News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: My Wife W/ Breast Cancer Fired for Being Atheist

Started by karadan, May 06, 2009, 08:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlP

You could try the American Humanist Association for help. They have attorneys. They defend secularism.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

I posted your story on twitter and in the message boards of the meetups I organize.  If nothing else, maybe we can put that doctor out of practice due to people seeing his true colors.

Wigglez

CBS 11 interviewed us today. They only had time for a two minute segment but are waiting to see how things go with the Employment Commission who is going to do a full investigation into the claim that Amanda was fired for being an Atheist.

http://cbs11tv.com/religion/Atheist.Claims.Discrimination.2.1015271.html

They did a lot of interviewing us and whatnot but told us about the time restraints. I think it came off very fair and balanced to both our side and the doctors side.

Since it aired a few minutes ago, we have got calls from several other media outlets wanting to do further investigations. Shits pretty cool.

And apparently the camera adds a couple.... hundred pounds. I was not looking lean. Time to put the cookie down I guess.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Wigglez"CBS 11 interviewed us today. They only had time for a two minute segment but are waiting to see how things go with the Employment Commission who is going to do a full investigation into the claim that Amanda was fired for being an Atheist.

http://cbs11tv.com/religion/Atheist.Claims.Discrimination.2.1015271.html
:banna:
-Curio

Whitney

I'm glad this is finally getting the kind of coverage it deserves and hope the Employment Commission is able to do something about that doctor.

karadan

Well done. I'm glad your voices are being heard. It's such an awful situation.

Good luck with everything.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

SektionTen

I'd love to see that video, but I'm on dial-up...  :(
I'm glad that you're doing something about this. That doctor deserves what he gets. It would be even more satisfying if he prays for god to deliever him from these "godless heathens" and ends up getting slammed by the judge. XD

Kylyssa

What I've heard about at-will employment is that they can fire you at any time and there doesn't need to be a reason.  However, most employers don't give a reason because some reasons (including religious discrimination) are actionable.  Just to be safe, a place I worked at canned a girl we had on video stealing from our cash register without telling her why she was fired.

About ten years ago a co-worker of mine was fired two days after being outed as an atheist, supposedly for "being late three or more times."  They shouldn't have bothered giving a reason because it was pretty fishy that they were firing her for being late too many times when the last time she'd been late was over a year before.

But regarding this situation, anyone who could fire someone that coldly just after cancer surgery doesn't deserve membership in the human race.

SektionTen

Ah! Kylyssa! Reading your posts is a pleasure.  :lol: