News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

I can't stand Trump or Christians. How do I get over this?

Started by MatureMcLeod, January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on February 23, 2017, 05:10:05 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2017, 04:26:47 AM
Why would he bring up the Nephilim story to justify "god's order" to murder babies?

Supposedly there were some Nephilim in Canaan.

QuoteBut the people who live there are powerful, and the cities are fortified and very large. We even saw descendants of Anak there. The Amalekites live in the Negev; the Hittites, Jebusites and Amorites live in the hill country; and the Canaanites live near the sea and along the Jordan."

Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."

But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are." And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

The thing is, according the the Bible the Nephilim existed in the pre-Deluge world. Therefore they should have all died when YHVH sent his Great Flood, along with every other damned human being on the planet except for Noah and his family. How Nephilim reappeared among the descendants of the righteous Noah is not explained in the Bible.

The focus on the Nephilim is a Protestant thing--the Catholic church doesn't give them a lot of attention, so it will be interesting to see what Dredge comes up with.

Thanks, Recusant:computerwave:

It will be interesting to see what Dredge comes up with. :popcorn:
It will be interesting to see why he brought up the Nephilim topic, as well.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Certain Protestant preachers are big on demonology, and according to one particular interpretation, the Nephilim are descended from the union of fallen angels with human women, and therefore EVIL!!! So killing them and their babies would be GOOD!!!

However, the Catholic church doesn't really support the doctrine that Nephilim are descended from fallen angels. In fact, church fathers like Augustine specifically rejected it on metaphysical grounds (angels are of a different "nature" than people--and so mating with them is impossible).
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on February 23, 2017, 06:00:12 AM
Certain Protestant preachers are big on demonology, and according to one particular interpretation, the Nephilim are descended from the union of fallen angels with human women, and therefore EVIL!!! So killing them and their babies would be GOOD!!!

However, the Catholic church doesn't really support the doctrine that Nephilim are descended from fallen angels. In fact, church fathers like Augustine specifically rejected it on metaphysical grounds (angels are of a different "nature" than people--and so mating with them is impossible).
But... :headscratch:
...God and Mary are/were of different "nature."
God raped her, and Jesus was born.
That is/was possible?  :eyebrow:
Angels can't mate with humans, but god can?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on February 23, 2017, 06:19:18 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2017, 05:31:17 AM
Quote from: Arturo on February 23, 2017, 05:04:36 AM
Because God did it and that makes it okay.

Lol idk what that means but it's just a guess

:lol:
I'm sorry.
That's just how I look at people when they start to talk to me about god.

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2017, 06:30:42 AM
Quote from: Arturo on February 23, 2017, 06:19:18 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2017, 05:31:17 AM
Quote from: Arturo on February 23, 2017, 05:04:36 AM
Because God did it and that makes it okay.

Lol idk what that means but it's just a guess

:lol:
I'm sorry.
That's just how I look at people when they start to talk to me about god.

Lol well I am an atheist. I hope you know what I meant now.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dragonia

I was raised Protestant and probably never heard the Nephilim mentioned one single time, in all the thousands (no joke) of sermons I have heard.
The people who make a big deal of Nephilim probably think that they have special insight into the nature of these "people". Those are the people who like to feel smarter and more spiritual and more highly favored by God than the rest of us.  It's Christian arrogance. Love it.....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

Quote from: Dragonia on February 23, 2017, 01:03:26 PM
I was raised Protestant and probably never heard the Nephilim mentioned one single time, in all the thousands (no joke) of sermons I have heard.
The people who make a big deal of Nephilim probably think that they have special insight into the nature of these "people". Those are the people who like to feel smarter and more spiritual and more highly favored by God than the rest of us.  It's Christian arrogance. Love it.....

I think you're describing narcissists.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Dragonia on February 23, 2017, 01:59:16 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 22, 2017, 07:41:16 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 21, 2017, 05:56:00 AM
Point 1 - Do you know who the Nephilim were?
I don't know who the Nephilim were.
Could you please tell me who they were, according to you, and/or your god?
I think you're asking Dredge this question,  but to save time, I can answer.
The popular thought is that Nephilim were the offspring of "sons of God" (fallen angels? Actual young gods? Regular humans; because elsewhere in the Bible, men are referred to as sons of God? We don't really know)  and human women.
The Bible doesn't say a whole lot about them, except that women found them "beautiful" (super hot), they were men of "great size", and they were "mighty men, men of reknown".
The Bible is pretty cloudy about whether they were god or bad, they seem good upon a first reading, but if you read into surrounding passages of scripture, you might see that they were evil. Some people even think that they were aliens.
So, in other words, nobody really knows who the Nephilim were. There certainly isn't enough info in that Bible to justify mass genocide to eradicate them.

I really value our ex-theists who know their bible inside out!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on February 21, 2017, 04:16:01 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 21, 2017, 05:53:26 AMAny miracles approved by the Church are not the work of charlatans.

It must be very comforting for you to believe that.
And what do you know about how the Church goes about accepting a miracle?  I suspect ... nothing at all.  You get your "information" from atheists and other assorted enemies of the Church, who don't know what they're talking about either.  Or you see charlatans like Benny Hinn in action and presume that all other Christians operate likewise.  So you speak from a position of rank ignorance, rendering your opinions on the matter worthless.

QuoteIn this thread you've moved from questioning whether any Christians actually justified the murder of babies to being a Christian that justifies murdering babies. You must be proud of this manifestation of spiritual growth.
As far as I know, the God doesn't murder babies.  You support abortion, which is murder, and yet you try and preach to me!  You're a first-class hypocrite.

Furthermore, an atheist has no right to preach his morality to anyone else, since his morality is purely subjective, being being based on nothing more than his own opinion.  Having no reference point or authority but his own thoughts, no atheist can say, "I am right and you are wrong."

Besides, the lower animals have no morality, so why should human beings?  According to atheist theology, a human being with morals is as meaningless as a flea with morals.  And your religion - science - says, life has no meaning, so the murder of babies has no meaning.  Therefore your concern for the murder of babies has no meaning; it's just vacuous rhetoric and a philosophical dead-end.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dredge

Quote from: Dragonia on February 21, 2017, 03:07:07 PMDredge ... your responses are quite unsatisfactory to me.
No kidding!  In that case, I won't waste any more time addressing your other queries, although I will make the point that your "wife = rape her repeatedly until she gives up" theory is not found in the Bible but is pure invention on your part (you probably got this idea from some poisonous feminist literature).

You also need to distinguish between what God commanded and what some Hebrews did of their own accord.  For example, after the events described in Judges 21, we read, "In those days ...  every man did what seemed right in his own eyes."

You opinion of the God of the Bible seems unbalanced.   There is a lot more to this God than just being a Destroyer of the wicked.

----------------------------

Perhaps you think I have been a Catholic all my life and have never bothered to question my faith.  No; I was not always a Christian ... but then I saw the Light.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Arturo

Quote from: Dredge on February 28, 2017, 11:39:51 PM
Quote from: Recusant on February 21, 2017, 04:16:01 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 21, 2017, 05:53:26 AMAny miracles approved by the Church are not the work of charlatans.

It must be very comforting for you to believe that.
And what do you know about how the Church goes about accepting a miracle?  I suspect ... nothing at all.  You get your "information" from atheists and other assorted enemies of the Church, who don't know what they're talking about either.  Or you see charlatans like Benny Hinn in action and presume that all other Christians operate likewise.  So you speak from a position of rank ignorance, rendering your opinions on the matter worthless.

QuoteIn this thread you've moved from questioning whether any Christians actually justified the murder of babies to being a Christian that justifies murdering babies. You must be proud of this manifestation of spiritual growth.
As far as I know, the God doesn't murder babies.  You support abortion, which is murder, and yet you try and preach to me!  You're a first-class hypocrite.

Furthermore, an atheist has no right to preach his morality to anyone else, since his morality is purely subjective, being being based on nothing more than his own opinion.  Having no reference point or authority but his own thoughts, no atheist can say, "I am right and you are wrong."

Besides, the lower animals have no morality, so why should human beings?  According to atheist theology, a human being with morals is as meaningless as a flea with morals.  And your religion - science - says, life has no meaning, so the murder of babies has no meaning.  Therefore your concern for the murder of babies has no meaning; it's just vacuous rhetoric and a philosophical dead-end.

I don't remember recusant ever doing more than asking you a question. If that's preaching to you then you might have some problems identifying social cues. (Maybe too much time in the church?) Anyway you spin it, it's still an exaggerated misrepresentation on your part.

I hope you understand that we don't spin things according to our personal beliefs, or at least try not to. And when we do make a mistake, someone points it out to us and we correct it. It's a slow and rigorous process of perfection, but it works.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: Dredge on February 28, 2017, 11:52:26 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on February 21, 2017, 03:07:07 PMDredge ... your responses are quite unsatisfactory to me.
No kidding!  In that case, I won't waste any more time addressing your other queries, although I will make the point that your "wife = rape her repeatedly until she gives up" theory is not found in the Bible but is pure invention on your part (you probably got this idea from some poisonous feminist literature).

You also need to distinguish between what God commanded and what some Hebrews did of their own accord.  For example, after the events described in Judges 21, we read, "In those days ...  every man did what seemed right in his own eyes."

You opinion of the God of the Bible seems unbalanced.   There is a lot more to this God than just being a Destroyer of the wicked.

----------------------------

Perhaps you think I have been a Catholic all my life and have never bothered to question my faith.  No; I was not always a Christian ... but then I saw the Light.

So what we have here children is a cherry picker in it's natural habitat.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱