News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Mythbusters, they shot a house!

Started by Asmodean, December 08, 2011, 10:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Zany experiments testing scientific theories in real-world settings have earned the TV show MythBusters a devoted following, but a stunt gone awry met with an unhappy audience when an errant cannonball went shooting through a California family's bedroom.

Sheriff's deputies are still measuring how, exactly, the cannonball flew from a bomb range in the rolling hills flanking a suburban San Francisco Bay area neighborhood and rocketed into the front door of a home and through its master bedroom before landing in a neighbor's parked minivan.

Source

Asmodean, naturally enough, approves  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

It was bound to happen someday, all things considered.  Their insurance must be sky high already, I'd love to see what this does to it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Screw that! I just hope they get all the necessary release permits in order to actually include that in one of the episodes!  ;D

Actually, I suppose their insurance is pretty much as expensive as it can be, what with them frequently setting each other and unsuspecting property on fire, demolishing cars (and poor Buster, let's not forget) and doing all the other fun stuff that, quite literally, costs ya  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Bugger! I hope it doesn't have too much of an impact, I love that show.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

frankly, I'm just impressed that a cannon ball was able to keep traveling after hitting that many things.

Asmodean

Quote from: Whitney on December 08, 2011, 11:48:36 PM
frankly, I'm just impressed that a cannon ball was able to keep traveling after hitting that many things.
...And hit something resembling a target in the end, rather than ending up in a ditch somewhere.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Happy_Is_Good

Well...I think MythBusters has confirmed that 150+ year-old military technology is very lethal - and so was war way back then!  As a result, the American Civil War was probably the bloodiest Civil War ever fought (on a soldier vs soldier level as a percentage).  More American soldiers lost their lives in the American Civil War than American Soldiers in both World Wars and Vietnam/Korea combined!

Maybe this should make us think about "War" the next time some politician starts "Rattling Sabers" or "Beating the Drums for War".   

I hope so.

Tank

Well the trouble with America is that unless Canada or Mexico invades there will never be a war on American soil. They never really appretiate the impact of war. As war becomes a more distant memory in Europe then this also happens here.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on December 11, 2011, 10:57:20 AM
Well the trouble with America is that unless Canada or Mexico invades there will never be a war on American soil. They never really appretiate the impact of war. As war becomes a more distant memory in Europe then this also happens here.
Yes, America seems to love wars as long as they are located far away from America (next stop Iran?). I just wonder why anyone in America would still believe that insignificant counties, thousands of miles away from America, are a serious threat to America.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on December 11, 2011, 09:13:27 PM
(next stop Iran?)
I sort of hope they try... Some blood thirst that needs satisfying and all...

On a more serious note, many would die in such a war no matter what, but what do you think Iran's allies would do..? It is not beyond Russia, for instance, to suddenly decide to stretch its war muscles...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.