He caught the land beneath the sea and pulled it up to the surface, this land became New Zealand or Aotearoa depending on who you talk to.

I love your posts so much. :)

Welcome, 100facts. I hope you stick around. We are pretty cool folks.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 25, 2012, 09:06:44 PM

Thank you Sweetdeath

Always wondered if anyone reads what I write.
I do try to make them entertaining, but I have been told I have a dry sense of humor.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on May 25, 2012, 11:19:04 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 25, 2012, 09:06:44 PM

Thank you Sweetdeath

Always wondered if anyone reads what I write.
I do try to make them entertaining, but I have been told I have a dry sense of humor.

You can add me to your fan list. Your contributions are always lucid and intelligent, with a welcome leavening of wit.

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

I've just notied something...

...And I don't mean to be mean or anything, but eh...

...The OP's name is NOT 100Farts.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Stevil on May 24, 2012, 11:15:14 PM

If everyone was critical thinking then yes but sadly they are not. The only thing that properly breaks hypnosis is better hypnosis, I have been reading quite a bit into the subject since reading the aforementioned book due to its efficiency, whilst looking at traditional hypnosis through literature the first thing that kept coming to mind was the Bible and the Koran. As the two are highly efficient with certain people, and abysmal with others, the traditional method of hypnosis is notorious for not working with people that are critical thinking. So have began to wonder is there a correlation.
Retired member.