News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What is your definition of "Militant Atheist"

Started by Gawen, August 10, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Well, in the strictest sense a militant atheist would most likely be an atheist that uses violence in the name of or for atheism. But I don't know an atheist that does this, nor have I heard of an atheist do such a thing.

Yet, some atheists have been labeled militant by theists. So I THINK the definition theists go by that call atheists militant is:
A label to describe "does not agree with me and refuses to take my BS as an answer"

What do you think?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

xSilverPhinx

Militant having to use violence? ??? For me people like Dawkins and Hitchens would be militant, or in other words, just very outspoken.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

A militant atheist is one who raises the subject of theism before the theist.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Gawen on August 10, 2011, 06:24:17 PM
Well, in the strictest sense a militant atheist would most likely be an atheist that uses violence in the name of or for atheism. But I don't know an atheist that does this, nor have I heard of an atheist do such a thing.

Yet, some atheists have been labeled militant by theists. So I THINK the definition theists go by that call atheists militant is:
A label to describe "does not agree with me and refuses to take my BS as an answer"

What do you think?

Anyone who hates, dislikes, makes fun of, belittles, deems stupid because of...any of their fellow humans.  In a sense I am guilty of being a militant Christian as I too like the jokes and what not directed at the militant Atheist.

(btw...am I allowed in this section of the forum?)  ;)

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 10, 2011, 07:03:20 PM
Quote from: Gawen on August 10, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

What do you think?

Anyone who hates, dislikes, makes fun of, belittles, deems stupid because of...any of their fellow humans.  In a sense I am guilty of being a militant Christian as I too like the jokes and what not directed at the militant Atheist.

(btw...am I allowed in this section of the forum?)  ;)
No  ;)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

I always describe myself thus.  I mean simply that I feel strongly that it's not enough to disbelieve; one should try to oppose religion actively.  Not by physical means - it's the faith-heads who kill people - but intellectually.
In practice, all a doddering old man like me can do is to show a lot of public disrespect for it and so help in a minor way to change the Zeitgeist.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on August 10, 2011, 07:10:40 PM
I always describe myself thus.  I mean simply that I feel strongly that it's not enough to disbelieve; one should try to oppose religion actively.  Not by physical means - it's the faith-heads who kill people - but intellectually.
In practice, all a doddering old man like me can do is to show a lot of public disrespect for it and so help in a minor way to change the Zeitgeist.

Me too, though I'm mostly an accomodationist. I sometimes think I should be more militant though. ;D

Gawen

Ok. I see my fault here. Militant isn't just violent (but I DID qualify the above as in the "strictest sense"....but can be aggressive. But I cannot see being "outspoken" as militant.

My definition of "militant" is: engaged in warfare or combat : fighting, aggressively active (as in a cause) and comes with these synonyms: aggressive, agonistic, argumentative, assaultive, bellicose, brawly, chippy, combative, confrontational, contentious, discordant, disputatious, feisty, gladiatorial, belligerent, pugnacious, quarrelsome, scrappy, truculent, warlike.

Whereas "outspoken" comes with these synonyms: candid, direct, forthcoming, forthright, foursquare, freehearted, free-spoken, honest, open, openhearted, out-front, frank, plain, plainspoken, straight, straightforward, unguarded, unreserved, up-front.

So, speaking only for myself, I see myself as an outspoken atheist until I must become the underlined synonyms above...I think.

Although I haven't read all their works, I don't think Sagan, Dawkins, Harris and the like are militant in any way. Now Hitchens, yes. And I do identify with Hitchens more than any other writers.

Jeeez....sometimes I really don't know what think of myself....*grinnin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on August 10, 2011, 07:09:46 PMNo  ;)

D'oh.  Damn.  I thought it would be a good place to start an indoctrination thread.  Oh well.

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gawen on August 10, 2011, 08:06:52 PM
Ok. I see my fault here. Militant isn't just violent (but I DID qualify the above as in the "strictest sense"....but can be aggressive. But I cannot see being "outspoken" as militant.

My definition of "militant" is: engaged in warfare or combat : fighting, aggressively active (as in a cause) and comes with these synonyms: aggressive, agonistic, argumentative, assaultive, bellicose, brawly, chippy, combative, confrontational, contentious, discordant, disputatious, feisty, gladiatorial, belligerent, pugnacious, quarrelsome, scrappy, truculent, warlike.

Whereas "outspoken" comes with these synonyms: candid, direct, forthcoming, forthright, foursquare, freehearted, free-spoken, honest, open, openhearted, out-front, frank, plain, plainspoken, straight, straightforward, unguarded, unreserved, up-front.

So, speaking only for myself, I see myself as an outspoken atheist until I must become the underlined synonyms above...I think.

Although I haven't read all their works, I don't think Sagan, Dawkins, Harris and the like are militant in any way. Now Hitchens, yes. And I do identify with Hitchens more than any other writers.

Jeeez....sometimes I really don't know what think of myself....*grinnin*

LOL make up your mind :P

Going by what the freedictionary says, militant is used for non violent (in the belligerent sense) too:

Quotemil·i·tant  (ml-tnt)
adj.
1. Fighting or warring.
2. Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.
n.
A fighting, warring, or aggressive person or party.

militant [ˈmɪlɪtənt]
adj
1. aggressive or vigorous, esp in the support of a cause a militant protest
2. warring; engaged in warfare

Though I certainly wouldn't call Dawkins violent, the New Atheist movement is aggressive. I wouldn't classify Sagan as a militant however. If I do recall, he didn't even like to use the word 'atheist' to describe himself, prefering instead 'agnostic' with the same justifications that agnostics who don't believe in god have today.

Awolf26

As, I mentioned on a previous thread:

Not a fan of the term "militant" atheist.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201102/the-myth-militant-atheism

"How can you be a militant atheist? It's like sleeping furiously" -- AC Grayling

I am, indeed, an outspoken and passionate atheist.

However, I do think Tank was onto something when he said the "brings up religion before a theist" point. I do not do that. At the same time, if someone were to say god bless you, in response to someone helping them out, I doubt you'd call them a militant theist. I also don't think Dawkins and the like are "militant" or any other negative connotation that flows with it (maybe Hitchens). I was actually quite shocked at how little The God Delusion demeaned or attacked religious individuals. I actually avoided it for a while because of what people had told me.   

Militant is rhetorical tool used to demonize movements. And it works.

Militant:
Feminists
LGBT Right Activists
etc.

Whitney

i think "militant atheist' is typically used in a context that means someone who is anti-theist and goes out of their way to start arguments with theists, has a goal of actively recruiting more atheists, is quick to assume all theists are harmful, and believes that the only way to stop religious influence on society is to stamp out all forms of theism.

Or in short...they are atheists with an abrasive anti-theist message.

I think there is a difference between what people consider miltiant atheist and just being an outspoken atheist....but I don't really care for the militant word either as it is bad for PR.

Gawen

Quote from: xSilverPhinx
LOL make up your mind :P
Ohhh...that's a lifelong work in progress...*chucklin*

Gawen

Quote from: Whitney

Or in short...they are atheists with an abrasive anti-theist message.

I think there is a difference between what people consider miltiant atheist and just being an outspoken atheist....but I don't really care for the militant word either as it is bad for PR.
Same here. "Militant" is just so negative....fierce sounding.