News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

OK, mine is not a great title, but I think that the article linked below is superb, as well as somewhat troubling. Trump's demagoguery and its symbiosis with a particular demographic fits into a rather dark pattern. The initial disclaimer is not much comfort, in the light of what follows.

"Donald Trump and the 'F-Word'" | The Washington Spectator

QuoteDonald Trump is not a fascist––probably.

His ex-wife Ivana once claimed he kept a volume of Hitler's collected speeches in a cabinet by his bed, and read from time to time the fuhrer's vision of human life as a pitiless war of all against all. "If I had these speeches, and I am not saying that I do, I would never read them," he told Vanity Fair in 1990. But consider something the architect of Trump Tower, Der Scutt, once said on how to evaluate the truth value of Donald Trump claims: "divide by two, then divide by four, and you're closer to the answer."

Trump worships armed force, pronouncing at a rally in August in Derry, New Hampshire: "I believe in the military and military strength more strongly than anybody running by a factor of a billion." (Applying Scutt's formula, that means Trump believes in military strength 125,000,000 times more than Lindsey Graham, who opened his presidential campaign with a promise to go to war with Iran.)

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

What astonishes me is his ability to continue blathering even after being called out on it (like this fondness for the bible, despite knowing little to nothing about it).  It's so massive and impervious I almost have to admire it.  Almost.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 12, 2015, 01:45:07 AM
What astonishes me is his ability to continue blathering even after being called out on it (like this fondness for the bible, despite knowing little to nothing about it).  It's so massive and impervious I almost have to admire it.  Almost.
It's one of the techniques of a confidence man, you are supposed to stick to your story no matter what. If you sound confident enough, if you deny and keep to your story well enough, people start to doubt the facts and trust the story. Of course it works better in a personal environment, especially one where looking up the facts is difficult, but if Republicans looked up facts, they wouldn't be letting these idiots represent them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

The essay addresses this. In the section titled "Direct mail hustlers," Perlstein talks about how a certain conservative demographic is targeted by the hustlers, and also describes Trump's long history of blatant self-serving dishonesty: He knows his audience.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I am baffled by the fact that this clown is in first or second place in the polls, and has been at or near the lead for quite some time.  :???:

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on November 12, 2015, 02:49:15 PM
The essay addresses this. In the section titled "Direct mail hustlers," Perlstein talks about how a certain conservative demographic is targeted by the hustlers, and also describes Trump's long history of blatant self-serving dishonesty: He knows his audience.

I can't read the essay -- that much Donald depresses me.
Sandy

Crow

Quote from: Icarus on November 13, 2015, 05:49:54 AM
I am baffled by the fact that this clown is in first or second place in the polls, and has been at or near the lead for quite some time.  :???:

What! Really!? I thought he was considered a joke candidate still. Perhaps that is due to me following the instagram account of donaldtrumpdoingthings.
Retired member.

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM
OK, mine is not a great title, but I think that the article linked below is superb, as well as somewhat troubling. Trump's demagoguery and its symbiosis with a particular demographic fits into a rather dark pattern. The initial disclaimer is not much comfort, in the light of what follows.

"Donald Trump and the 'F-Word'" | The Washington Spectator

QuoteDonald Trump is not a fascist––probably.

His ex-wife Ivana once claimed he kept a volume of Hitler's collected speeches in a cabinet by his bed, and read from time to time the fuhrer's vision of human life as a pitiless war of all against all. "If I had these speeches, and I am not saying that I do, I would never read them," he told Vanity Fair in 1990. But consider something the architect of Trump Tower, Der Scutt, once said on how to evaluate the truth value of Donald Trump claims: "divide by two, then divide by four, and you're closer to the answer."

Trump worships armed force, pronouncing at a rally in August in Derry, New Hampshire: "I believe in the military and military strength more strongly than anybody running by a factor of a billion." (Applying Scutt's formula, that means Trump believes in military strength 125,000,000 times more than Lindsey Graham, who opened his presidential campaign with a promise to go to war with Iran.)

[Continues . . .]

If Mr. Donald Trump has been insulted for what he has said, so far, then I don't think there anything else I can add to the list--I'm sure everything has already been said, even the F word.

I think this is the reason he hates us:It's official: Latinos now outnumber whites in California

...And because:California's Economy Poised to Overtake Brazil. If California were a country, it would be one of the largest economic powers of the world.

The article you posted says:
QuoteThe leader of a white-supremacist think tank toldThe New Yorker: "I don't think Trump is a white nationalist," although he did reflect "an unconscious vision that white people have––that their grandchildren might be a hated minority in their own country . . . he is the one person who can tap into it."
These people can sit around and talk about how much this concerns them, that's fine, but while they talk about it, we, the 'Mexicans' will continue to get up early in the morning and go to work--every fucking day so that the government can provide some of these people who hate us--food stamps and welfare checks. Yet, they claim that we, 'the undocumented' are the ones on welfare and food stamps when they know that 'the undocumented' don't qualify for these programs.

On a personal note, Mr. Donald Trump has made me cry--twice. His words and the words of the Beverly Hillbillies who follow him hurt. But what hurts the most is that all some of us can do, because we are undocumented and can't vote, is beat up a piñata that looks like him to get rid of our frustration.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 14, 2015, 08:21:31 AM
The article you posted says:
QuoteThe leader of a white-supremacist think tank toldThe New Yorker: "I don't think Trump is a white nationalist," although he did reflect "an unconscious vision that white people have––that their grandchildren might be a hated minority in their own country . . . he is the one person who can tap into it."

I wonder if it's possible this white supremacist will ever realize that, while going from majority to minority is just the luck of the draw and part of the inevitable changes that happen over time, being hated is generally under our own control.

Also, there are Trump pinatas?
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 14, 2015, 10:57:01 AM
Yes.
Photos: Donald Trump pinatas selling fast in downtown Los Angeles.

Look at the comment someone made at the bottom of the article:
SO where is the ILLEGAL ALIEN Pinatas ? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Mags, I did not know that you were sensitive about the sort of stuff that some shit head has uttered. Please don't be.

If you watched the Nov 16th Democrat debate you will have been pleased. Both Hillary and Bernie rose soundly to the defense of our immigrants, documented or not. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 15, 2015, 02:50:31 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 14, 2015, 10:57:01 AM
Yes.
Photos: Donald Trump pinatas selling fast in downtown Los Angeles.

And me with a birthday coming up.   :frolic:

QuoteLook at the comment someone made at the bottom of the article:
SO where is the ILLEGAL ALIEN Pinatas ? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Some people just gotta be assholes.  They're the ones who end up perplexed that they're hated.
Sandy

Magdalena

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on November 15, 2015, 06:16:27 AM
Mags, I did not know that you were sensitive about the sort of stuff that some shit head has uttered. Please don't be.

If you watched the Nov 16th Democrat debate you will have been pleased. Both Hillary and Bernie rose soundly to the defense of our immigrants, documented or not.
:-*
You're very sweet, my dear Icarus.

Now, let's keep talking about the Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald  :smilenod: