News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Santorum is out.

Started by Buddy, April 11, 2012, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17671077

QuoteThe former Pennsylvania senator made the announcement at a news conference in the city of Gettysburg.

"While this presidential race is over for me, we are not done fighting," said Mr Santorum, a social conservative.

He had been campaigning in Pennsylvania, his home state, ahead of its primary on 24 April.

But he was far behind Mr Romney in terms of funding and was in danger of losing the state for the second time in six years, analysts said.

In 2006 Mr Santorum lost his Pennsylvania Senate seat by an 18-point margin.

In the current race for the Republican nomination, Mr Santorum lags far behind Mr Romney in terms of the number of delegates needed to seal the nomination at the Republican convention in Tampa, Florida, in late August.

Thank goodness.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

That's great, and I don't even live in America!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Invictus

Oh, I don't know.  As someone on the other side of the political spectrum, there was something perversely gratifying watching Romney and Santorum (and Gingrich and Paul) slugging it out and exposing at least a few of the weaknesses in the Republican candidates' positions. 

However, we weren't learning much.  So if the real campaign can now get started and bring on the great debate over the details and implications of the Democratic and Republican views on the various issues of importance, then I'm all for that.   But whether we'll get that or just more of the meaningless generalities and SuperPAC money distortions and misinformation remains to be seen.

Invictus

McQ

On the plus side, I'm glad he's out because he would not have been a good president. The downside is that at least part of it is due to his daughter's severe disabilities and her illness. I don't wish that on anyone.

However, if family is truly important to him, then he needed to drop out of the race in order to focus his attention on her and the rest of his family.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Ali

*Snerk*

Romney's like the last available dude at the bar before last call.  Republicans aren't really into him, but they don't want to go home alone....

Amicale

Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 05:18:58 PM
On the plus side, I'm glad he's out because he would not have been a good president. The downside is that at least part of it is due to his daughter's severe disabilities and her illness. I don't wish that on anyone.

However, if family is truly important to him, then he needed to drop out of the race in order to focus his attention on her and the rest of his family.

This. I'm glad he's out of the race because I shudder to think what his policies would have been like as a president, but I do truly hope that his family holds it together through the rough time his daughter's having, and I think it's for the best that he spend his efforts and energy on his family.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 05:33:41 PM
*Snerk*

Romney's like the last available dude at the bar before last call.  Republicans aren't really into him, but they don't want to go home alone....

LOL! Yeah, see, that's the situation where I'd just go home with the barmaid, and leave Romney sitting alone crying into his beer...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

ThinkAnarchy

Yeah, now if only everyone else would drop out or die in a plane crash it could be Dr. Paul vs. Obama.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Buddy

Who all is still in the race other than Obama and Paul?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

ThinkAnarchy

Mitt Romney, Gingrich, and Paul are still in I think. I'm not positive about Gingrich though, he may have dropped out already, I haven't been following to closely.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

ThinkAnarchy

Last I checked, it looked like Romney is in the lead for the nomination, but Dr. Paul is planning to steal delegates at the convention. His plan is to get is young supporters at the convention, who are more enthusiastic than the old republicans for the other two candidates. Most leave before the voting is even completed from what I read somewhere.

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 11, 2012, 06:26:35 PM
Mitt Romney, Gingrich, and Paul are still in I think. I'm not positive about Gingrich though, he may have dropped out already, I haven't been following to closely.

Gingrich is still in, but not for too long, I don't think. He just had an embarassing moment where a cheque was written for $500 that bounced.  :P

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 06:33:33 PM

Gingrich is still in, but not for too long, I don't think. He just had an embarassing moment where a cheque was written for $500 that bounced.  :P

Was it a personal check or campaign check? I imagine personal, but either way that is embarrassing.

fester30

Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 05:33:41 PM
*Snerk*

I college my love life depended upon me being that guy.

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 11, 2012, 06:37:27 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 06:33:33 PM

Was it a personal check or campaign check? I imagine personal, but either way that is embarrassing.

Seems to be campaign, actually! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17680254

QuoteA $500 (£314) cheque issued by the cash-strapped campaign of Republican candidate Newt Gingrich bounced, it has emerged.

Election officials in Utah told US media they contacted the Gingrich campaign over the unpaid filing fee for the state's primary in June.