News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Reason

So is this a good idea for a thread? I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for general discussion, thoughts and notions. If you have a gripe, or just want to shoot the bull about whatever.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Tom62

What's on my mind? Well, it is almost 2 o'clock in the morning and my bottle of 10 year's old Laphroaig is nearly finished, so all what's on my mind now is to go to sleep. Tomorrow (I mean today) is a busy day. Have work in my garden (that looks more like a jungle now) and pack our  suitcases for our three week's vacation in Portugal.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Squid

On my mind?  Lots of things.  My stomach which is aching from eating too much shrimp gumbo, hoping I got a job I interviewed for this past week, thinking I should read two journal articles for my health psychology class, wondering what I should do my thesis on, and passing ideas for songs I might work on.

shoruke

What's on my mind? Well I'm actually talking to my girlfriend right now, so... yeah. She is.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

McQ

Quote from: "Tom62"What's on my mind? Well, it is almost 2 o'clock in the morning and my bottle of 10 year's old Laphroaig is nearly finished, so all what's on my mind now is to go to sleep. Tomorrow (I mean today) is a busy day. Have work in my garden (that looks more like a jungle now) and pack our  suitcases for our three week's vacation in Portugal.

Did you say Laphroaig?  :shock:

You are my new favorite person in the whole world! LOL!

I am a "FOL". There is always a bottle or two on hand in my house. The best single malt in the universe!

I need a new bottle of the cask strength. I'm almost empty.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

Quote from: "McQ"Did you say Laphroaig?  :shock:

I am a "FOL". There is always a bottle or two on hand in my house. The best single malt in the universe!

I fully agree with you. I would almost say it is like heaven, sitting in a cosy chair near the fireplace in wintertime after dinner, enjoying a good glass of Laphroaig (or even an Arbeg, Lagavulin or Bowmore), chatting with friends and afterwards enjoy a good cuban sigar.

Luckily for me that my wife has diplomatic status, which means that she can buy those "necessities" of life taxfree.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "McQ"Did you say Laphroaig?  :shock:

I fully agree with you. I would almost say it is like heaven, sitting in a cosy chair near the fireplace in wintertime after dinner, enjoying a good glass of Laphroaig (or even an Arbeg, Lagavulin or Bowmore), chatting with friends and afterwards enjoy a good cuban sigar.

Luckily for me that my wife has diplomatic status, which means that she can buy those "necessities" of life taxfree.

I'll be right over!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

I'm currently rescheduling my family vacation, which is going to have to get bumped due to a work commitment.  Thus far this year, I have taken 1 day of vacation.  I have used 0 sick/personal days over the past 13 years I've been employed.  I'm taking a whole half-day on Monday because it is my eldest daughter's first day of kindergarten.  The vacation I'm rescheduling is only 4 days, so I'll have burned a grand total of 5.5 days this year out of my theoretical 20 that I can take.

So I'm feeling a tad frustrated - but it'll all work out.

I'm letting my grass dry out before I try to mow it today --- its been storming mercilessly here in the American midwest and my grass has grown a tremendous amount in the last few days, but it has always been raining so there has not been an opportunity to cut it - today is sunny so I'm "seizing the day".

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow night I'll brew my recipe of "brown ale", the ingredients for which are sitting in my fridge (hops are in the freezer) as I type.  I was going do this friday, but I worked until 10:00 PM so I just went to bed.  Then, I was going to do it yesterday, but I worked in the afternoon and had dinner with my family, so decided to just veg instead.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I work too much  :wink:  !

Tom62

I've just finished working in my garden and I must say it was an ordeal in the hot sticky weather. I'm now going to take a shower, open up a bottle of ice cold beer and watch a good video.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Good deal Tom62 - I, too, finished my outside chore and got my lawn mowed.  I already drank a bottle of beer (New Belgium's Skinny Dip Ale - its really good, a lot like their Fat Tire just lighter and a little spicier - New Belgium brews out of Fort Collins Colorado and is probably unavailable outside the US).

I'm also happy to announce that my fermentation gear is sanitizing - I'm brewing my brown ale tonight!  And the vacation reschedule mostly worked - just missed a few things.

Its all coming together.

Steve Reason

I'm hooked on Heineken as far as beer goes. Man that's a smooth tasting beer. :D
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

SteveS

I like Heine's as well, Steve Reason.  If you can't get it on tap, it tastes far better out of the "keg cans" than the bottles (just poor it into a glass first instead of drinking it straight out of the can).  The green bottles seem to skunk at an alarming rate....

I'm pleased to announce that my brown ale has been brewed, and is presently awaiting the onset of fermentation in by basement.  I escaped with only two brew-day injuries - I kicked a misplaced circular saw blade in my garage and cut my leg (superficial), and I burned my left index finger but only slightly - as I'm consuming the last batch of homebrew I find the pain decreasing already  :wink:

Squid

Beer?  Beer good.  Fat tire is excellent.

I also dig on Shiner's Hefeweizen but Paulaner makes an even better one.  Another I really enjoyed, which I can't seem to find anymore around here is Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale.

Tom62

I've never really liked Heineken. It taste a bit too sweet and too artificial for my taste buds. As a matter of fact, it was voted to be the worst tasting dutch beer in a blind taste test under dutch students. Much better dutch brands are Grolsch, Dommelsch and Hertog Jan. Like Squid I also love to drink a good Hefeweizen, like Paulaner. The best beer however, according to my german wife (and I have to agree with her) comes from Belgium and is called Duvel (http://www.duvelusa.com/). Other great Belgium beers are Chimay, Kwak, Westmalle, Palm, Hoegaarden and Leffe.
Robert A. Heinlein

tigerlily46514

Squid-good luck on your thesis!  Let us know when you do decide on your topic.

SteveS--oh, i hear you about the lawn taking over!  It is trying to take over my life --every time it doesn't rain--gotta cut itj again!  bites.  and it still looks too tall between sunny days..

I'm a run&diet coke gal myself.  No hangover.  ...can turn it's strength up and down like a dimmer switch.

Right now I'm thinking about the 500 jello-shots i make for the lake's Labor Day bash coming up.    Our lake has an area called "the Shallows" where everyone anchors their boats, and walks around and parties with eveyone else.  All our friends are there, and the lakers all know each other, forever, like a great big family.   Hundreds of fun people out in the sun.  

We grill out there, and share our food and drinks and dance in the water to the band, which is on some pontoons strapped together.  it's a blast.

If anyone needs jello-shot recipes---'pm' me.
 They call me jello-shot on the lake i hang on....not exactly what ya want people to be calling you when you are in your bathing suit....ha ha!!!but i'm kinda well-known for these shots.  I bring 'em to every big lake party.

i myself don't really like jello-shots, but, they do add some fun to parties!!!!  They are fun to pass around.  

time to go cut the grass again...i'm getting a goat!!!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."