News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

All things gardening

Started by Tank, June 25, 2017, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 11, 2019, 01:53:30 AM
Me, with the brown thumb, decided to grows some tomatoes last early summer.  Seeds carefully planted and tended with great passion. Water, fertilizer, and TLC.  I opted to plant them in large pots inside my screened porch. There is ample sunshine in the afternoon to encourage the emerging plants.....WRONG !......

Summer came and went and the plants grew like Topsy under my careful care,  but no signs of blooms that would produce the promise of tomatoes.  Friend wife kept admonishing me that tomatoes need full sunshine to prosper.  No, I wanted to protect the lovely plants from intruders like squirrels or birds, so I kept them inside the screened but well sunshine blessed porch.

After a few months of of progress toward not the slightest hint of tomato production, I said to hell with it and put the miserably deficient plants outside in the back yard sun to perish without my tender loving care.  Well what the hell.  I ignored the damned plants and deprived them of attention when they began to make actual tomatoes.  Who knew that friend wife was right all along.  Tomatoes prosper only in full sun.

I know the feeling, Icarus. It's when I ignore the damn things they bloom and grow. That's why I like cacti and succulents, they don't really need much from me.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Feel the soil in the fern's pot. It should be damp to moist, not wet.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on January 11, 2019, 02:42:37 AM
Feel the soil in the fern's pot. It should be damp to moist, not wet.

Ok, it should be damp to moist, not flooded like there's no tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Icarus

^^ Are we still taking about tomato plants with the damp and moist bit?   

Please forgive the dirty old man comment.....

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 13, 2019, 01:54:13 AM
^^ Are we still taking about tomato plants with the damp and moist bit?   

Please forgive the dirty old man comment.....

Um...no.  ::)

xSilverPhinx

The ferns I mentioned before are looking much better these days -- they're greener and with more foliage. Some nutrients were added to the soil and they were placed in the front yard and under a tree so that they don't get much high sun.

I would play some classical music in the yard in hopes that they grow faster but I don't think the neighbours would appreciate that much.  ;D

jumbojak

This reminds me of The World's Fastest Indian and Burt Monroe peeing on his lemon tree. I don't know why, but that's the memory.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Here they are! :grin: Too bad I didn't snap a 'before' pic to compare...

(I've only just noticed, it seems an orchid photobombed this one).  ::)

Tank

That looks like it's thriving.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Tank

Well today in my garden:

Goldfinches
Dunnock
Sparrows
Starlings
Wood Pigeons
Magpie
Jackdaw
Blue tits
Great tits
Squirrels

Oh and dogs, but they don't really count
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Do you ever get any mammals? We get coons and possums which aren't too bad. Skunks bother me. They can stay away...

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 05, 2019, 09:31:12 PM
Do you ever get any mammals? We get coons and possums which aren't too bad. Skunks bother me. They can stay away...

Squirrels, hedgehogs, foxes, rats (not seen), mice, moles (not seen), shrews (not seen). There are also rabbits and deer in the area but hey don't get into this area.

Tank

Bluenose

Quote from: jumbojak on May 05, 2019, 09:31:12 PM

In my various gardens over the last few years I've had brush tail and ring tail possums, kangaroos, and once a koala.  Of course I've also had a great number of different reptiles, amphibians and birds, not to mention a plethora of insects, arachnids and other arthropods.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett