News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Out of the closet

Started by Amalthea, December 27, 2011, 07:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Welcome Amalthea, I'm also a new user. Speaking from personal experience, it was a breath of fresh air when I moved away from my hometown. Hopefully the same will hold true for you.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Cerulean

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 27, 2011, 09:38:00 PM
Of course, the problem she and the rest of us have, is that the crowd is primarily populated by superstitious, magical thinking believers in the all-powerful, cosmic wonder twins, God and Jesus, who are, apparantly, the same person. 

I sooo love it here.   :-*

Tank

Quote from: Cerulean on January 02, 2012, 01:47:46 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 27, 2011, 09:38:00 PM
Of course, the problem she and the rest of us have, is that the crowd is primarily populated by superstitious, magical thinking believers in the all-powerful, cosmic wonder twins, God and Jesus, who are, apparantly, the same person. 

I sooo love it here.   :-*
That's good to hear  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Jeebus, just call me fashionably late but welcome to the forum!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Hi Amalthea!  And welcome.  I am new here too.  I just have to say, I wish that I had already embraced my identity as an atheist when I was 18.  I think that's great.  Anyway, welcome, and I am looking forward to having some great secular convos with you too!

Cerulean

Quote from: Ali on January 03, 2012, 04:14:25 AM
I just have to say, I wish that I had already embraced my identity as an atheist when I was 18.  I think that's great. 

Me too! I always considered myself Nothing. But hey hey, I'm an Atheist! And that is Something.  ;)

Drake23

I am new too! Thought I'd congratulate and encourage some! I was an atheist coming out of high school but didn't actually 'come out' until my Junior year of college! I have always been told that Christians are good and atheists have always had a negative stigma attached to them. People need to come out and show that being an atheist does not mean you are a bad person or do not have moral values! We need to represent ourselves in a more positive light and remove stereotypes!
Great job!
Thanks for posting!
Have a great day!
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
-John Wooden

fishtumor

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Amalthea on December 27, 2011, 07:42:46 PM
Hi everyone!
Here to introduce myself, and a couple of reasons why I decided to join. I am 18, and currently finishing up my senior year of high school. Reflecting upon the last four years, I realize that my status of "closet atheist" must change, and so I hope interacting with other atheists will encourage me to become a little more confident. I've always been an extremely quiet and nice girl, somewhat at odds with the brashly outspoken athiests in my community. I live in a very conservative and evangelical section of California, so I've been pretty much starved for secular discussion, or any discussion for that matter. Anyway, I look forward to participating on this forum  :)
Welcome! They have conservative parts of California?? I had no idea!!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

texasatheist

Hi Amalthea welcome to the forums, new here myself but I can say as a more recent deconverted xtian my life is now really starting to take off.  Atheist discussions on forums and discussions with others to help me really start thinking critically and skeptically on many more topics.  Getting rid of god was the first step.  I'm envious that you were able to be free from religious constraint, I didn't have that opportunity quite as clearly defined.  Those still stuck in the "matrix" as someone mentioned earlier in the thread don't really know that they are stuck there.  When you are raised that way, there is a general inability to differentiate properly, it takes time and patience.  It wasn't just one thing that sparked my thinking but several comments throughout my life to build the questioning of the bible and religion that spurred me to life without god.

Welcome again.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 30, 2012, 06:18:29 PM

I would cry if I weren't so busy laughing.  Check out Orange County some time, it's neo-Nazi central.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 30, 2012, 08:02:47 PM

I would cry if I weren't so busy laughing.  Check out Orange County some time, it's neo-Nazi central.

I could never check out Orange county because of that horrible movie with Jack Black.  I am really surprised though.  California seems to be one of the most liberal states in the nation.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 30, 2012, 08:53:03 PM

I could never check out Orange county because of that horrible movie with Jack Black.  I am really surprised though.  California seems to be one of the most liberal states in the nation.

Yeah, everybody thinks that and, while there are liberal spots, for the most part CA is a conservative state. 
Sandy

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 01, 2012, 01:03:22 AM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 30, 2012, 08:53:03 PM

Yeah, everybody thinks that and, while there are liberal spots, for the most part CA is a conservative state. 
Yeah I wondered about that.  I mean they actually voted in that goofy ass Arnold for governor.  Didn't he sign a bill to decriminalize marijuana then vote against it? I heard something about that like 2 years ago.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 01, 2012, 03:42:15 PM
Didn't he sign a bill to decriminalize marijuana then vote against it? I heard something about that like 2 years ago.

I think that's what they call playing both ends against the middle.  Too bad so many of us are in the middle.
Sandy