News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The spurning of large families?

Started by SisterAgatha, January 11, 2018, 04:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

sweetto...
I mean, Agatha,

How come you don't answer?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Fiver to charity says Aggie will never reply on this, tenner that we never hear from Aggie again.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

My dear, Dave,  :smileshake:

Oh...He/she will be back. I don't want to brag, but what the heck! We are..What's the word/words I'm looking for...?  :notsure:
Ah, yes! Addictive and irresistible...like a fine wine.
:grin:

Watch...He/She will post again, and again.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Guardian85

Quote from: SisterAgatha on January 11, 2018, 04:03:07 PM
Why is it that couples who have large families (in the realm of 7-10 kids) are look at as freakish and unnatural?

It's like we as a society don't value the contribution and sacrifice of women who bear up to 7-8 children for the improvement of society, but we honor people who are physically attractive and get into trouble.
Does not improve society. Already too many people in the world.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Just taken a look into the tangled, ethically and scientifically, jungle that is involved in the causes and effects of large families.

It is simplistic to say that the causes and effects, globally, are mainly economic (large families=large, cheap labour source but require feeding, requiring more resources and/or labour - consider also pseudo-feudal systems or share-cropping in some agricultural economies, eg, some Indian stares.) However that is the impression - though, globally, there are a lot of Catholics, members of the only major religious sect to forbid contracption by other than the rhythm or withdrawal system, as well.

Even more contentious is the effect on psychology and intelligence. But a brief tour, trying not to be selective, seems to indicate a tendency towards decreasing IQ with increasing family size, later children being the woret off.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_and_intelligence

Family size and intelligence, .pdf:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.econ.ucla.edu/people/papers/Black/Black490.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj_zbXp7N7YAhUEWxQKHfRVDoYQFjAAegQIFRAB&usg=AOvVaw2HAltbvAQMBds72gEKO6FR

My speculations:
But it must be so that the real result is a combination: poor, large families in 2nd/3rd world countries may have more problems than large rich families in 1st world countries. In those countries where there is a large contrast between family economies maybe the "envy" factor plays a part in large, poor families.

For the kids of large, poor families, with lots of competition for resources, I wonder what the effect on ambition is - any strong drive will cause a desire for betterment, acheivable by relatively quick, easily accessed but criminal methods or slow, but surer, hard work and whatever academic education can be found. The choice may depend on the "birth order" factors, mentioned in the above PDF, involved in the development of IQ.

Looking at economics I chose to ignore the national variety and look for spending power. Wiki seems to indicate a strong correlation vetween religiosity and low ibcome, or the other way round:

Religiosity and education, mainly in America:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_education

Pasta Chick

Just popping in to mention that the Duggers of "19 Kids and Counting", who project an image of hard work, honesty and self sustenance, are freeloading pieces of shit

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 18, 2018, 12:38:00 AM
Just popping in to mention that the Duggers of "19 Kids and Counting", who project an image of hard work, honesty and self sustenance, are freeloading pieces of shit

And also that the Xtian defense of incest in large families was basically "that's just one of those things".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

SisterAgatha

Quote from: Dave on January 16, 2018, 05:40:29 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on January 16, 2018, 05:33:18 PM
Oh look, here's another example of one of those wonderful, large, Christian Families abusing kids. How nice.

House of Horrors: Inside creepy Christian family who shackled and starved children

That is a sickening story about the sick things religion does to people and the effect that has on innocent kids.

Come on, Catholic Aggie, tell us why their god and ever loving lord, same one you worship, told them to have all those kids, then treat them like, or worse than, animals.

Im sure God's message was sort of garbled and mistranslated.

That is no  way to treat children.

Notice they were not raised Catholic. Clearly God was not speaking to those demon possesed parents.

Dave

Quote from: SisterAgatha on January 19, 2018, 08:10:39 PM
Oh look, here's another example of one of those wonderful, large, Christian Families abusing kids. How nice.

House of Horrors: Inside creepy Christian family who shackled and starved children

That is a sickening story about the sick things religion does to people and the effect that has on innocent kids.

Come on, Catholic Aggie, tell us why their god and ever loving lord, same one you worship, told them to have all those kids, then treat them like, or worse than, animals.

Notice they were not raised Catholic. Clearly God was not speaking to those demon possesed parents.

But your "god" and their "god" are surely the same "god", false though it might be. No, hang on, saying any "god" is false implies there are "true" gods.There are no message from any god but those psychological errors in the minds of deluded people.

As the evidence shows thoe most religious countries in the world are also the most violent with the worst health and education records and the most autocratic, right wing or  unstable governments (China is a special case, no religion and left wing, sort of). It does not matter what the religion is and I will, for the moment, include America as having some of those above "qualifications".

If religion is do great why do so many from those most religious countries want to get out to the godless Western or Northern countries, but still dragging their religious baggage with them? Oh, sorry, forgot that violence and lack of hope in their homelands.

I am all for love, charity, good deeds, helping my neighbour, even helping a stranger - but do not need a fantasy daddy (or even a Flying Spaghetti Monster) to tell me to carry out those actions. I am quite capable of seeing the need all by myself and quite willing to do what I can.

Though you offered a totally typical inadequate religious cop-out of an answer, Aggie, since you did respond at all you have earned a secular children's charity called "Young Minds", that helps deal with the illness caused by such things as mental, emotional and physical abuse, an extra donation.

Velma

Quote from: SisterAgatha on January 19, 2018, 08:10:39 PM

Oh, please. The Catholic Church hardly has clean hands when it comes to the mistreatment of children.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/time-vatican-releases-wide-raning-statistics-priests-defrocked-rape-child-abuse-article-1.1781825
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2010/mar/11/catholic-abuse-priests
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/06/4444-victims-extent-of-abuse-in-catholic-church-in-australia-revealed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/nuns-abused-hundreds-of-children-1171988.html
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/us/13nun.html

I could have spent the next year posting links and come nowhere near running out.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Davin

Here's another one to add to the list:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/09/11/400-children-from-scottish-orphanage-of-horrors-believed-buried-in-mass-grave-media-report-says/?utm_term=.f3c748d42b25

Quote"The kids were put in sacks and thrown in the ground in the hole," Lavery said. "They were harshly beaten and quite a large number were sexually abused."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dragonia

WAIT! I thought Sister Agatha was banned! HOW is this happening?? I'm confused. And sad.  :sshocked:
Maybe my wires got crossed.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

Quote from: Dragonia on January 22, 2018, 08:17:08 PM
WAIT! I thought Sister Agatha was banned! HOW is this happening?? I'm confused. And sad.  :sshocked:
She got suspended twice and then banned.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on January 22, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Don't worry, she's very much banned.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Yes, my wires were crossed. I didnt pay attentiin to when those sister agatha quotes had been posted. 
Attention to detail, self!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)