News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What Good Is Science?

Started by Arturo, May 28, 2017, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I hear this question asked alot online. I don't always have a good answer so let's try to come up with ideas. Besides the obvious ones, what good does science do?

It impeoves our quality of life and some discoveries or newly developed methods in one field can be helpful to another field.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

Science make explainable the unexplainable.

Arturo

Quote from: No one on May 28, 2017, 10:00:01 PM
Science make explainable the unexplainable.

I guess that could be useful...
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

This is one of those questions that I hate, really hate!

Mainly because the answer seems so obvious in my mind yet I cannot construct an answer for it that convinces even myself! Without science I and millions of others would be dead. Science designed the drugs I take and the very complex electronics package thst keeps me alive. At a lower level simple re--hydration medicines keep thousands of cholera victims alive.

But, for the ultimate health of the whole planet is keeping all those millions, and the likes of myself, alive a good thing? We are already in the state of frantically inventing new things to undo the damage done by most of the previous inventions.

Yet, my brain lights up with almost every new scientific discovery, every new technology. I cannot help but look forwards - despite my advanced age and decreasing health - because I share that genetic trait with so many others. If I had to live in a bender in a forest and hunt or scavenge for my food I would spend all my free time designing a better dwelling, a better trap, more protective protection . . .

That is what humans do, might as well ask, "What good is sex?" Even animals have to learn, test and develop, beyond mere instinct, to survive and flourish.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

I have the same problem as you G. I think a good rationalization for that might be that it improves our quality of life and moves us further and further away from barbarianism. It's a slow process, but it's worth every step.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

What good is a tool?

Humans have been inventing and innovating their tools since the before Homo sapiens walked the Earth, and thanks to science humans have left their footprints beyond out planet as well. From improving hunting tools that allowed early modern humans to hunt with higher rates of success and divert more biological resources to reproduction to the advent of mathematics, the scientific method is another jewel in the crown of human achievement that allows us to find answers to questions on the nature of reality.

And why, you might ask, seek answers to questions on the nature of reality? Because we can.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 28, 2017, 10:18:33 PM
This is one of those questions that I hate, really hate!

Mainly because the answer seems so obvious in my mind yet I cannot construct an answer for it that convinces even myself! Without science I and millions of others would be dead. Science designed the drugs I take and the very complex electronics package thst keeps me alive. At a lower level simple re--hydration medicines keep thousands of cholera victims alive.

But, for the ultimate health of the whole planet is keeping all those millions, and the likes of myself, alive a good thing? We are already in the state of frantically inventing new things to undo the damage done by most of the previous inventions.

Yet, my brain lights up with almost every new scientific discovery, every new technology. I cannot help but look forwards - despite my advanced age and decreasing health - because I share that genetic trait with so many others. If I had to live in a bender in a forest and hunt or scavenge for my food I would spend all my free time designing a better dwelling, a better trap, more protective protection . . .

That is what humans do, might as well ask, "What good is sex?" Even animals have to learn, test and develop, beyond mere instinct, to survive and flourish.

I think the main problem is that our biology is still primitive, we are an immature species. 

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2017, 01:45:26 AM
What good is a tool?

Humans have been inventing and innovating their tools since the before Homo sapiens walked the Earth, and thanks to science humans have left their footprints beyond out planet as well. From improving hunting tools that allowed early modern humans to hunt with higher rates of success and divert more biological resources to reproduction to the advent of mathematics, the scientific method is another jewel in the crown of human achievement that allows us to find answers to questions on the nature of reality.

And why, you might ask, seek answers to questions on the nature of reality? Because we can.

For the people I think of, that answer wouldn't satisfy them. Of course Athiests, would love it. I don't think they like the intrinsic value of science or see it as worthless when they ask the question. I think they are looking for more instrumental value. The statement that it's a tool is a good one in this regard and, in another way, it furthers our understanding is also a good merit.

So I know I'm being selfish here, but the only thing that bothers me about your response is that some people fear knowledge, so this would fall short of bringing them to our side. These people ask the question is it better to know or to not know, and they answer it with to not know. And that scares me that people don't want to be informed and spread that idea around like a cancer.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Perhaps there is something of the "stronger" of the interpretations of Protogoras' "Man is the measure if all things..."  "If it is good for Mankind it is good!" when, in fact, it is ultimately bad when it is bad for the planet and will eventually bite our collective ass. And, so often, "If it is good for making a profit it is good," seems to be a sub text.

And I agree with you, xSP, that we seem to be an immature race, I have long mentally compared our status with that of a teenager going thtough the changes in the brain structure and hormones - often  selfish, intensely introspective and usually irrational. Just look at many of the world's leaders.

But, yes, we have evolved an intense curiosity that cannot be denied. Perhaps this is the ultimate reason why most utopian ideas fail, there will always be those who ask, "Why?"

Science can definitely be a two edged wespon as well as a tool. Perhaps we will find a balance before we wipe ourselves out.

Tank

If a person can't appreciate the benefits of science they don't have the intellect to appreciate any explanation you could provide them with. Never forget half the people on Earth have a below average IQ. Some ideas can simply not be dumbed down enough for the whole population to appreciate, let alone understand. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Tank:
Never forget half the people on Earth have a below average IQ.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on May 29, 2017, 03:11:14 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2017, 01:45:26 AM
What good is a tool?

For the people I think of, that answer wouldn't satisfy them. Of course Athiests, would love it. I don't think they like the intrinsic value of science or see it as worthless when they ask the question. I think they are looking for more instrumental value. The statement that it's a tool is a good one in this regard and, in another way, it furthers our understanding is also a good merit.

So I know I'm being selfish here, but the only thing that bothers me about your response is that some people fear knowledge, so this would fall short of bringing them to our side. These people ask the question is it better to know or to not know, and they answer it with to not know. And that scares me that people don't want to be informed and spread that idea around like a cancer.

The problem with science these days is that it alienates the general population. Scientists are high up in their Ivory Towers and most others are way down below. Most are scientifically illiterate and don't care, and a portion among those actively oppose science such as in the case of creationists and anti-vaxxers. I don't know what kind of answer would bring such people to our side and see that science isn't just useful in today's world -- it's essential.

You could bring money into the discussion. Why should a government invest in science and innovation in the first place?  Besides the pitfalls of being left behind in a global economy such as having to pay other countries to use their technology and losing market share, science might offer solutions to problems which could be turned into economic gain.   

Any economists here?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 29, 2017, 07:56:19 AM
And I agree with you, xSP, that we seem to be an immature race, I have long mentally compared our status with that of a teenager going thtough the changes in the brain structure and hormones - often  selfish, intensely introspective and usually irrational. Just look at many of the world's leaders.

:smilenod: Problem with the teenager analogy:

I realise that it might have sounded as if I'm saying that humankind is going through some sort of progression towards a more evolved end, but just to make it clear, evolution doesn't work that way. Among current lifeforms living on this planet today there isn't one that's "more evolved" than the other, you might see it in terms of complexity, but evolution sometimes goes what seems to be backwards and a species becomes more simple as it changes through time.   

What I meant with my statement of humans being an immature species is that our biology is still basically the same as it was thousands of years ago, people still have the same drives even though our knowledge of the universe has expanded exponentially. We didn't evolve to be responsible for the planet and the fate of other species, it's all about the here and now, what each of us will get in our lifetimes and not so much about the next generations. Future generations will most likely not thank us for leaving them the planet in its ever-worsening state...

Dave

^^ xSP
I think this is a place where things like "Soapbox Science" and "Pint of Science" can come in. Also the media tend to follow fashion, though in the UK "Robots Wars" and a programme, who's name escapes me, where scientists had to complete a project from "junk" on an island were both very popular. As was "The Great Egg Race" and its later variants.

"Robot Wars" was not strictly science but, like "Junkyard Challenge" and its variants, pushed engineering, a close cousin to science and to which science is an essential adjunct. RW and others also got schoolkids involved - I would help sponsor my local school if they had an entry in such a project. I have already made a donation towards science equipment to it.

Is it that the great unwashed have lost interest in what drives all their vehicles, entertainment, games, food processors et bloody cetera!? But then, why are sci-fi films consistently top billers, in the news, make lots of money? Has "ordinary science" been made to seem boring by special (science generated) effects? Boring unless you already have enough of a background to pick up the essentials.

There is a lot of science on Youtube. I do notice that America has the market for "maker" projects, we have little like that in the UK, it is not easy to get hold of the equipment and materials that seem available in the USA.Though Russia is catching up in some things.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 29, 2017, 09:28:38 PM
^^ xSP
I think this is a place where things like "Soapbox Science" and "Pint of Science" can come in. Also the media tend to follow fashion, though in the UK "Robots Wars" and a programme, who's name escapes me, where scientists had to complete a project from "junk" on an island were both very popular. As was "The Great Egg Race" and its later variants.

"Robot Wars" was not strictly science but, like "Junkyard Challenge" and its variants, pushed engineering, a close cousin to science and to which science is an essential adjunct. RW and others also got schoolkids involved - I would help sponsor my local school if they had an entry in such a project. I have already made a donation towards science equipment to it.

Is it that the great unwashed have lost interest in what drives all their vehicles, entertainment, games, food processors et bloody cetera!? But then, why are sci-fi films consistently top billers, in the news, make lots of money? Has "ordinary science" been made to seem boring by special (science generated) effects? Boring unless you already have enough of a background to pick up the essentials.

There is a lot of science on Youtube. I do notice that America has the market for "maker" projects, we have little like that in the UK, it is not easy to get hold of the equipment and materials that seem available in the USA.Though Russia is catching up in some things.

Yes, there is still hope as a lot of people are voracious consumers of scientific related material, but maybe it's just that...others think that science is just another boring school subject and have no interest in learning more about it. How can such people make informed decisions regarding policies? Imagine such a person in the position of policymaker?  ::)  You don't have to try too hard to imagine who I'm thinking about...

Not to turn this into a political discussion though, back to popularisation of science for the general population.

My favourite youtube science channel is Vsauce, check them out if you haven't already. :grin: