News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Joining the revolt

Started by harte.beest, May 13, 2012, 02:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 14, 2012, 04:39:04 AMIn the Atheist/Theist battle of ideas theists can use the aggressive angry approach of some atheists against us.

Look at those grumpy unhappy atheists.  We don't want to be like them do we my sheepy friends?  No, baaah, grumpy bad baaaah happy good baaaah.   Green=Pudding the theist shepherd mode.

I think it is the feeling of some here that we should avoid giving them such a weapon to use against us.
Others are repulsed by religion's ugly murderous past and reject associating us with such a thing, even in jest.

Well said, Magic Pudding. You're not just another pretty face wearing a stunning hat.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

Well said. There's a reason it's called "Happy" Atheists
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on May 14, 2012, 04:44:21 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 14, 2012, 04:39:04 AMIn the Atheist/Theist battle of ideas theists can use the aggressive angry approach of some atheists against us.

Look at those grumpy unhappy atheists.  We don't want to be like them do we my sheepy friends?  No, baaah, grumpy bad baaaah happy good baaaah.  Green=Pudding the theist shepherd mode.

I think it is the feeling of some here that we should avoid giving them such a weapon to use against us.
Others are repulsed by religion's ugly murderous past and reject associating us with such a thing, even in jest.

Well said, Magic Pudding. You're not just another pretty face wearing a stunning hat.

Hear, hear! ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: harte.beest on May 14, 2012, 01:38:34 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 13, 2012, 02:28:59 PM
Welcome!

You can start by reading everything you can that Carl Sagan wrote.

Your username brings up fond memories. Plains were full of hartebeests.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. it is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend to persist as the new bamboozles rise.) "

-Carl Sagan (The Fine Art of Baloney Detection)

Carl "The Saganist" Sagan :-X

It's a start. Just how green are you?

harte.beest

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 14, 2012, 05:50:44 AM
Welcome!

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. it is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend to persist as the new bamboozles rise.) "

Whats "green" mean?

kitty

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 14, 2012, 04:39:04 AM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 14, 2012, 01:42:35 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 14, 2012, 12:33:33 AM
I don't understand the "protest".  ???
The General has informed me, all further discussions are classified, we may continue via private message, unless the General says otherwise :-X :-X :-X

In the Atheist/Theist battle of ideas theists can use the aggressive angry approach of some atheists against us.

Look at those grumpy unhappy atheists.  We don't want to be like them do we my sheepy friends?  No, baaah, grumpy bad baaaah happy good baaaah.   Green=Pudding the theist shepherd mode.

i couldnt agree more. too many innoncent lives have been lost and i dont want to be a part of anything that tells one person they must die just because they dont agree with what i believe.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

kitty

Quote from: harte.beest on May 14, 2012, 06:59:45 AM
Welcome!

Whats "green" mean?

this is my intepretation; when a tree first begins to grow, its a teeny tiny shoot, very fresh and green. only through time does it grow big and strong, with a thick trunk and a massive root ball.
i personally am quite green, as in, i'm very new to atheism.
hope that helps.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

En_Route

Quote from: kitty on May 14, 2012, 10:45:46 AM
Welcome!

Whats "green" mean?

this is my intepretation; when a tree first begins to grow, its a teeny tiny shoot, very fresh and green. only through time does it grow big and strong, with a thick trunk and a massive root ball.
hope that helps.

I'm a pale shade of magenta myself. But that's down to my fondness for port. Which also probably explains my gouty irascibility.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

harte.beest

I'm not sure ??? is there some kind of quiz I should take?

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Whats "green" mean?

hope that helps.

This. :)

*snaps fingers* Experience. Whaddaya got?

harte.beest

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 14, 2012, 11:13:27 PM
Welcome!

Whats "green" mean?

hope that helps.

This. :)

*snaps fingers* Experience. Whaddaya got?

a thick trunk and a massive root ball :-*

xSilverPhinx

I find that somewhat difficult to believe (Sagan's made a skeptic out of me)

En_Route

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 14, 2012, 11:34:08 PM

Those with impressive dimensions do not need to mention them.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

harte.beest

I honestly don't know how to measure my atheism ???

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 12:10:31 AM

I honestly don't know how to measure my atheism ???

What's your story?

Quote from: En_Route on May 14, 2012, 11:37:28 PM

Those with impressive dimensions do not need to mention them.

You're right, they get other people to mention it for them.

Not to get all cliché, but does who are insistant on mentioning them are over-compensating for something. ;D